Strange problems with SLT

More
14 Dec 2014 01:29 - 15 Nov 2015 20:49 #26947 by RoboHeli
Strange problems with SLT was created by RoboHeli
Hi all,

I've got a Devo 7e with the an NRF24L01 module taken from a WLToys V202 controller installed in it (Thanks, Daryoon!) I've been using it to fly my V202 with the V202 protocol, the HiSky HMX120 (actually, a HobbyKing mQBot rebrand) with the HiSky protocol, and the HeliMax 1SQ with the SLT protocol.

The 7e also has an A7105 installed in it, and the range mod has also been applied. It's also got two 3-way switches installed. I'm running Happy Harry's latest build (devo7e-noperm-92e1705):

www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/2661-7e...mitstart=0&start=140

So far it's been great!

That is, until I tried to set up models for my HeliMax Axe 100 FPs (two of them). These use the SLT protocl and they both work great when I fly them with my AnyLink adapter.

However, when I tried to set up a model for them with the 7e, I'd be able to get them to link for a while but then I'd start having problems with the servos freezing up momentarily (seemingly at random). When I throttle up, I'd get some motion but then I'd very quickly get the motor shutting down and the LED on the board would start to blink. It's as if there's some sort of problem with the RX board receiving data from the transmitter. I've tried with different fixed-IDs than 123456 (randomly tried) and I've reverted to no fixed-ID on the Axe 100FP model but I've not had any luck.

Anybody able to fly their Axe 100FP or 100CP properly with their 7e? I'd like to know what your hardware configurations and firmware are. Are there things about the SLT protocol that I should be aware of such as any magic with the fixed ID?

Thanks!
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 20:49 by RoboHeli. Reason: Updated title to reflect new information

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2014 15:30 #27001 by victzh
Hi, I am the author of SLT module. I don't have 7e equipped with nRF24, I have only Devo 10. I will check later what I have from Axe line and whether it works or not on my Devo - I didn't check for a while, and bitrot, you know, can do its job ;-)

More
23 Dec 2014 01:55 #27156 by RoboHeli
Hi victzh,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for not checking back sooner. I forgot to subscribe to this thread so that I'd get responses by email.

I'd also be more than happy to loan you one of my SLT birds that I'm having problems with if it'll help.

More
13 Jan 2015 02:02 #27640 by RoboHeli
I wanted to post an update. I took my 1SQ to an indoor funfly last weekend and tried to fly it with my 7e. Unfortunately, it did not work. I was able to bind but with the throttle at zero, the quad started randomly spinning its blades at full throttle for a fraction of a second. This happened several times and I decided it wasn't safe to fly in that environment.

So I got out my AnyLink adapter and flew the 1SQ with that. No problems at all.

More
15 Nov 2015 20:44 #40083 by RoboHeli
I've been away from my Devo 7e and the SLT protocol all summer as I've been flying my bigger helis at my club field. Now that it's getting cold where I live and I'm not flying outside anymore, I decided to give the 7e another go.

First, as a reminder, my 7e has been modified to include 2x 3-way switches, the range mod, and has the following modules installed: a7105 & nrf24l01. (Thanks again, Daryoon!!!)

I first downloaded the most recent nightly build I could find:

www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...s-nightly-2015-10-25

and upgraded my 7e to that version (Devo7e-v4.0.1-583c468).

I set up a brand-new SLT model for my Axe100FP and was able to get it to bind. I test flew it today and for the most part, it flew very well. However, I did have one problem. About two minutes into the flight, the motor shut off and the heli fell straight down to the floor. I saw that I still had servo control and was able to take off again. This happened twice more before my battery ran out. This definitely wasn't a range issue because I was flying around my living room.

I'm super happy that I was able to get so much control out of the heli. Perhaps it was the version of the firmware that I was using before. Perhaps I didn't properly install the filesystem after I upgraded the firmware back in January when I first started trying this. I don't know.

