Success story

More
25 Nov 2013 01:07 #15786 by Pattaya01
Success story was created by Pattaya01
Just to give the people working on this project a heads up, every now and then we should not only report the bugs, issues and problems, but also the victories.

In my case:

I am using Devo12S, loaded with 3.1.0, Beta 11.

Recently I have started flying multicopter with APM 2.5. I was already using the APM 2.5 on my fixed wing with success, so I decided to install a second APM on the home made quad.

All went well, and after many test flights I noticed a strange phenomena. In stabilized mode, there were "twitches" where the multicopter made sudden, short moves in any direction. At first I ignored it, as I thought it was because I just started and I may have made some mistake in the settings. But after tuning, checking and re-checking, the problem remained. So I posted a question on RCGroups, the APM multicopter thread. Mr. Lefebvre, one of the developers replied and after some exchange of log files, he came to the conclusion it had to be a TX/RX problem, possibly because of a compatibility problem between Devo and the APM PPM encoder.

I tried several Devo RX, 2 times a 10 channel and on 12 channel, but the problem remained.

I then switched the protocol from Devo to DSM2, put a 9 channel Spektrum receiver on the quad, reprogrammed the mixers and channels and gave it a try.

I took off in stabilized mode............... solid as a rock. No glitches, twitches, nothing.

If it wasn't for Deviation, it would not have been possible to just simply switch protocol, put on another brand receiver and solve the problem.

Thanks guys... :kiss:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2013 05:15 #15791 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Success story
Strange.
I don't have any glitches with the DEVO protocol...

More
27 Nov 2013 01:14 - 27 Nov 2013 01:15 #15885 by Pattaya01
Replied by Pattaya01 on topic Success story
Are you flying APM 2.5? Copter or Plane? Devo 12S?
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 01:15 by Pattaya01.

More
27 Nov 2013 05:14 #15894 by FDR
I mostly fly a Walkera quad and some micro CPs, but they are sensitive enough to show the glitches if there were some...

I use a DEVO 8, but it shouldn't matter, because the protocol code is the same, and also it's not the hw, because as you wrote DSMX doesn't effected...

More
27 Nov 2013 05:18 #15895 by Pattaya01
So that means, you are NOT using APM 2.5, right?

More
27 Nov 2013 05:30 #15897 by FDR
Yes, indeed, but you are saying that a standard DEVO receiver produces glitches through it's PWM outputs, while a DSMX rx does not.
If there were glitches in the DEVO's output, every other model (sensitive enough) should feel them...

More
27 Nov 2013 05:48 - 27 Nov 2013 05:51 #15899 by Pattaya01
No, I was not saying a standard Devo receiver produces glitches. What we discovered is that the output of the Devo receiver, is not compatible with the input of the APM 2.5. Most likely, there are no glitches at all in the output of the Devo receivers.

So you are completely right, if there were, every model would see them.

It is almost 100% sure it is a timing problem, and the problem lies with the APM software.

The problem was solved, switching to another protocol = another timing = compatible with APM. If it wasn't for Deviation, I would have had to buy another TX.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2013 05:51 by Pattaya01.

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds