HELP!! running into problems with Skyartec module

More
21 Apr 2014 00:26 #22612 by jacklscott3
Hey friends,
Ive been working on adding a Skyartec module (XL2500-D03) to my devo 7e. After literally 5-or-6 attempts I am about to pull my hair out! I mean, I'm no stranger to a soldering iron I worked repairing electric guitars for 3 years & currently work wiring pressure and temp gauges into DAQ systems. Granted the wires I'm using with the module are a little smaller than what I normally work with, but they are not THAT MUCH smaller! With as many attempts as I've made, Ive got to believe at least one of them had good connections. I re-wired it multiple times thinking i probably creased one of the tiny wires at a solder port and was losing connection. however this last attempt I went with a small braided wire to prevent any creasing, as well as using hot glue for strain relief. After all this I still get the same result.

So Here's what happens:
I plug the battery into the heli, the LED blinks slowly. I flip on the TX and the LED on the helicopter instantly begins to blink rapidly, then it goes solid for a moment (usually less than 2 seconds but it varies) at that point the helicopter did bind to the tx, and is responsive to commands. But very quickly the connection cuts out or becomes intermittent which causes the LED on the Helicopter to go off until it connects again. I have found that when I pick up the module and actually touch some of the connection points, obviously being careful not to short the transmitter, I can sometimes regain the connection. this sounds like its an obvious short in the soldering, but I just can't find it!! So I'm wondering if it could possibly be an issue with the antenna? or programming? or perhaps I didn't follow the proper schematic. I Purchased two different cc2500 modules, and neither one looked exactly like the images shown in the module installation guide.
the one I currently have wired in is the XLR2500-D03.
The only pins I did not use were: RFC, GDG2, GDO0
Im pretty sure the GD pins are just digital outputs, but I don't know what the RFC pin is for. maybe I am missing something. I don't know!

oh btw, I did edit the TX.ini file so that it shows "enable-cc2500=A13" and I tried the corresponding '‘has_pa-cc2500=_" set to '1' as well as '0' (i read a post saying that worked for someone, but it had no effect for me. It behaved identically regardless of that power setting)

Sorry for this novel of a post! haha, Im just starting to get really frustrated with this project :angry: , and I've hit a wall. PLUS I had to send my DX6i out to Horizion because it was having issues, so my Devo is all I have left. With it out of commission because of this project I haven't flown in a couple days.. and we all know, ALL WORK AND NO FLYING MAKES JACK A DULL BOY! haha PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!
THANK YOU!
-Jack

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.023 seconds