CJMCU Quadcopterframe (STM32 based) ... receiver

More
22 Nov 2015 21:20 #40298 by Richard96816
Recently received a couple very cool micro quad copter boards.

www.goodluckbuy.com/micro-quadcopter-fli...ensor-stm32f103.html

They have everything on board except motors, battery and receiver. And reports that Openpilot and Cleanflight work on it well!

My question, finally ... What about using a $3 nRF24L01 module as a receiver? Instead of a full-on receiver. Closely coupled to a Deviation powered controller, of course. Using the quad's processor. (Standard toy-quad configuration.) Has anyone done this with Openpilot or Cleanflight? Would seem to require a Deviated transmitter. Also seems to open up unique possibilities for doing cool stuff without the limitations of standard receivers.

Another chance to Deviate the tiny quad arena and take it in new and interesting directions.

The quad board is $19. With a $3 nRF module this could prove to be the cheapest Openpilot/Cleanflight quad available.

Any thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2015 23:51 #40301 by mwm
It would only require a deviation Tx if you wrote your protocol from scratch. If instead you ported one of the deviation nrf protocols, you could use any Tx that worked with that protocol.

Same applies to the protocols used by the CC2500, CYRF and A7105 rf modules. IIUC, it's already been done for the FrSky protocol on the CC2500.

Personally, I'd try one of the PCB-board CC2500 modules . While they cost twice as much as the cheap NRF24L01 modules, they are much smaller & lighter. Of course, I have a couple of spare boards for everything but the CYRF module, so I'd weight/size would be the only factors driving me.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Dec 2015 05:52 - 15 Dec 2015 10:37 #40909 by mj666
I'm using Deltang RX31 recivers in some of my smal builds. They are realy tiny and use 7 chanel DSM2 protocol. Connecting them in serial mode give you very precise control. I use an Devo10 as an transmitter. Here you can find some pictures.

Edit wrong link:
www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5177#p53914
Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 10:37 by mj666.

More
15 Dec 2015 06:31 #40946 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic CJMCU Quadcopterframe (STM32 based) ... receiver

mj666 wrote: I'm using Deltang RX31 recivers in some of my small builds. They are really tiny and use 7 channel DSM2 protocol. Connecting them in serial mode give you very precise control. I use an Devo10 as an transmitter. Here you can find some pictures.

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2533601&page=45

Thanks. I've just been trying out some Orangerx R111XN satellite, 12-channel, DSMX receivers. Incredibly small and light (1.4 gram), and only $12 a piece from Hobbyking. They seem to work nicely with Cleanflight so far. No host receiver required for binding. Very cool.

I still think the open source nrf24l01 transceiver based units would be even cooler. Apparently that's what the way-over-priced Crazyflie nano quad uses. It has a Cleanflight build available -- so the work has mostly been done. Eliminating one processor and simplifying the whole system.

Having everything in open source, from transmitter to receiver, to flight controller is certainly the holy grail. Then dumb concepts like 'number of channels' can finally go away. And new, undreamed of concepts and capabilities will arise.

Time to create page: 0.027 seconds