Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?

More
10 Feb 2013 21:14 #6221 by wussie
Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get? was created by wussie
I'm on the fence between the two radios. On the one hand the 7e is only about 10 dollars more than the OrangeRX six channel spektrum radio. On the other, the 8s has an easier to use interface with the touch screen. But it costs over 200 dollars and I'm not a fan of resistive touch screens. Can anyone give me their personal experiences with the two and which they would recommend for a newbie who isn't sure how far they want to go in the hobby? I currently own 2 eflight blade helicopters and a walkera ladybird. I only have the cheap 4 channel radios the rtf versions came with and really want a programmable radio, especially with the ladybird which has proven a handful with just dual rates in my basement just trying to hover.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2013 21:38 - 10 Feb 2013 21:40 #6222 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?
The 7e equipped with Deviation is probably fine for all 4 channel helis. For 6chhelis, the lack of quick switches may be a limitation for some. We will probably try to address that in the deviation firmware, but the other Devo radios are a lot more capable. Also the 7e has a significantly shorter range. I would not recommend it for anything but minis.
I personally think the Devo10 is the best bang for your buck. It is cheaper than than the Devo8 and has plenty of controls. The screen is easily visible in all environments (the Devo8 screen does not have the best contrast and cna be hard to read in direct sunlight). That said, I still primarily use my Devo8 for all development and testing. That may change as I now have the 12 as well, but I prefer programming the Tx with a touch screen.

But honestly, unlike me, you will likely spend a lot more time flying than playing with the Tx, and you really don't look at the screen much wen flying.

You will not be unhappy with either an 8 or a 10. If you aren't sure about how much you want to invest in the hobby, and aren't going to fly anything other than micors, the 7e will do fine for you.

I need to put this in the FAQ or something considering how often it gets asked
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 21:40 by PhracturedBlue.

More
10 Feb 2013 22:14 #6225 by wussie
Replied by wussie on topic Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?
What if I end up getting into a smaller cp heli like a 300 or 450? How will I fare with the 7e? From what I've read the transmitter is capable of controlling pitch, also it has throttle hold switch and fmode switch which I assume can be programmed for throttle up mode.

More
10 Feb 2013 22:24 #6226 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?
I've now written said article here:
www.deviationtx.com/articles/21-which-devo-tx-should-i-buy

You can certainly fly 6ch helis without issue using a Devo7e. But if you use the 2-position switches for idle-up and throttle hold, you have no access to dual-rates, or gyro adjustments/heading hold. That may or not be an issue for you. We will likely modify the interface to make some of these more easily accessible. I don't know about a 300, but I don't think I'd want to fly a 450 without modifying the 7e range. If you want me to convince you to buy a 7e, I'm not going to do that. I personally think it is fine for what it is, but the bigger Tx are a better value in my opinion.

Note that I spend almost all my time programming, and very little flying. You should definitely take my opinion with a grain of salt.

More
10 Feb 2013 23:43 #6234 by wussie
in regards to what you do for the community and with your transmitter I am definitely going to listen to your opinion. I didn't realize how short the range was on the 7e, if it's too short to really open up a 450 class helicopter (which is where I eventually want to get, nothing bigger though) Then it's really only useful as a band aid till I get something bigger. Sounds ultimately like a waste of 78 dollars if I'm just going to end up replacing it with something more powerful down the line. I was also liking the knob on the 8s to be able to adjust gyro gains. Thank you very much for your time writing the article, I'm going to take the time to read it. I may not need a nice big touch screen to program my radio (I'll likely only look at it when I'm binding a model once everything is programmed in) but more range will be important to me once I get into something bigger a year or so down the line, and I'll really hate to have to buy a new radio then when I could have gotten it now and saved time and money.

More
11 Feb 2013 00:12 #6237 by gmcquet
Replied by gmcquet on topic Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?
If you dont care about touch screens then a devo 10 is the best all round I think.

10 channels, proper big tx with full range.

I have a 12s, it is more blingy but the touchscreen isnt like a smart phone touch screen. It actually works better with your nail as opposed to your thumb/finger. Not a great thing in my opinion.

In terms of using them, the 10 is just as good as the 12. The 8 is just a smaller 12, Id go with the 10 if I was you...

G

More
11 Feb 2013 00:14 #6238 by gmcquet
Replied by gmcquet on topic Devo 7e vs 8s, which one to get?
Didnt make it clear, but I have both.

I was going to buy a 2nd 10 so I could use two for trainer purposes, but I was attracted to the 12s by its bling factor. In all honesty though, other than looks and the screen, both function exactly the same. 10 was 1/3 of the price :)

G

More
11 Feb 2013 01:11 #6241 by wussie

gmcquet wrote: It actually works better with your nail as opposed to your thumb/finger.

G

This is because it's a resistive touch screen opposed to the current cell phone technology which is capacitive I hate resistive.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds