Bind on startup setting

More
22 Dec 2016 18:12 #57136 by rasqba
Bind on startup setting was created by rasqba
Hi, is it possible to set the Devo7e to bind on startup, using the DSM2 protocol? I have a model with a receiver that needs to be bound every time I power it up, and was looking for an option to do this. I know it is possible with other protocols, but couldn't find an option to do this in DSM2 protocol. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2016 02:45 #57143 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Bind on startup setting
You should just have to delete the fixed ID but I've never had an auto-binding DSM receiver with devo before.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
23 Dec 2016 10:37 #57149 by rasqba
Replied by rasqba on topic Bind on startup setting
Already tried using no fixed ID, but didn't help

More
23 Dec 2016 14:40 #57154 by Cereal_Killer
Hm, what happens if you set a hard TXID?

More
23 Dec 2016 15:03 #57155 by rasqba
Same, have to bind every time I power the receiver. In fact, it goes into binding mode as soon as I power it up.
Its this one: www.banggood.com/2_4G-8CH-0_5g-DSM2-DSMX...62.html?rmmds=search

Thats why would be awesome if I could set the devo to bind on startup, like with toy protocols, but I can't find an option to do it with DSM2

More
23 Dec 2016 16:21 - 23 Dec 2016 16:23 #57159 by Cereal_Killer
Just checking since TXID is a relatively new thing... You choose an 8 character hexadecimal string and added it to your hardware.INI file?

This is my hardware file from my U7 so you can see where you add the line. Dont know if this will help you but having a fixed TXID seems to take care of all sorts of binding issues people see.

;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x4, 3x3, 3x2, 3x1, 2x8, 2x7, 2x6, 2x5, 2x4, 2x3, 2x2, 2x1, potx2, potx1
;May occur more than once if necessary.
;Add nostock if stock FMOD and HOLD switches have been removed.
 extra-switches = nostock
 extra-switches = 3x4
; extra-switches = 
 extra-switches = potx2
;
;button_types: trim-all, trim-(left|right)-(up|down|both)
;May occur more than once if necessary.
;extra-buttons=
;
txid = BFC109A3
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
   has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
 enable-a7105    = A13
; has_pa-a7105    = 1
 enable-cc2500   = A14
 has_pa-cc2500   = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13

Last edit: 23 Dec 2016 16:23 by Cereal_Killer.

More
23 Dec 2016 16:43 #57161 by rasqba

Cereal_Killer wrote: Just checking since TXID is a relatively new thing... You choose an 8 character hexadecimal string and added it to your hardware.INI file?

This is my hardware file from my U7 so you can see where you add the line. Dont know if this will help you but having a fixed TXID seems to take care of all sorts of binding issues people see.

Actually I didn't know about this, I thought you meant the Fixed ID in model menu. Is this feature present in the 5.0.0 stable? If it is, it didn't help, I tried it just now. But I don't think anything might help since the receiver is going into binding mode as soon as it is powered up. Thanks for an idea though :)

More
23 Dec 2016 16:43 #57162 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Bind on startup setting
It doesn't help. TXID already has fixed unique value, but hardware.ini allow to use custom TXID.

More
23 Dec 2016 16:55 #57163 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Bind on startup setting
Do you power on TX first? Many small factor DSM receivers go to bind mode (over about 5 sec) if TX powered off.

More
23 Dec 2016 17:27 #57164 by rasqba
Yup I power the TX first. And the receiver goes into binding mode straight away.

More
23 Dec 2016 18:05 #57165 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Bind on startup setting
What model and receiver is it? There's no instructions provided on the receiver to save the bind? Binding is a separate step in DSM because it's expected the receiver will save the bind information. The protocols that "bind on startup" don't really support binding as in a hobby protocol. That's why the button says re-init for those protocols.

If a txid value is set in hardware.ini then that value is used instead of the MCU serial number to generate bind information. It's used to allow more than one transmitter to control the same aircraft without re-binding. It has no effect on whether a receiver will bind or not.

More
23 Dec 2016 18:18 #57166 by rasqba
Hi hexfet, it's just a custom micro quadcopter, with this receiver:
www.banggood.com/2_4G-8CH-0_5g-DSM2-DSMX...62.html?rmmds=search

As soon as I power it up, the receiver goes into binding mode indicated by fast blinking. I don't see a possibility to save a bind

More
23 Dec 2016 18:55 #57168 by hexfet
Don't see any documentation available. The only review contains "... whilst binding, which is made easy by the push button ...", but I don't see any push-button in the pictures of the receiver. No push-button? The reviewer may have just typed something to get some points?

What is the "DSM" output format? Does that mean it connects as a satellite? Is that the version you have? If yes to the last two, have you tried the satellite binding procedure for your flight controller?

Recommend you post a question on the banggood page, or contact them in online chat.

More
23 Dec 2016 19:08 - 23 Dec 2016 19:16 #57170 by rasqba
Yes to the last two, and actually a really nice idea, I will try the sattelite binding procedure now.
And about the review, I think maybe the reviewer meant the bind button on his transmitter? The receiver certainly doesn't have any push-button :dry:

So if I understand correctly, there is no option to set the devo to bind on startup using DSM2 protocol?

Edit: just tried to bind it like a sattelite, no difference. Still enters binding mode after powering up immediately ;/

Edit2: Now I see someone posted the same problem in the banggood questions, so at least I know my receiver isn't faulty
Last edit: 23 Dec 2016 19:16 by rasqba.

More
23 Dec 2016 23:40 #57180 by hexfet
The Devo and Flysky protocols do "bind on startup" if the fixed id is set to None. It might be possible to change the DSM protocols to have that behavior.

Can you check if you can bind to the receiver when the fixed id is set to None? What tx do you have? The code is slightly different for 7e.

More
24 Dec 2016 00:03 #57181 by rasqba

hexfet wrote: The Devo and Flysky protocols do "bind on startup" if the fixed id is set to None. It might be possible to change the DSM protocols to have that behavior.

Can you check if you can bind to the receiver when the fixed id is set to None? What tx do you have? The code is slightly different for 7e.

Yup I can bind no problem with Fixed ID set to "None". I have a Devo 7e actually. Thanks!

More
24 Dec 2016 17:36 #57210 by hexfet
I've added dsm_autobind to the test build section. If the fixed id is set to none, the protocol will enter bind mode at startup. Please give it a try.

This build is based on the current nightly build code.

More
27 Dec 2016 21:07 #57269 by rasqba
Works like a charm, Thanks hexfet!

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds