Feature request: Instant trim ?

More
16 Feb 2013 13:08 - 16 Feb 2013 13:08 #6432 by BitOne
Feature request: Instant trim ? was created by BitOne
Hi guys,

I'm using Deviation with my Devo8S (in fact, I bought it because of DeviationTX to replace my Spektrum DX5e and control my DSM2 planes), and I love it. Thanks for this great work !

I had a look at er9x and Open9x, and they provide a very cool feature called "Instant trim".

Instant Trim to trim your model instantly from the stick positions.
Note: Trims are not transferred for Thr stick.

The use case is very classical for a plane: first flight(s) always need to do have trimming on most axis. With this feature, you just keep the flight on a straight line by correcting on the sticks, toggle the switch and the trims on Ail, Rud and Ele are setup automatically.
You just need to release the stick to their neutral and your plane is trimmed and flight straight ! B)
So very useful.

Do you think it could be a new feature or is it possible to program this function with some complex mixer mojo ?
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 13:08 by BitOne.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2013 15:21 #6437 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
This looks like a great feature and it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
16 Feb 2013 16:35 - 16 Feb 2013 16:48 #6439 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
I think this is just a new switch type, which read ELE, RUD and AIL channels values when toggle from Off to On and write it to the ELE, RUD and AIL trims when toggle from On to Off.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 16:48 by domcars0.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
16 Feb 2013 17:06 #6440 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
Should it be implemented as a special mode with a switch only temporarily associated to it? The switch (or maybe a button?) could have its normal function after trimming.

More
16 Feb 2013 19:34 - 16 Feb 2013 19:36 #6454 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
I believe domcars has the right of it. you don't wantto use a button press because that would immediately apply the trims (which would cause disurption in flight. you want to save them during flight, and then apply them after landing

The only trick is that a trim is applied to a pecified mixer rather than to the final output. This could make it somewhat complicated to calculate how to take a given output value and convert it into a trim value.

And my guess is you would want it to be temporary since you shouldn't need it every time you fly. Though if you have more switches than you need, it could be just left there.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 19:36 by PhracturedBlue.

More
16 Feb 2013 20:24 - 16 Feb 2013 20:25 #6458 by domcars0
Hi,
I think that we have just to read all INPUTS that are assigned to TRIMs (Menu Model => Trims) ... and then apply the INPUTS values to
the corresponding trims ... Is it false?

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 20:25 by domcars0.

More
16 Feb 2013 20:41 #6459 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?

domcars0 wrote: Hi,
I think that we have just to read all INPUTS that are assigned to TRIMs (Menu Model => Trims) ... and then apply the INPUTS values to
the corresponding trims ... Is it false?

I think domcars is correct, you want to transfer the value of the Sticks at that moment to the Trims.

As for disruption in flight - for a plane that is not to serious as one would press the button once in stable flight and it would be simple to release the sticks to neutral the moment you press the button.

I am stil trying to think how it can be used to set the SUB-TRIMs on FBL heli's in flight where you have drift due to a swashplate that is not 100% level? :huh:

More
16 Feb 2013 20:48 - 16 Feb 2013 20:49 #6460 by domcars0
Take care RandMental , this is not to set SUB-TRIMS but TRIMS!
Anyway this is not userfull for helis (this feature must probably be disable for heli models) but as said by BitOne for planes.

I think that a good start can be a call to TRIM_Instant() in the main.c EventLoop() function :cheer:

Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 20:49 by domcars0.

More
16 Feb 2013 21:12 #6465 by RandMental
Understood! I know we are talking about TRIMS, not SUB-TRIMS, which I agree for Heli's should be disabled.

My comment about SUB-TRIMS was because after getting a new Heli in the air or after repairs, I normally land a few times to change a SUB_TRIM value a few clicks up or down to get the swashplate "level" and remove a bit of drift (450 size and larger heli's)

More
16 Feb 2013 21:33 - 16 Feb 2013 21:33 #6468 by domcars0
I never use SUB-TRIMS to level the swashplate, I use ball links.
I think that SUB-TRIMS are made to precisely adjust the servo arm on neutral.
Sorry for my frenglish but when I said that the feature has to be disable for helis, I did'nt spoke about TRIMS or SUBTRIMS but about the InstantTRIM.

Last edit: 16 Feb 2013 21:33 by domcars0.

More
17 Feb 2013 01:22 #6476 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
I use this feature all the time in er9x. I assign it to the trainer switch (as most er9x users do).

And yes, it DOES apply instantly, not after landing. It works great. You hold your sticks so the plane is level, pop the trainer switch and then a moment later let go of the sticks. It takes a little timing but great function.

After you land, you can see what the trims are at, and either just leave them or make the proper changes in your links.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
17 Feb 2013 12:57 - 17 Feb 2013 12:59 #6479 by RandMental

domcars0 wrote: I never use SUB-TRIMS to level the swashplate, I use ball links.
I think that SUB-TRIMS are made to precisely adjust the servo arm on neutral.
Sorry for my frenglish but when I said that the feature has to be disable for helis, I did'nt spoke about TRIMS or SUBTRIMS but about the InstantTRIM.

No need to apologise, I am sure we all understood what you meant.
I do find many times that a full turn on a ball link is to much, and then subtrim is an easy way to get it adjusted. Especially in the field it helps as you don`t have to fiddle with the mechanics of the heli.

Apologies for going way off topic here.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2013 12:59 by RandMental.

More
17 Feb 2013 19:48 #6486 by BitOne
Replied by BitOne on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?
Hi guys,

Thank you very much for all this valuable feedback.

I really like the operating described by domcars0:

I think this is just a new switch type, which read ELE, RUD and AIL channels values when toggle from Off to On and write it to the ELE, RUD and AIL trims when toggle from On to Off.

Doing this you'll have the choice to apply the trim values while flying or after landing if you prefer.

And if you apply it to a momentary switch, it could work like on ER9X with the trainer switch on the 9X (I do not know if a Devo model has a momentary switch, but I saw a hack to add one on Devo8S).

Now, some remarks on this feature:

Sound Feedback:
Could be interesting to get sound feedback when the stored value is applied to the trim (switch go back to 0 position). It makes sense to me as (if I understand correctly) the future version of Deviation will feature sound feedback on the trim to know if the trim has been applied or not (case where you are already at the limit)
The sound could be two short beeps for example.

Behavior when trims are already applied
Two possibilities:
- only the sticks position is applied without the already applied trim values. It has for effect to forget the already applied value. Not so good as the final trim will not match the trimmed flight if trims were not null.
- the stick values are added to the actual trim values. Much better, as the Instant trim feature work as expected from the user point of view.

Behavior when the stick values are out of the limit of the trims
This case can easily happen when the trim steps are pretty low and the sticks go out of the limits easily. Or it can happen as well when the stick values are plain far from the neutral position.
Two main possibilities (maybe more...):
- trim steps are changed if needed to allow the trim value to match stick positions
- if the value is over the limit, the trim is set to its limit
I would prefer the second solution, as the first one can be very dangerous if using in flight. Moreover, instant trim is about automating trimming. Therefore it should not have a bigger impact area than trim themselves where they are manually set.

But it could be nice to have a way to warn the pilot that the trims have not been fully applied because of over limit value. For example, the same sound than the one produced when manually reaching trim limit could be self-explanatory.

What you guys do you think ?

More
18 Feb 2013 23:00 - 18 Feb 2013 23:00 #6539 by domcars0
  • On which setup page do you think we can ask the user which switch to use as the instant Trim?
  • If a switch is use as the instant Trim it can't be use for anything else.
    If a switch is already assigned for something (mixer for example), we can't propose it for instant trim switch.
  • Instant trim is only available for plane models (not for heli).
  • For sure new values of trims are : trim old value + stick value (anything else is crazy)

Last edit: 18 Feb 2013 23:00 by domcars0.

More
19 Feb 2013 10:31 - 19 Feb 2013 10:31 #6568 by BitOne
Replied by BitOne on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?

domcars0 wrote:

• On which setup page do you think we can ask the user which switch to use as the instant Trim?

I think on the trim page, it makes more sense (it's a trim feature).

domcars0 wrote:

• If a switch is use as the instant Trim it can't be use for anything else.
    If a switch is already assigned for something (mixer for example), we can't propose it for instant trim switch.

I agree.

domcars0 wrote:

No real opinion on that, do not know enough about helis.

domcars0 wrote:

• For sure new values of trims are : trim old value + stick value (anything else is crazy)

You're right !
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 10:31 by BitOne.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
19 Feb 2013 11:28 #6573 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Feature request: Instant trim ?

BitOne wrote:

domcars0 wrote:

No real opinion on that, do not know enough about helis.

I try not to use trims with my helis whenever it works. But sometimes I wish I had not to fumble at these little trims (and leave the sticks alone). I think I would use such a feature for my heli for proper setting it up. I would correct the trims effect by correcting the mechanics, of course... And (as RandMental wrote) on the field trims are easier to use than to screw at the mechanics and I would appreciate a fast way to apply them.
But I see that a plane has greater advantage of such a feature.
In another thread we discussed individual trims for different flight modes. Maybe this feature would be a first step in this direction to get a feeling if these flight modes are wanted.

More
19 Feb 2013 12:18 - 19 Feb 2013 14:54 #6576 by RandMental
Just a reminder again, for heli's we need to talk about SUB-TRIM (for FBL heli's), NOT the normal trims discussed here for planes.

For heli's I would love a way to translate stick position that results in a stable hover and no drift, into the correct subtrim values as we now discuss for planes. However, I have no idea how to make the back translation, as it will also counter gyro drift (which change over time) in addition to mechanical setup and balance factors.

I'll move this to another thread, it is off topic here.
Last edit: 19 Feb 2013 14:54 by RandMental.

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds