A Couple Qusetions About Working With Model Files

More
17 Feb 2013 23:22 #6492 by gapi
  • I use NotePad++ but how do I save files so that those who do not can view them in notepad as the line wrapped or stacked list like I see around here instead of in paragraph form?
  • And I see in Tom Z's videos he is using a windows program tweaking models via the mouse.
Is that program available? I have a Devo 10.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
18 Feb 2013 07:43 #6506 by rbe2012
I do not really understand your first question. Line wrapping is in general a problem between Windows (cr+lf), MAC(cr) and Linux(lf). The files have to be Linux-style although their content looks line a standard windows ini-file. It might be confusing but we have to live with it. So when you write them windows-conform I am not sure if they still work (but I see a good chance so give it a try).
I use "Programmer's Notepad" where you can select the method to write line endings (crlf, cr, lf) so you could write it in a manner which is readable with standard windows tools. You can also open it with wordpad (installed with windows) which will show it correctly.

The second: I don't remember this video actually but you can use the emulator to tweak models. When you use the emulator for Devo8 you will have the touch screen the Devo8 has and can use the mouse.

More
18 Feb 2013 19:44 #6523 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic A Couple Qusetions About Working With Model Files
Files can be written to the Tx in either Windows or Linux syntax (didn't try Mac). However, the Tx only writes linux syntax, so to edit a model file from the tx, you need to use an editor that supports it.

More
19 Feb 2013 04:04 #6550 by gapi
Thanks, Still foggy so I'll ask.

I have a Devo 10 and run between the nightlies and the 2.1.1.

I see this EMU file and open it and looks like fun but cannot figure out how to apply it.
Is it only compatible with the nightlies?
I have Win 7 x64 Pro.

I guess in short, what it the porpoise of the EMU. Thanks

• rbe2012
More
19 Feb 2013 06:18 #6553 by rbe2012
The emus give everyone the possibility to look at the gui for both color and bw screen tx. It is used while developing to test new code without having to flash the tx every time.
You can use it also to test model configs. You will not have the feedback of your heli/plane (everything moving to the right direction), but the principles can be done with it (which stick will move which channel, what do I use the switches for, ...). Turning servo directions and make some trimming / travel adjustment is quickly done when the rest is prepared.
You can also use the devo8-emu to have a mouse-controlled program for editing model files. Because they are fully compatible between all supported txs you can copy them to your 10 or 7e and use them.

More
19 Feb 2013 23:26 #6599 by gapi
Nice! Thanks

More
20 Feb 2013 02:55 #6604 by gapi
Gosh, I hope I'm not too much of a pain. I need to review two of my inquires.

Is there instructions on using the EMU. I have the Devo 10 connected and in USB mode and execute the EMU and can see it and a DOS screen but cannot do anything else.

The other is about a question I asked perhaps in a way that was not too good so I will try again.

My models when opened in Notepad look like this -

name=Master CPmixermode=Standard[radio]protocol=DEVOnum_channels=8tx_power=10mW[protocol_opts]Telemetry=On[channel1]template=cyclic2[channel2]template=cyclic1[channel3]
safetyval=-110template=complex[mixer]src=THRdest=Ch3
curvetype=9point

I open others models, and the default models that are nicely stacked like this I sure would like to avoid the above.

[radio]
protocol=DEVO
num_channels=8
fixed_id=123456
tx_power=10mW

[channel1]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=ELE
dest=Ch1

[channel2]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2

[channel3]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3

[channel4]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=RUD
dest=Ch4

• rbe2012
More
20 Feb 2013 06:24 #6615 by rbe2012
If you go back a few posts you can see that there is a difference in line endings between linux and windows. This results in files which seem to contain only one line because for windows the linux-style line separators are not enough. The bare content is identical.
If you save an ini-file with linux or windows it could look different because of this. When you open a windows-saved ini-file in linux (with vi/vim) you will see additional characters before the line wraps which have no use in linux.
As PB mentioned both work in deViation. So use a tool which displays them in the long form like Notepad++ or Programmer's Notepad.
And don't worry about the different look...

More
20 Feb 2013 12:19 #6628 by Mullson

gapi wrote: Gosh, I hope I'm not too much of a pain. I need to review two of my inquires.

Is there instructions on using the EMU. I have the Devo 10 connected and in USB mode and execute the EMU and can see it and a DOS screen but cannot do anything else.

You don't need your TX connected to use the EMU. But don't forget the filesystem.
And you should read the Deviation10UserManual!

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds