Invisible files crash Deviation 5.0.0

More
25 Oct 2016 18:21 #55380 by Stefan_Z
Invisible files crash Deviation 5.0.0 was created by Stefan_Z
Hi! I am new and the bugtracker login does not work for me. Hope this is the right place…
Have the 7E modded with 3-in-1 module, works as a charm.
Today I added some icons for my models and used Mac OSX's finder to copy the .bmp files over.
They show up, but when I continue clicking and reach one of those hidden files OSX creates on it's own it briefly displays the name and then crashes.
The filenames are the same as the visible files, but start with "._". So "protox01.bmp" becomes "._protox01.bmp".
The invisible ones are stored alongside the original and if I delete them on the Mac manually, the problems go away.

I also found a second crash / bug - might be related, dunno:
I currently have 3 models stored in the 7E.
If I switch from #1 to #2 and then to #3 and back to #1 all new GUI-elements turn to crap.
If I switch again it normalizes. Can't always reproduce, I guess some pointer is off…

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2016 04:54 #55390 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Invisible files crash Deviation 5.0.0
Superfluous hidden files sounds like the bug to me. Don't use toys like finder to do important non-mac things. Don't you have proper copy (cp) programs and such close at hand?

Unix good. Mac nonsense, not so much.

More
26 Oct 2016 10:24 - 26 Oct 2016 10:28 #55397 by Stefan_Z
Replied by Stefan_Z on topic Invisible files crash Deviation 5.0.0
Thanks, Richard96816 - your answer takes me back to the early 90s…
Those "superfluous" files are there to adjust for the shortcomings of ancient filesystems. Metadata, dates out of the target-FS's range and so on.
Thus I would guess that Terminal will generate those as well - or to be precise the "process in charge of doing this" will when Terminal copies over one of those files.
Having your remote connected and running an Application that scans through your drives for some reason might have the same effect.

So anyway… Telling Deviation to ignore or maybe even delete those files on sight would be a welcome and surely not to complex fix…

After all this is something that might not be obvious to most users - I just found it by chance because the images are shown with filenames.
Having one of those files lead to a crash every time Deviation wants to tell your RSSI is low would be rather "uncool"…
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 10:28 by Stefan_Z.

More
26 Oct 2016 10:56 - 26 Oct 2016 10:57 #55398 by karl.h
Replied by karl.h on topic Invisible files crash Deviation 5.0.0

Richard96816 wrote: Superfluous hidden files sounds like the bug to me. Don't use toys like finder to do important non-mac things. Don't you have proper copy (cp) programs and such close at hand?

Ha ha! Yeah, since when can a programmer no longer trust user input? ;)

Richard96816 wrote: Unix good. Mac nonsense, not so much.

At least he isn't using windows.. :P

Stefan_Z wrote: After all this is something that might not be obvious to most users - I just found it by chance because the images are shown with filenames.
Having one of those files lead to a crash every time Deviation wants to tell your RSSI is low would be rather "uncool"…

Agree! Even though deviation users are probably more tech savvy than most people one can not assume that everyone knows how to deal with this issue. Personally, I have a bash script in my transmitter that I run when I have written files to it.

The problem in this case I assume is the fact that they have the same file extention so deviation expects an image file. Is there a general file loading or directory reader function somewhere that could use a list of files to ignore?
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 10:57 by karl.h.

More
26 Oct 2016 13:49 - 26 Oct 2016 13:54 #55401 by Stefan_Z

karl.h wrote:

Richard96816 wrote: Unix good. Mac nonsense, not so much.

At least he isn't using windows.. :P

Well as a matter of fact I use XP in my trusty Parallels-universe - but that is more like my last resort as I have to fire up Parallels every time and also - you know - Windows… But flashing stuff and CAD-apps usually do not go well with OSX…

karl.h wrote: Agree! Even though deviation users are probably more tech savvy than most people one can not assume that everyone knows how to deal with this issue. Personally, I have a bash script in my transmitter that I run when I have written files to it.

That would be one solution. True.
Is that on OSX as well?

karl.h wrote: The problem in this case I assume is the fact that they have the same file extention so deviation expects an image file. Is there a general file loading or directory reader function somewhere that could use a list of files to ignore?

Why not try something like:
if ($filename.fistLetter == ".") {
    hell_no(moving on, nothing to see here)
}
Last edit: 26 Oct 2016 13:54 by Stefan_Z.

More
26 Oct 2016 17:57 #55422 by karl.h

Stefan_Z wrote: Is that on OSX as well?

Yes indeed! I must admit though that I also have a vm running a super lean install of xp, for ltspice and phoenix simulator.

Stefan_Z wrote:

}

That would probably take care of 99.99% of all cases! (php?)

More
26 Oct 2016 21:05 #55426 by Stefan_Z

karl.h wrote: Yes indeed! I must admit though that I also have a vm running a super lean install of xp, for ltspice and phoenix simulator.

Stefan_Z wrote:

}

(php?)

Well PHP is amongst the few languages I kinda know.
But the above is more like pseudo-code ;-)

More
26 Oct 2016 21:37 #55428 by karl.h
Well, the "$" gave you up. I did a fair bit of php myself in the early 00's.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds