Devon 7e and NRF2

More
03 Jul 2016 08:00 #51269 by NathanBarguss
Devon 7e and NRF2 was created by NathanBarguss
Hi!

After getting hooked flying micro toy quads, I wanted to look into building my own, and decided a 7e with a few modules would be the way to go; it'd let me fly what I've already got, and had the potential to be a good value tx that I'd not run out of features on.

I'v average/good skill a with a soldering iron so thought I'd attempt the range mod while I had it open (conductive silver paint) and add the NRF2401L+ as I have a Syma X7 and XinXun X39.

The module is this one:
m.banggood.com/DEVO-Transmitter-Tuner-Mo...ys-V922-p-89812.html

And is wired up as:
www.hacksmods.com/2013/05/nrf24l01-devo7e-pinout/

I installed the latest stable Deviation 5 build, and all seemed to go well.

But neither Quad will bind.

I've tried most things "software" side (I'd as 1111 and 111111 and advanced options under the protocol), I've checked all the connection with a multimeter and Deviation doesn't report a missing module (did check by disconnecting vdd, either of the MOIS lines or TCK TSC lines and when I do that I get the expected module not present)

I've even desoldered the original Devo module and tried with just the NRF2401L present. Still no luck.

Tried on TCK and TSC pins, both seem to work when configured in the hardware.ini file and show "missing module" when they're incorrectly set and no error when the right way round. So I'm pretty sure the Devo is communicating with the chip...

Could just the TX / Power Amp side of my module have been DOA? - Has anyone else had this issue?

I tried to check if there was any actual 2.4ghz transmission but that was inconclusive with the gear I've got (looking for harmonics at 1.2Ghz with a SDR that doesn't go past 2.2Ghz) and the amount of WiFi in the area.

I did wonder if it was down to the environment and WiFi interference, but both stock transmitters work fine and I tried outdoors too.

I'll post pictures if the install when I can, and have a replacement module on order try, but was hoping I'd missed something obvious somewhere! - I want to get out and fly, instead of waiting another month for a replacement; untill then I'm stuck playong with the Devo with the simulator ;)

Thanks,
Nathab

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2016 12:53 #51276 by Nitro_123
Replied by Nitro_123 on topic Devon 7e and NRF2
From my understanding your module seems to be RIP :/
I hope someone else has something else to say about this :)
Your write up and troubleshooting was really good :)

More
05 Jul 2016 15:45 #51317 by NathanBarguss
Replied by NathanBarguss on topic Devon 7e and NRF2
Firstly apologies for the terrible spelling on the previous post / topic. (Writing on your phone is never good!)

Okay, so I have a second NRF24l01 now:
www.amazon.com/Nrf24l01-Antenna-Wireless...cation/dp/B00OIQ8FS6

I wired it up, and I'm getting exactly the same behavior :(

No warnings of missing modules, and no issues... but I can't bind to either quad.

One is a XinXun X39 SKYKING (But a rev 3) the main board is different.
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143273

The other is a Syma x7
www.amazon.co.uk/Syma-Channel-Remote-Con...copter/dp/B00IQN50TE

Neither bind.

One worrying thing I've noticed is that the battery voltage seems to be dropping very quickly. ~0.01v per minute... is this normal?

I wonder if I've killed the 7e?

Any and all feedback appreciated.

More
06 Jul 2016 22:20 #51374 by ketsa
Replied by ketsa on topic Devon 7e and NRF2
I read somewhere people need to add a capacitor to get those low-end modules to work.
Can't remember where.

More
07 Jul 2016 11:45 #51398 by NathanBarguss
Replied by NathanBarguss on topic Devon 7e and NRF2
Hi Ketsa,

Thank, you! - I found something similar here:
arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo (listed under power problems)

So a quick trip to maplin for a dedicated 3.3v regulator and a couple of capacitors... I'll let you know how I get on :D

If there's been a design / component change in the 7E it might explain why I saw another user reporting problems with a PA module, but not without.

Cheers,
Nathan

Time to create page: 0.032 seconds