Bleeding and frustrated

More
29 Jul 2014 23:13 #24895 by badbob88
Bleeding and frustrated was created by badbob88
Ok here goes: i have a devo 7e with deviation 4 on it. Just got done chopping a large chunk of skin off finger cuz i foolishly had prop on while trying to figure this out. Seems like everything on here has setups I don't understand.

Would love someone to point me to the "dummies" section or give me an ini file that will work for a normal 4 channel plane, or elevons and rudder with devo 7e and a devo RX601 receiver. Would love to figure this stuff out, but could use a friendly nudge TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2014 18:30 #24916 by badbob88
Replied by badbob88 on topic Bleeding and frustrated
Ask the most basic but of advice after hours of reading and all I get is nothing, except some body flagging me.whatever...

More
30 Jul 2014 20:36 #24921 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Bleeding and frustrated
There is no dummies section. if you struggle with a new computer or phone, you'll struggle with Deviation.

But, ask specific questions and we'll answer.

You basic 4 channel plane has a template built-in, just select it (read the manual to find out how).

Elevon templates you can find on the forum, but it would be best to understand what is elevon mixing. They are complicated for an inexperienced person.

Take a look:
[channel2]
reverse=1
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=FMODE0
scalar=50
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
switch=FMODE0
scalar=50
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
switch=FMODE1
scalar=75
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch2
switch=FMODE1
scalar=75
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=45,45

[channel3]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch3
switch=FMODE0
scalar=50
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=!AIL
dest=Ch3
switch=FMODE0
scalar=50
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch3
switch=FMODE1
scalar=75
curvetype=expo
points=45,45
[mixer]
src=!AIL
dest=Ch3
switch=FMODE1
scalar=75
muxtype=add
curvetype=expo
points=45,45

The example above is an example of what elevon mixing is all about using channels 2&3 with a DSM2 receiver.

1. Channel 2 is left elevon
2. Channel 4 is right elevon

The magic is done by the initial src=AIL or src=ELE and muxtype=add. Whether the channel is normal or reversed is dependent on how the servo is installed.

I'm sorry but I can't explain how this works in layman's terms. Probably tomorrow when I'll be less tired (11:30PM here :))

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
30 Jul 2014 21:30 #24925 by badbob88
Hey thanks for the reply. New computer phones etc, I learn how to use, but there is usually a "quick guide" or something to get you going. I've spent years learning my trade and can do amazing things, I see people on here doing things that are incomprehensible to me. Its all a matter of your particular skill set. I work 50 hrs a week as a CNC machinist and don't consider myself a mental slouch or too lazy to research, just time strapped. So i was hoping for a guide that explained WTF a muxtype is, etc.
I decided to do the smart thing, I think, and start with my 3 channel nutball and start piecing things together.

Again, thanks for your response, and I apologize for my frustration.

More
31 Jul 2014 02:19 #24927 by Alexfmx
Replied by Alexfmx on topic Bleeding and frustrated
If u need any flying wing model files with dualrates and so on, just pm me here or on rcgroups and i will help u out.

More
31 Jul 2014 05:05 - 31 Jul 2014 05:43 #24929 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Bleeding and frustrated
I would just concentrate on using the GUI at first and leave the model inis alone for a while.

And (hopefully) clear up things about muxtypes, they are simply put mathematical operations (or operands). Think about having a complex mix like having a simple ecuation like 'z = x + y'. Your x can be AIL or another channel, your Y can be ELE, and the muxtype is the '+'. So basically the result is 'take x then add y' and output this to channel Z.

In a complex mixer, you can chain these operations. The most basic one is 'replace' which usually is the first in chain (just leave it like this for now, you can later select a switch and basically break up a complex mixer into pieces). There is no 'substract' muxtype, but you can have negative scale values, which basically does the same thing (well, sometimes would be easier to have an actual 'sub' muxtype, but that's another discussion).

Another type of mux is 'mult' which basically can multiply 2 or more inputs. Most basic usage would be to mix a certain percentage of a channel into another.

You would have an equation like this:

z = x * percent + y

The percent part is controlled by the 'scale' (or 'scalar' in model ini) setting inside a mixer page. A scale of 25 would translate to 25% (or 0.25 if you'd like).

For example:

ELE (scale=100) * (curve type = fixed, scale=25) + AIL

would mix 25% of elevator + aileron into a channel you have this mix on.

When you see ELE, AIL, THR, RUD, they are sticks inputs not channels. Very important.

This is what elevon mixing does, mixes ELE and AIL together, see my example.

Hope I cleared some things up.

PS: Damn I should write a small 'Applied Deviation' booklet.

Edit: my example also uses FMODE0/1 to have dual rates with elevons. I could do it much simpler with 2 virtual channels but then the trims would get scaled up or down, this is caused by the way Deviation does some things internally.

badbob88 wrote: Hey thanks for the reply. New computer phones etc, I learn how to use, but there is usually a "quick guide" or something to get you going. I've spent years learning my trade and can do amazing things, I see people on here doing things that are incomprehensible to me. Its all a matter of your particular skill set. I work 50 hrs a week as a CNC machinist and don't consider myself a mental slouch or too lazy to research, just time strapped. So i was hoping for a guide that explained WTF a muxtype is, etc.
I decided to do the smart thing, I think, and start with my 3 channel nutball and start piecing things together.

Again, thanks for your response, and I apologize for my frustration.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 31 Jul 2014 05:43 by sbstnp.

More
31 Jul 2014 13:28 #24938 by badbob88
Thank you both very much, this helps

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds