Devo 10 with 1002 rx & Pixhawk

More
22 May 2016 14:07 #49014 by Paraskevopoulos
Devo 10 with 1002 rx & Pixhawk was created by Paraskevopoulos
Ok after a long time i decide to jump from naza v2 to a pixhawk board with all bells and whistles. (minimosd,telemetry ground/air 500wm, neo 8 gps,etc)
My question now. If i understand right i need a ppm converter to support 1002rx right? Second question. PPM enconders its supposed to use 8 channels right? How its supposed to use full 10 channels of 1002rx? :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2016 15:11 #49019 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo 10 with 1002 rx & Pixhawk
The PPM encoder often packaged with pixhawk is only 8ch, true, however there are others available. Up to 16ch encoders are common on ebay.

The issue is, you run out of time in each packet using PPM with anything over 9 channels. Especially if / when you have many of the channels at max/min (switches up or down).

Your best option is to ditch the devo and PPM converter and get either a PPM receiver or, best bet would be a serial output receiver (Pixhawk accepts direct S.BUS). Many OrangeRx receivers have S.BUS output and are DSMX protocol. I've used the OrangeRx R820X V2 receivers for a while, they give you 14 channels over S.BUS with no add-on encoder needed.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
22 May 2016 15:28 - 26 May 2016 09:06 #49022 by Paraskevopoulos
Replied by Paraskevopoulos on topic Devo 10 with 1002 rx & Pixhawk

Cereal_Killer wrote: The PPM encoder often packaged with pixhawk is only 8ch, true, however there are others available. Up to 16ch encoders are common on ebay.

The issue is, you run out of time in each packet using PPM with anything over 9 channels. Especially if / when you have many of the channels at max/min (switches up or down).

Your best option is to ditch the devo and PPM converter and get either a PPM receiver or, best bet would be a serial output receiver (Pixhawk accepts direct S.BUS). Many OrangeRx receivers have S.BUS output and are DSMX protocol. I've used the OrangeRx R820X V2 receivers for a while, they give you 14 channels over S.BUS with no add-on encoder needed.

Thanks for fast reply my friend. Well the main problem is that my rig (tarot 680 pro, 4108 380kv, 6s battery) is used mostly for long range ap. I have range +-2km with the 1002rx and i read that orange/lemo receivers dont go nowhere this range. Correct me if i am wrong. To be honest i dont understand what you mean "you run out of time with anything over 9 channels. If you can explain me more about this issue i would be greatful.
Last edit: 26 May 2016 09:06 by Paraskevopoulos.

More
22 May 2016 22:07 - 22 May 2016 22:11 #49050 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo 10 with 1002 rx & Pixhawk
A cppm signals standard frame length is 20ms, at that speed, with 8 channels maxed out you BARELY have the time left for a proper sync pulse, start trying to add more than 8 channels and your sync pulse gets screwed up (the sync pulse must always be the longest). Run more than that and you're cutting thr sync pulse to short.

This pic explains why you're still safe with 8ch but this really about it, with all channels maxed you still have time for a 4ms sync (when the channel max value is 2000us meaning the sync is 2x a channel) if you add more channels the sync pulse gets cut into meaning it's less than 4ms meaning it's no longer double a maxed out channel value meaning APM had a hard time telling which is it and which is just another channel.
This is why all the packaged ppm encoders only support 8 channels.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 22 May 2016 22:11 by Cereal_Killer.

Time to create page: 0.028 seconds