Trying to upgrade devo via mac, not happening

More
18 Nov 2016 08:29 #55999 by mellowvision
Trying to upgrade devo via mac, not happening was created by mellowvision
I've seen several people ask about upgrading via mac, and every time, the same answer seems to be given. "read the manual". This is not a suitable answer or helpful in anyway.

I really dissagree that the manuals are complete or easy to get information from, especially if one is using a mac. I'm an experienced computer user, and find the documentation to be lacking, and every forum thread regarding noob questions or mac/osx usually ends in "read the manual"

if the manual was clear and simple, and included how to upgrade the firmware via a mac, it would be great. but instead the documentation makes assumptions that the reader knows as much as the author, about related technical tools and topics, and doesn't really lay out the path as clearly as the author thinks.

I'll give you an example. on the first page of the manual for devo 6/8/12, it says

"If you do not have the Windows™ operating system, go with the first choice, the Deviation Uploader tool. It is a Java application that was designed by the Deviation developer team to be efficient and simple to use with any Devo radio and any version of deviation or even Devention, if you should wish to revert to the original Walkera firmware. "

but there is no link to this tool. and when I go to the downloads page, there is nothing specifically labelled "Deviation Uploader Tool", it is a buried download inside the DFU USB Tool folder, that was described in the same paragraph above, as for windows only. already confusing. so you find it, download it and then skip down the manual to use this tool on the mac...

"The ‘Deviation Uploader’ is a Java (jar) file. You can either pass the jar file to the Java executable on the command line, or open the file in the GUI, using the Java application to open it. You will need to install Java from www.java.com/ if you haven’t already installed it."

This set of instructions is gibberish to anyone who isn't a developer. This is not straight forward instructions for a new user. Having java installed is not even the issue. How is a new user supposed to know how to use the Java Application to open it or pass it on a command line? What Java Application? Where? At this point an average new user on a mac is stopped dead, and we're only on step one.

Also, there is no specific mention of upgrading a device once it has already had deviation installed on it. Maybe this is the same process as the initial installation. Maybe it is not. The only thing that is certain is that it is not described.

I'm not trying to start any arguments or anything... but I brought up similar issues a year ago in some circles and was met with a lot of "the manuals are complete and detailed"... back then I didn't really need to update, so I didn't. My Devo 6s already has deviation running and it was sufficient. But here I am a year later, and it feels like nothing has changed, except now I need to be able to handle frsky SBUS on my devo and I'm still on a mac, and the instructions still don't actually include steps that are critical to using the software. I've managed to learn how to do everything else I need to do in RC on a mac... but updating my devo is still a mystery.

I'm hoping someone can post some actual instructions and tips in this thread, or update the manuals with specific instructions and screenshots...
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2016 20:28 - 18 Nov 2016 21:01 #56015 by Arnold
I'm a Mac user and I have provided these instructions previously for other Mac users. No complaints so far.

Step-by-step downloads:
- Click on "Downloads" in the sidebar on the left side of the home page on the deviation website.
- Download an appropriate version of deviation for your Devo controller from the "Deviation Releases" section to your computer in a location where you can find it.
- Click on "DFU USB Tool" from the "Downloads" page.
- Click on "DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar." to download the Java software used for installing deviation.
- Go to www.java.com to download the current Java software for your computer if you don't already have it installed. Follow the installation instructions.
- From the sidebar on the deviationtx website, go to the "Links" page http://www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/375-transmitter-stock-firmwaresDownloads/Transmitter Stock Firmwares , where you can find sources for the original Walkera installation files for your Devo, should you decide to fall back or start over.

Step-by-step Installing deviation on the Devo:
- Ensure that your Devo is fully charged before beginning. Interrupting this process will lead to tears.
- Run the DeviationUpload-0.8.0.jar application on your computer.
- Connect your Devo to your computer using the appropriate USB cable.
- On the radio, turn on the power switch while pressing the "EXT" button.
The "Program Update" screen will be displayed on the radio and it is ready to receive an update.
- If your computer prompts you to format the device, accept the default recommendation and proceed. Formatting clears out the file system, but does not affect the firmware. If you had Devention models, they are saved, but are not available to you under deviaton firmware.
- On your computer, look at the "Transmitter" field at the top of the Uploader program that's running. The name of your Devo should appear there shortly after turning on the transmitter.
- Look for the series of tabs marked "Install/Upgrade | DFU | File Manager | Bin-Send" and see that "Install/Upgrade" is highlighted.
- Next to the "Firmware" field, click on the "..."button to browse for the Zip file for the Deviation firmware you are going to install and select it. The path and filename will appear in the "Firmware" field. You will also see that the fields for Firmware and Library Version and Size now contain information. Also, a number of item boxes have been checked in the program window to set up the installation. You're good to go!
- Click on the "Install/Upgrade" button at the bottom of the program window and wait while the installation takes place. You'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window and then a dialog box will notify you when the installation is complete. Be patient.
- Job done. Unplug the USB cable and turn off the transmitter. When you turn it on again, you'll be greeted with the deviation splash screen and your adventure can begin.

Note: you may use this procedure to upgrade, reinstall or initially install Walkera's Devention firmware or deviation versions 4.01 and later.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 21:01 by Arnold.

More
18 Nov 2016 20:38 #56016 by FDR
Actually we don't have a "Link" menu anymore, but you can find the original firmwares in the download section:
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...tter-stock-firmwares

More
18 Nov 2016 20:59 #56017 by Arnold
Glad you caught my error, FDR.

I fixed my post.

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
19 Nov 2016 18:31 #56057 by mellowvision
Replied by mellowvision on topic Trying to upgrade devo via mac, not happening
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the reply. I do think instructions like this should be included or linked to from the manuals.

Just a couple notes that might help make your directions more clear:

- run the jar file "using Jar Launcher" would be more specific. Double clicking the jar file decompressed it like double clicking a zip file does in OSX. You have to specifically right click and select open with Jar Launcher for it to act as expected. I'm guessing I have installed Jar Launcher in the past, or that it is part of a Java install, but I don't recall.

- it might have been my machine, but the progress bar was not progressing of visually apparent while the update took place so it felt like a "is this working or not?" moment. I was waiting thinking an error had occurred when I finally got the update complete dialog.

- for people who are updating from an older version of Deviation, as opposed to coming from devention, it might make sense to mention that updating the file system is optional/done separately. I know this detail is briefly discussed in the manual but for clarity sake it would be a good thing to mention in the instructions.

thanks again for the help

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds