7e toggle icons/object positions on main screen

More
14 Aug 2015 00:09 #36856 by skretchmer
Is there a good manual about the toggle icons and positioning objects on the main screen for the 7e? The 7e/10 manual herein is not correct by far, the icon list is half correct at best, and the statements about screen positioning are incorrect. By editing the model file in windows you can put any object anywhere you want on the screen. Any object type can be placed anywhere by using a grid numbering system. It would be useful to have a correct icon numbering chart, and a bit-map for size of different object types for planning out the layout.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 00:51 #36857 by greenfly
I have not seen anything like that. It would be nice though. Maybe we can add another appendix to the manual. I have learned the most by seeing what other people do in their model files, but I guess the ultimate way to know is to look at the code and the bitmaps themselves.

More
14 Aug 2015 01:26 #36858 by Epyon
I enjoy modding the crap out of my main screens. A few random, useful tidbits: 27 is the max number of items (toggle icons, boxes, bar graphs, trims, etc.) you can have. Well actually 28 if you count the model name. Speaking of the model name, you can not move or remove it. You can however, layer things over top of it. You must space them 1 pixel over and 1 pixel down or the model name shows over top for some reason. As far as toggle icons, you need a 1 pixel space all around them or they'll blank a pixel column/row of whatever is next to it. I use a lot of 2/3/4 piece icons I just work the blank space into the design and put the toggles right up against one another.
Icon numbering, I can't help on. I've never even attempted to match the ordering.

File Attachment:

Here are a few of my model.ini's, and corresponding toggle.bmp's.

File Attachment:

File Name: modelsandsuch.zip
File Size:11 KB

BACK UP! yours first if you're gonna try anything.
Attachments:

More
14 Aug 2015 04:00 #36861 by mwm
Can you please provide more detail about the problems with the manual than "not correct"? Starting with whether you're using the manual linked to in the menu on the left, or a PDF download? If you do, I'll fix them. Or if you'd rather, I can show you how to submit corrections that we can incorporate directly.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Aug 2015 21:34 #36889 by greenfly
The online manual seems correct but, there is still a deficit of information needed to manual configure the Main Page layout. Section 9.7 is a good start for what is available, but more technical information is needed to actually manipulate the GUI section correctly.

[gui-128x64]
V-trim=55,10,1
H-trim=1,59,3
V-trim=69,10,2
H-trim=78,59,4
Big-box=2,26,Ch1
Small-box=2,39,Timer1
Small-box=2,48,Timer2
Bargraph=79,30,Ch1
Bargraph=85,30,Ch2

We need to know things like the keywords for all the objects, the values needed for each object, the size of the objects, etc...

More
15 Aug 2015 01:21 #36896 by mwm
Ah, the manual generally doesn't cover what's in the model file, and that's on purpose. You're supposed to use the GUI for that. I added a section on Safety issues, because I got tired of dealing with problems with it in the forums. Looks like Hexfet may have fixed the primary source of problems as well.

I guess the 7E needs a section for GUI manipulation. Possibly that should be in a wiki page. But it's not something I can write.
Thanks.

More
15 Aug 2015 01:40 #36898 by skretchmer
Replied by skretchmer on topic 7e toggle icons/object positions on main screen
9.7.1. Configuring object position
Note: This feature is not available for Devo7e.

the ability to do lots of screen customization in the 7e via the .ini file, is available, but the manual does not show this, or give the details as what greenfly said.

Epyon- your stuff looks way cool, and is much more advanced than I would ever try. I was happy with having bar graphs for all 8 channels, and the battery voltage where I wanted it.

More
15 Aug 2015 03:47 #36904 by greenfly

skretchmer wrote: ... I was happy with having bar graphs for all 8 channels, and the battery voltage where I wanted it.

I didn't know my 7E even supported bar graphs for channels... until I downloaded someone's hand-edited model file. The configurable GUI is a great feature, why not promote it's use? Even if it's just for "power users"...

More
15 Aug 2015 05:55 #36908 by mwm
Well, there's an entire section on how to configure the main screen in the the manual. But it covers doing it on the Tx, which is one of the features you lose with the 7E. Much as I'm a CLI kind of guy, configuring the GUI is a lot easier on the Tx. If I still had a 7E, I'd probably do the GUI config in the devo10 emulator, and then copy it over to my models. That way, everything is documented.

More
15 Aug 2015 10:30 #36910 by robca
Would it be viable to edit a screen on a Devo 10 emulator and then upload the ini to a Devo 7e?

If not, would it be possible to enable the main screen configurator on the Devo 7e emulator (which I assume does not suffer from the memory limitations of the real HW)?

Judging by the traffic on forums, the #1 platform for the Deviation is the 7e (I might be wrong, but that's my impression), so offering some ways of doing it would be nice.

Otherwise someone needs to create a GUI for it ;)

More
15 Aug 2015 12:33 #36912 by mwm

robca wrote: Would it be viable to edit a screen on a Devo 10 emulator and then upload the ini to a Devo 7e?

Same screen, same controls, so it ought to work fine. That's why I suggested it. The one issue is that the switches are different, so you'd have to change the toggle icon settings later. Or use my switch converter utility.

If not, would it be possible to enable the main screen configurator on the Devo 7e emulator (which I assume does not suffer from the memory limitations of the real HW)?

Sure. Not clear doing that in the release will ever fly, but you can get a test build here: deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo7elayouteditor

More
15 Aug 2015 13:22 #36913 by robca

mwm wrote:

Sure. Not clear doing that in the release will ever fly, but you can get a test build here: deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/2...m-devo7elayouteditor

That's awesome, thanks! (where's the "bowing to your greatness" emoticon when you need it? :))

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds