WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable?

More
14 Sep 2015 11:54 #37755 by Nightstalker1993
WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable? was created by Nightstalker1993
Hi guys, I just installed a WK-CTL01-D Telemetry module on my Walkera V450D03 with the stock RX2703-D RX/Gyro system and have 3 temp sensors installed and 1 volt wired to the battery connector. My problem is that the connection seems very intermittent and unstable, After taking off the telemetry boxes goes black occasionally but stays black most of the time and sometimes it would not reconnect at all. After landing the heli, even with it right in front of me, the telemetry would still be detected as offline(blacked out). After a unplugging and replugging the battery it would then connect again like normal but usually after taking off the connection would be really intermittent and sometimes while flying I have a glance down the screen, some values(let's say volt) would be blacked out while others are active.

Also, voltage reading seems to be off by around 0.2-0.4v. I do not have the fixed ID and relies on auto binding and had tried 2 antenna position, one on the frame/landing skid portion and another position on the tail boom holder, which is next to the rx antenna but also same result. Next will try placing it on the landing skid itself opposite side of the ESC but I predict the problem would remain as before this after landing with the heli right in front of me it still didn't re-establish connection. Telemetry module shows steady red.

Any suggestions guys? Really hard to find much information about this telemetry module. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2015 13:17 #37756 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable?
It's possible if you use Deviation v4.01. Try to use latest nightly build.

www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/212-mwm-newnighlyt

More
14 Sep 2015 14:00 #37761 by Nightstalker1993
Replied by Nightstalker1993 on topic WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable?
Thanks for the quick reply, will try out the latest nightly and see. Forgot to mention though I was on what I THOUGHT was the latest nightly, the 26-7-2015 one. Will give this a try and see how it goes. Hopefully the signal will be stable after this!

Also something unrelated, the detected voltage of the transmitter battery seems to be off. At 2.5v it shows around 2.2v only and at 12v the tx reads 11.7xv. Nothing serious but just wondering if this was normal. I'm using a 3s '2200mah' lipo on my Devo 10.

More
14 Sep 2015 15:25 - 14 Sep 2015 15:31 #37762 by Nightstalker1993
Quick update. After a short 1 minute 'bench' test holding the heli in my hand and spooling it up, the connection seems to be stable now. Previously the connection disconnected almost immediately after spooling up and rarely reconnects even after landing, now it does not disconnect at all but then again the heli was in my hand. Shall do a flight test tomorrow and see if the problem comes back, but so far everything seems promising. Thanks guys!

Some bonus pics on how I mounted my WK-CTL01-D though. Metallic tape on the ESC acts as a heatsink, just installed earlier, will see how effective it is tomorrow as well ;)

Last edit: 14 Sep 2015 15:31 by Nightstalker1993.

More
15 Sep 2015 00:26 #37770 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable?
I wouldn't worry much about 5 or even 10 percent on a voltage readout on RC gear. Getting those accurate requires using more expensive components. Since they mostly get used in comparisons with a user-settable level, it doesn't have a major impact, so why raise unit costs by doing it?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Sep 2015 10:52 #37780 by Nightstalker1993
Just finished 4 packs of batteries, reporting in that the telemetry works nicely and from the looks of it, it did not lose connection at all throughout all the flight, so problem solved there! ;)

And yes The error seems to be around 0.2 volts only. Is there anyway I can calibrate or adjust this though as it seems to be just a zero error, make it add 0.2v to the voltage value received would be nice. I don't really believe that it would require expensive equipment to read voltages accurately. My cheap battery voltage checker/beeper reads voltage pretty accurately compared to even a Fluke multimeter, and the Walkera Telemetry module is definitely not a cheap add on.

Anyway, overall still happy with the telemetry, now I can fly based onn battery level and also quickly land in case any of the important items starts overheating.

Thanks guys!.
Attachments:

More
15 Sep 2015 19:13 #37784 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic WK-CTL01-D Telemetry Unstable?
It doesn't require expensive equipment, it requires (relatively) expensive components. You have to replace all the 10% parts you can use everywhere else - because digital - with 1% or better parts. In something that's reporting a voltage that's going to be compared to a user-adjusted value, a 10% error is irrelevant, and won't even be noticed unless the user - like you did - compares the reported values to something designed to be accurate.

So why raise the price?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
16 Sep 2015 13:38 #37805 by Nightstalker1993
Okay makes sense then. I guess I'm just too used to accurate readings from my multimeter and my cheap voltage beeper but then again, as long as the item does it's job and have decent amount of accuracy then it's all good then. Today just flew another 4 packs, telemetry doing good with good connection all the way.

Thanks guys for making Deviation so awesome!

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds