Fine tuning?

More
29 Jan 2013 20:02 #5743 by Scream
Fine tuning? was created by Scream
Hello!

I'm struggling to get the hold of programmable TX's and CP's at the same time, so please forgive the silly questions and long winded explainations...

I've been trying to emulate the "scale" flying style with a Blade nano and a Walkera miniCP. After some trial and error I ended up with a pitch curve that I can slowly take off with and hover an entire batteries worth on either beast!! :cheer:

So far, I cant really move either of them around as they are a tad fast for my limited skills, but I can maintain tail in pretty well. No crashes to speak of and starting to gain confidence!

What is better for limiting how much she will respond? Messing with the min/max for the specific channel and then applying a low(er) rate with expo?

I was having servo binding issues on the miniCP until I Reduced the min/max from the +150/-150 setting the ini was using to +90/-90 but when I try different configs out, I'm having a hard time "feeling" any difference with the rate & expo variants and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,
Cheers!
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2013 20:44 - 29 Jan 2013 20:50 #5746 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Fine tuning?
Hi Scream.

Min Max is used to set the min and max that a servo (channel) can move. It's to stop binding and that's about it. You want full movement with no binding.

Rates set how much the servo moves when you FULLY move the stick in a direction. For example, with %50 rate applied to the channel fully moving the stick will only move the servo half way. This has the effect of deadening the entire range of movement of the stick.

Exponential sets how much the stick is sensitive near center. It's an exponential curve of course so when to start to get to the end of the curve you get to 100% really fast... not good for beginning if you ask me because if you panic a little and move the stick even a little too far, you are suddenly hitting 100% in one direction which is even more unexpected.

Skip to 8 minute mark to see an excellent display of rate and expo.

Also, if you haven't seen it already my how to post might help with the tx programming.

www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1226-ho...s-on-custom-firmware

For starting off my way of doing it is to reduce the rate by a lot and not use any expo. Then slowly increase the rate as you get more comfortable, and start to add in a little expo as you set the rates higher so that it's not too twitchy.

I normally set my dual rates to 50% and 65% on a new heli or plane. Start at 50% and if you feel you have too little control kick it up to 65% and be prepared to land. You might find that 65% is too much or still too little control, so you can land and change the rates as you need to.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 20:50 by Hexperience.

More
29 Jan 2013 21:19 #5747 by Scream
Replied by Scream on topic Fine tuning?
Hi!

Thank you Hexperience!!The visuals in the video made it a lot clearer!

I did read the post regarding the FBL setups several, it helped me get this far and I also used it to help convert my blade setup to the CP :)

I have come to the same conclusion regarding expo... its just making things more confusing for me and seems to add a delay which then requires an additional compensation! Expo makes a FBL feel like a FB IMHO. I opened the TX and tightened up the sticks a bit so that my dumb-thumbs can feel the precision of the movements better! I hope to learn better "thumb habbits" this way at the expense of initial frustration.

I am able to fly my msr around at full rates in the same sized space as I am attempting to learn CP but its a bit more frustrating that I imagined, yet its so much more fun just to watch it hover!!! :)

Before helicopters I thought I was a "bright" guy, lol... how much there is to learn is really humbling! :)

Thanks again for your advice!
cheers,
-=S=-

Cheers!
-=S=-

More
29 Jan 2013 21:31 #5748 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Fine tuning?
LOL, yeah, there's lots to learn with them thats for sure.

BUT, having an RC heli is just about the best "toy" I've ever seen. I'm still just learning to fly, I can do circuits and basic quick flips with a little inverted.

My biggest heli is a copterX 500. All I need to do is hover it and listen to the sound of the blades smacking the air... worth every bit of aggravation...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Time to create page: 0.028 seconds