I've talked a little bit to victzh about this protocol and it seems that the fixed-ID that's being used is 123456. Because the frequency hopping algorithm apparently uses some of this number, I'm wondering if there are a list of numbers that victzh has tested his algorithm with that I could try. I mean, I could just try some random numbers and see what happens, but I'd like to know whether there is any sort of rhyme or reason that I could apply to the search for IDs.

More
15 Nov 2015 21:29 #40085 by RoboHeli
Replied by RoboHeli on topic Strange problems with SLT
I just tried flying my Axe 100 FP again.

With Fixed-ID 123456, the motor shut off about 30 seconds into the flight. I had servo control after the heli bounced on its skids and I tried again. Within a few seconds, I had another drop out.

I changed the Fixed-ID to 111111. I selected Re-Init from the TX and that seemed to make the heli lose its link. I power cycled the heli and pushed the little button on the RX board and got it to re-bind to the TX. I flew again, but I got some more dropouts.

With about 2 minutes left on the battery, I dug out my AnyLink and Devo10 and flew the model for the remainder of the time without any dropouts with that hardware.

So I'm thinking that there's still something wonky with SLT, the Fixed-ID I'm using, and/or my hardware.

More
16 Nov 2015 02:35 #40102 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Strange problems with SLT
We have issues with other aircraft with SLT, so the protocol may well needed work.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
16 Nov 2015 03:20 #40109 by RoboHeli
Replied by RoboHeli on topic Strange problems with SLT
Ah, okay. I'm super happy to be a beta tester if an opportunity ever arises.

I've got the following SLT models that I can test with: 1SQ, Axe 100 FP (and the MD530), and Axe 100 CP.

More
19 Nov 2015 17:47 #40221 by cyclicstick743
Replied by cyclicstick743 on topic Strange problems with SLT. 1SQ works, not Axe100FP
I recently purchased a BNF Nine Eagles Solo Pro 290 with the 3 blade main and rear rotors, Lama scale fuselage 200 size helicopter, thinking that it would bind with either my Devo 7e or 8S ver 4.0.1 that I upgraded early last year. Unfortunately, even with the Tactic Anylink2 adapter that I have kept stored for a rainy day, the helicopter would not bind. 9Eagles unfortunately have discontinued this model in the US that the online hobby store never revealed. However, I had a hunch that the fact the price dropped half of its original price of over $345. I have all the connectors for the Anylink2 adapter for the Devo 7e and 8s upgraded to Deviation firmware and I have another Devo7e with the stock version 2 firmware. Non of these Devo transmitter would bind. I have kept the model beyond the return period and I may end up having a display model that cannot fly. As a last recourse, I will have to use my Spektrum DX6i that came with a RTF Blade 450X that I have never flown and have just kept in its box stored for almost 2 months. When I use the stock 7E, the Anylink2 adapter would beep and the red led would light in letter A which is the correct letter for Walkera 7e using the adapter wire C; at the same time, the led would display the icon of the Anylink2. Where as, Anylink2 would not work with the Deviation 7e and 8S. I do not know what I am doing wrong but it would just beep and not bind with my SLT receiver Lama scale heli. BTW, I have flown 2 of my upgraded Blade Red Bull 130X using either the Deviation Devo 7e or 8s using the DSMX or DSM2 protocols with no problems. Any suggestions with greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

More
20 Nov 2015 08:21 #40236 by mwm
Are you sure that heli is an Anylink SLT heli? Most of the ones in the US seem to be, but I believe nine eagles had thrree different versions of that bird with three different protocols.

The RTF version used the J6Pro transmitter, supported by deviation with the protocol of the same name. All the US versions and the later Chinese versions used the AnyLink SLT protocol. And IIUC, the early Chinese (and possibly other countries) used the GeneralLink SLT protocol, which was different. But I haven't actually put my hands on one, so I can't be sure. I gave them a long look, and was going to get the RTF version just to avoid the confusion, but stumbled on the walkera 4F200LM on sale and got that instead.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds