Good receiver option for Devo7e w/ NRF24L01 module

More
31 Mar 2015 07:02 #30524 by DroneBee
What is a good receiver option for use with my Devo 7e? I have an NRF24L01 + pa + lna module installed. I have not done the range mod on the stock TX board.

I am looking to build an FPV 250-sized quad and all the kits say "pick the receiver of your choice" - are there any known issues that I should avoid? Should I care about telemetry (seems cool but not really sure how necessary it is)? Since I have not done the range mod, would I get better range or reliability with using one or the other TX?

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2015 12:26 #30535 by Arakon
I'd actually do the range mod and go with a spektrum Satellite or similar (i.e. LemonRX DSMX Satellite for 9$). They're extremely small and light, which is pretty much exactly what you need on a 250 size quad.

More
31 Mar 2015 20:38 #30575 by DroneBee
Perfect. Thanks for the input!

More
31 Mar 2015 20:42 #30576 by mwm
I'll second Arakon's suggestion. The only problem with the Spektrum stuff is they're behind the curve on telemetry (my Proto X has telemetry, for goddess's sake!). I've used the LemonRx, the OrangeRx and Spektrum gear without any issues.

Telemetry, in order of usefulness:
  • Flight battery voltage is the real win. Having the Tx buzzing at you is better than anything happening at the quad, and a voltage monitor is more accurate than a timer.
  • GPS can help you find a lost quad.
  • An altimeter provides an answer to the question "How high can it fly?". Well, one that's better than "Higher than you can see it", anyway.
  • Air speed, G-forces, various temps might be interesting, but that's about it. Maybe motor temps on all four motors if you fly lots of batteries back-to-back.
  • RSSI on a racing miniquad isn't all that useful, as you never get close to out of range.

For an FPV quad, you might consider getting an OSD system instead of Rx-based telemetry. No RSSI, but you can get everything else, plus spiffy things that the Rx-based stuff can't do, like a "which way home" indicator.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Apr 2015 20:54 #30708 by DroneBee
That is a drool-worthy list, mwm. Just so I've got this straight, if I'm considering going with a LemonRX , I would still have the option of adding the $44.80 Lemon telemetry system at a later date? Is it possible to get telemetry info from the sensors on a FCB like Flip32+ ? That seems like a cheaper way to go.

More
02 Apr 2015 23:07 #30718 by mwm
Yes, you can add telemetry gear later.

Whether or not you can get Spektrum telemetry off of your flight control board will depend on the flight control board. They all use different protocols for getting data into the Telemetry Tx, and not all gear even from the same manufacturer will work with all Rx's from that manufacturer.

PhracturedBlue suggested using FrSky (which I didn't suggest to you because it needs a CC2500). I believe arduinocopter supports that.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds