Beginner at deviationtx - which devo tx to buy

• stevecox
  • stevecox's Avatar Topic Author
  • Keep swinging
More
23 Dec 2012 18:59 - 23 Dec 2012 19:02 #4229 by stevecox
Hi all, brief background, I currently run er9x on a 9x, and then er9x with telemetry on a ersky9x motherboard modded 9x. I have been holding out for the 9xr which seems pointless as its much of a muchness to the 9x. Along comes Deviationtx ... which Devo tx to buy, currently I would say a toss up between the 10 and 8S. I have no real interest in the touch or color screen, I would be more keen on getting the extra models out of the Devo10. Most of all I am dead keen and sold on getting the different rf protocols out of one tx so I don't have to lug a bunch of tx's to the field each time.
With the above in mind I am currently thinking the Devo 10 as it will do everything I want + the extra models at a lower cost - or does the 8S have some benefits I am missing? I fly planes, wings and just getting into CP helicopters - currently learning on the HiSky FBL100 - off my 9x with the HT8 module :-) with a 450 kit on the way I would like to use this on.
Lastly - what other brands of rx's are compatible with the default Devo rf out?

Adelaide
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 19:02 by stevecox. Reason: spelling mistake

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2012 19:22 - 23 Dec 2012 19:23 #4231 by sbstnp
Gimbals on 8S and 10 are identical and ou get 2 extra proportional channels with the 10.

Design wise, 8S looks better, balances on a strap without the need for an adapter and is a tad less heavy (though 10 with a lipo is not heavy imo).

Both can be modded for FlySky compatibility, I'd say 10 is easier to mod. Check out my thread here for pics and how to and see the docs for 8S.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 19:23 by sbstnp.

More
23 Dec 2012 19:37 #4234 by magic_marty
Replied by magic_marty on topic Beginner at deviationtx - which devo tx to buy
if you are going to use deviation then there is no worries about getting extra models out of the 10...both hold hundreds of model files..personally i like the 8s due to it being lighter and the touch screen really helps setting up models cause its easy to navigate without having to use the buttons...plus the bar graphs are much cleaner and smoother due to the high pixels on the screen..

• stevecox
  • Keep swinging
More
23 Dec 2012 19:44 #4235 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Beginner at deviationtx - which devo tx to buy
Sweet, it's gonna be the 10 I think, as you have seen inside, I will probably similarly do the GFSK hack as well with the internals from an old 9x module. Then is there still a wee bit of space to also squeeze in a frysky diy pcb(non telemetry)? if so I will probably put in a 3 way switch off the negative, 0 - both off, 1-GFSK, 2-Frysky. With the extra module/s in does the tx consume battery noticeably faster by any chance or negligible?

Adelaide

More
23 Dec 2012 19:59 - 23 Dec 2012 20:03 #4237 by sbstnp

stevecox wrote: Sweet, it's gonna be the 10 I think, as you have seen inside, I will probably similarly do the GFSK hack as well with the internals from an old 9x module. Then is there still a wee bit of space to also squeeze in a frysky diy pcb(non telemetry)? if so I will probably put in a 3 way switch off the negative, 0 - both off, 1-GFSK, 2-Frysky. With the extra module/s in does the tx consume battery noticeably faster by any chance or negligible?

Plenty of space inside. AFAIK the extra modules are turned on/off depending on the current active protocol, since they are SPI based. I didn't notice any decrease in battery life since I installed mine, but I use a 2500mah lipo. I'm not the heaviest flier out there though.

Dunno about GFSK/FrSky, currently Deviation outputs PPM on the trainer port only, and protocol modules must be SPI commanded, so they need to be implemented in software. Might be wrong though, best to ask PhracturedBlue.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 20:03 by sbstnp.

More
23 Dec 2012 23:38 - 23 Dec 2012 23:42 #4240 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Beginner at deviationtx - which devo tx to buy
Just wanted to point out that the 8 in 8s no longer applies. The 8s will do up to 12 channels (with deViation). It's the same TX chip as the devo12.

At first when I started using the 8s after my ersky9x I was thinking that I was missing something by not having the knobs for input. Then I realized the 8s has two extra digital trims that can be assigned to whatever I want. I like the trims better than the pots.

Not to mention, the wow factor at the field when I have a nice color icon of the ncpx on screen while I fly it. It got noticed by a couple of the guys at indoor night when I was using the stylus on the touch screen... :)

I've built a quick and dirty ppm/power output using a servo extension cable. It's hidden inside the battery tray. I can power the Anylink module and my Frsky module, but they are external at the moment and the Frsky DHT is not pretty.. :O

I'll be attempting to clean it up and hope to put it inside at some point, but for now I'm ok with not opening the 8s. Want to use it for awhile before I fry it.. :)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 23:42 by Hexperience.

• stevecox
  • Keep swinging
More
24 Dec 2012 04:11 #4241 by stevecox
Magic_marty you mention both hold hundreds of model files, is this on the device itself or on a pc and load what you need as/when? How many roughly does the 8s vs 10 hold - off the stock tx it looked like 12 and 30, with deviation software how does that change, looks like I am in 2 minds again - gonna be best for me to flip a coin on this one lol! oh and lastly, when I do order I just get the standard UP 02 for the rx updates, and the UB-001 for the tx which I can use to install the deviation software - is there anything else?

Adelaide

More
24 Dec 2012 04:29 #4243 by magic_marty
from the user manual it states just over 250 model files can be stored inside the tx...so there is no worries of ever running out of space for your models...i have mine currently set with 50 model files...but only am using 6 at the moment...

More
24 Dec 2012 04:31 #4244 by magic_marty
not sure about the devo10 but the devo 8/8s has a usb port so you don't need any adapter to install/upgrade the firmware..just the dfuse tool that is downloadable from walkeras site...

More
24 Dec 2012 06:07 - 24 Dec 2012 06:17 #4245 by sbstnp
Correct, no need for a UP01. All transmitters supported by Deviation have a USB port which makes updating firmware and model backup/restore very easy.

As number of models is concerned, my Devo 10 shows 2.5MB of space.

One model file takes 4KB (~800bytes real, 1 block of 4KB allocated).
2.5MB/4k = 640 model files. I thin your must be pretty hardcore to own 640 models lol :silly:

Since both 8S and 10 have the same hardware more or less, I assume this is the case with the 8 too. Dunno about the 6.

I think bottom line is what looks better for you? I think the 8S, but as I already have the 10, I don't intend to switch, as I don't want to go through the hassles of selling my 10, and I can't justify owning both (my son is not even 3 yet ;) and he's not able to fly).

EDIT:

One more thing regarding the ease of use. If you are a techy setting models up is as easy on both. I can do it blindfolded and with one arm tied on the back on my Devo10. But I hear for some people setting models up is a difficult thing even after years of flying models. I guess each person is different.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 06:17 by sbstnp.

• stevecox
  • Keep swinging
More
24 Dec 2012 20:24 #4252 by stevecox
Okay this is turning out to very informative, I would like to thank everyone for the info, seems I am going for the 8S now :-)
I am just getting into bigger, well 450 size, moving up from 100 size CP helicopters. I have a kit on the way with some separate gyro's to play with. I see some Walkera rx's are all in one with gyro inside. This seems to be advantageous I would suspect, off the cuff which Walkera rx+gyro should I aim at for all in one for the heli, and then for normal plane say 6 servo's tops which would be a good run of the mill Walkera rx to stock up on. Or better still without starting a war, whats the most common rx (for planes-parkfly size) that you guys are using? I have some OrangeRX R610 around and heaps of HK-T6A-V2 which I will mod the tx for, any others worth mentioning to aim for in future is what I am getting at. A rx with ppm out would be good.

Adelaide

More
24 Dec 2012 20:48 - 24 Dec 2012 20:50 #4253 by sbstnp
Don't go for the all-in-one Walkera RX. They lets say have 'quirks' which could end up in a crash. Plenty on info on rcgroups, www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1473111

Separate RXes are OK, I have one RX802 and I haven't had any trouble with it. I also have a micro R415 orange rx, which works ok too, in a micro plane I never flew. But it binds and start motor and moves servos. That should be something.

That's my only 2. I move them around when I fancy flying another bird lol. Not that I have too many. Got my first plank on the way, a Spirit Glider, 815mm, my son likes it very much and made me order it. Will use the RX802, maybe I'll get a Devo telemetry module too.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 24 Dec 2012 20:50 by sbstnp.

More
25 Dec 2012 01:29 #4258 by Hexperience
I havent read that thread but i have a few of the walkera all in ones. i havent tried them all yet but the v450d03 is very stable. i am just starting to learn flips and inverted....

But with custom firmware your options are wide open....

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
26 Dec 2012 09:25 #4273 by rbe2012
I agree with sbstnp and Hexperience. The Walkera All-in-Ones are ok, I never had serious trouble with them. But they are specially designed to special models (esp. the FBL ones) so it is not easy to use them universally (some knowledge of the mechanics seems to be implemented in the firmware).
The non-model-specific without inbuilt gyro or other kinds of electronic stabilisation are good. I use four RX801 in 250 and 450 helis.

• stevecox
  • Keep swinging
More
11 Jan 2013 12:48 #4926 by stevecox
Got my 8S yesterday, got it flashed, bind to RX802 and bind to OrangeRX R610 no issues - very happy - kudos to all that have made this all work :-)

My question is - I have done some googling but haven't found anything definitive, are there any receivers compatible with a standard Devo8s with deventiontx that have CPPM out without doing a hardware mod on the tx? Looks like the OrangeRX R710 has S.Bus out but that is different isn't it?

Adelaide

More
11 Jan 2013 15:06 #4928 by Hexperience
I don't think there are any at this point. BUT if you are trying to simplify a heli build, a lot of the FBL controllers support using DSM satellites.

What are you looking to use? I've not seen too many devices that actually use CPPM as input.

• stevecox
  • Keep swinging
More
11 Jan 2013 19:38 #4931 by stevecox
Currently off a 9x modded FrSKY I am doing as per pics, this works extremely well. I can fly my FBL100 3D copter with the HT8, I can fly the V911, V929, V939, X9958 off the turnigy module and some small parkfliers in close proximity, placement of the setup is careful in these two cases for good reception to the models being flown, and lastly the wireless sim works extremely well this way as well. This way nothing extra is physically plugged in the tx ppm out as I am using the rx's one :-) I was hoping to move the setup over to the Devo8s but I am sure not too far away the FrSKY module support will be added to the Devo's, till then I will wait patiently, unless I find a compatible rx sooner :-) This method can be hacked for many different tx modules & similar uses as you can see. I doubt for everyone but works great for me.

Adelaide
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds