A7105 with SMA connector?

More
22 Feb 2016 03:26 #43445 by misherman
A7105 with SMA connector? was created by misherman
Anyone know where to buy an A7105 with an SMA connector on it? I was reading an article where the author compared antenna performance (excellent technical content with lots of graphs measuring signal reception) and he included an A7105 with an integrated SMA connector and a very short dipole antenna that was as good as the other options tested.

Naturally, it was very late and I didn't write it down immediately, and have been searching around for it on the Deviation and RCGroups web sites all day.

If you don't know where to buy it, any clue as to who wrote it or where to find the article would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 06:00 #43448 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic A7105 with SMA connector?
Hmm. Can't help with the SMA A7105. Did the other options tested include a u.FL connector? The standard A7105-500 recommended for deviation has a pads for an SDM u.FL connector with a short dipole antenna soldered to it for some reason. Removing that dipole is the first step in getting extra range out of it, and soldering a u.FL connector to it isn't a lot harder than hacking up an SMA cable to solder to it as is often suggested.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
22 Feb 2016 10:44 #43452 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic A7105 with SMA connector?
www.banggood.com/10cm-PCI-UFL-IPX-to-RPS...-Cable-p-924933.html
XL7105-D03: www.banggood.com/XL7105-D03-A7105-Modifi...-p922603-q24323.html
www.banggood.com/2_4GHz-3dBi-RP-SMA-Conn...Router-p-979407.html

Pascal Langer added these links to BG review section of XL7105-D03.
Does it not work just to solder in the SMA connector cable to the module by cutting the smaller plug?

What is the idea behind leaving the existing dipol antenna?
You can't have two antennas, don't you???

More
22 Feb 2016 11:29 #43456 by mwm
I don't think anyone is proposing two antennas. I'm saying take the silly thing they ship with it off and solder a u.FL connector in its place. I think the OP was looking to connect a dipole antenna to an SMA connector on the board. If suggest soldering an SMA connector on, except the pads on the board are right for the u.FL connector.

More
22 Feb 2016 17:22 #43464 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic A7105 with SMA connector?
This is what I did:

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Attachments:

More
24 Feb 2016 02:36 #43535 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic A7105 with SMA connector?
All I did was cut off the female end of an sma cable and split the shielding on the pads to the right and left of the antenna pad, than soldered the antenna wire to the antenna pad.Just make sure there is no touching or solder drips between the 2.Take a magnifying glass to analyze it closely I then got some liquid tape and brushed it over the soldering,then I got a piece of shrink wrap and secured the module.My u807 has great range.Hope this helps.Whoever put that u.l connector on that module did an awesome job,that's beyond my skills,lol.

More
24 Feb 2016 02:58 - 24 Feb 2016 02:59 #43537 by mwm
While mine isn't as neat as RedSleds - it was the first time I'd done SMD soldering - it was easier than doing the cable hack and soldering that on.

Last edit: 24 Feb 2016 02:59 by mwm.

More
24 Feb 2016 05:39 #43544 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic A7105 with SMA connector?

mwm wrote: While mine isn't as neat as RedSleds - it was the first time I'd done SMD soldering - it was easier than doing the cable hack and soldering that on.

That was my first time soldering anything SMD. B)

Flux pen made it easy, solder flowed good with a quick touch of the iron, and sucked in right where it was supposed to go. The hardest part was keeping that tiny thing aligned properly until the first pad was soldered, ....man that thing is small !!!

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
24 Feb 2016 19:19 #43572 by misherman
Replied by misherman on topic A7105 with SMA connector?
OK, thanks for all the replies. If I can't find the SMA already attached, then the u.Fl seems the best choice.

So next question - I have found a picture that shows the bottom of one of these connectors, and I see the separation for ground and the antenna. How do you solder this thing? Do you "tin" the 3 pads (or just the center) on the board, then tin the 3 pads on the connector (or just the center), then apply heat to the center nipple??? Then bleed some solder onto the 2 outside edges for the ground? (Yes, this will be my first SMD solder, too. Never tried anything where I couldn't see either surface being soldered.) Understand flux and continuity tester essential.

Also only see one source from google - Mouser electronics @ $.47 for connector and $5 shipping.

More
24 Feb 2016 20:02 #43578 by misherman
Found them on ebay (long wait) and Amazon (2 for $6 but here in 2 days). Always feel good when I don't pay for shipping!
BTW don't look for "u.Fl male connector" on BG.

More
24 Feb 2016 23:27 #43589 by mwm
This came out after I did mine, but is much better than the ones I watched before:

More
25 Feb 2016 05:20 #43599 by misherman
Thanks again. That helps, at least where all the edges are visible. Still unsure of how to do the middle pad for antenna, Tin it then heat either the nipple, or no, probably the tab that extends out a fraction from the center. OK I think I'm ready. Now just wait for delivery... and wait...

Appreciate your help a lot.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds