Momentary Losses of Communication w/7E, Range Mod?

More
17 Jul 2015 16:43 #35566 by stringrazor
My friend's 7e is still acting up. It seems to be losing contact for a split second every 15-20 seconds or so. He'll be flying his DSM2 SuperX quad and all of a sudden it doesn't respond to input for a split second then it's OK again. It doesn't do it when bound to my 7e.

I did the range mod and installed an A7105 in his 7E (did that to mine plus added an NRF... over a year ago, no issues). On his, I subsequently removed the A7105 and re-soldered the diode jumper for the range mod (losing the diode in the process but it's not needed). Still, the issue persists.

Questions:

1 - Has anyone seen this type of problem before and is it likely a range mode issue or something else?
2 - Any idea how to debug something like that? I don't have any RF tools.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2015 18:12 - 17 Jul 2015 18:14 #35574 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Momentary Losses of Communication w/7E, Range Mod?
Sounds like Holds.

Is the RX LED blinking?

Can he do some ground range test with Spektrum AR6210 (data port) or AR400/AR600/AR610 (well best is 2 receiver antennas A + B/L like AR6210/AR8000) + TM1100/TM1000 with Telemetry enabled Spektrum FlightLog?
Of course that will not work with THIS DSM2 SuperX ;)

Check his range for 30-35m and 60-65m.

See what you get for
- FrameLosses (0 or 20-30 or even worse >40)
- Holds >0 (must be 0)

Thomas
Last edit: 17 Jul 2015 18:14 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
17 Jul 2015 19:52 #35582 by stringrazor
Replied by stringrazor on topic Momentary Losses of Communication w/7E, Range Mod?
What are Holds and what can cause them?

We can check range but we don't have access to those receivers.

More
17 Jul 2015 22:23 #35589 by aMax
And what about at simple range check with lowest power setting, are the distances equal for both tx?
If they are, something is not working with the mod. Then the last option is the walkera telemetry module for Devo 8/12.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
18 Jul 2015 14:33 #35609 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Momentary Losses of Communication w/7E, Range Mod?
Spektrum Hold = 45 continuous FrameLosses (lost TX packets of control)

1 FrameLoss = fades on antenna A + B or A/L simultaneously, if there are two separate antennas in the RX)

If only internal antenna A has all the fades, that could mean that two diversity antennas on A both have had no connection.

Yes, you will have to test on 100uw/300uw/1mw output power what distance you can get.
AR6210 on 1mw ~62m.

Last option: Well I do not use any Devo receiver or telemetry module.
But I doubt that it will provide more information about signal quality than a Spektrum FlightLog TM1000 telemetry module and appropriate Spektrum DataPort receiver?

Can you give an example in a separate Thread aMax? E.g I never have seen pictures / screens / manuals how Walkera
compares to Spektrum FlightLog.

Both will not help you on the quad and THAT (internal) DSM2 receiver, but may show you what is going on with this transmitter in general. Only Spektrum genuine DSM2 receivers with higher channel count seem to be have a DataPort.
Have not seen it on AR500 and 6CH receivers so far.

More
18 Jul 2015 15:44 - 18 Jul 2015 15:52 #35615 by aMax
Pardon, you got me wrong,
I meant the upgrade RF module for elder Devo 8/12, the S module to achieve the telemetry function.
....referring to a possible bad RF module at the 7e....

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 18 Jul 2015 15:52 by aMax. Reason: adding a sentence

More
19 Jul 2015 07:15 #35649 by stringrazor
Replied by stringrazor on topic Momentary Losses of Communication w/7E, Range Mod?
I re-worked the diode short yet agin again. I am certain the short is good and there are no unwanted solder bridges. The issue happens ONLY with the SuperX (Naze 32 board). Other DSM2 and DEVO models work fine. The SuperX functions without problems bound to another 7e running the same Deviation version 4.0.1-51df623 and using the same ini file. It makes no sense at all.....

More
19 Jul 2015 13:54 #35655 by Thomas.Heiss
What receiver / antennas does the SuperX have?

Have you meassured the quad antenna length?

It should be about ~31mm (1/4 quarter wavelength).

I once had a Blade 200QX with a red copper antenna which only was 25mm long.

More
19 Jul 2015 17:17 #35657 by stringrazor
It has an "integrated DSM2 receiver". I haven't measured the antenna but why would it only be a problem with one 7e and not the other?

I've also been able to get 2 E-flite/Spektrum MLP4DSM transmitters to work wit h the SuperX and problem that I'm having with the one Deviated 7e does not happen with those. The bind stays locked there's no momentary loss of control. Unfortunately both of those transmitters exhibit a Throttle stick bump that registers in Cleanflight as going from about 1680 to 1880 with nothing in between so smooth throttle control at that point isn't possible.

It's really maddening that DSM2 and DEVO protocols on that 7E work fine for other models (an old Blade MCX2 coax heli and a v2 Walkera Ladybird quad) but NOT for the SuperX. At this point, I'm fairly confident that I did the range mod correctly (diode removed, small wire shunt & solder).

The SuperX FCB does have a USB port which allows connection to Cleanflight. I wonder of there are any other utils I might be able to connect to to get more info on what's happening with the Rx....?

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds