Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?

More
24 Mar 2013 03:48 #8024 by wussie
I ordered my Devo 10 yesterday. This will be my first programmable radio. Any hints or tips? Helifreak member and moderator has some videos on the radio as well as how tos on installing deviation so I have someplace to start. Anything else I should read?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2013 04:05 #8025 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?
You can already start, try the emulator check the downloads.

Adelaide

More
26 Mar 2013 06:33 #8089 by wussie
Replied by wussie on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?
I've got the emulator downloaded. How do I use it? Also I downloaded a couple model files for my Ladybird and Blade 120 but I'm not finding any for my mCX2, can I use the emulator to create my own that I can transfer over once I have the radio in hand?

More
26 Mar 2013 07:37 - 26 Mar 2013 07:37 #8090 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?

wussie wrote: Anything else I should read?

Read the full documentation
www.deviationtx.com/repository/Documentation/
You will also learn how to use the emulator.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 07:37 by domcars0.

More
26 Mar 2013 07:46 #8091 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?

wussie wrote: ... can I use the emulator to create my own that I can transfer over once I have the radio in hand?

Yes you can. I will also suggest (if you are a beginner) you get familiarized with general concepts like:

1. Channels
2. Channel order depending on protocol.
3. Expo
4. D/R

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
26 Mar 2013 16:05 - 26 Mar 2013 16:21 #8115 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?
Read the Deviation documents... Also, I just downloaded the nightly and installed it... it has a "Simplified" mode that seems a bit more intuitive and it does not appear to lose any or much functionality.

Download some model configs and have them ready... maybe you could study them and adjust them in the emulator, but I don't know how that works. Also Download some Icons (for the 10) or you could read the instructions on how to make icons and have some ready when the TX shows up.

The usb tab on the back where you attach the cable is stiff... it needs to be pulled OUT away from the TX towards you about 1/4 inch... it kind of pops when it's done right. Takes a little elbow grease.

I got 2 LIFEPO4 3s batteries at about 2000mah and soldered a new connection to the radio to take them. They last a long time and charge very quickly. The voltage curve is pretty flat in the useable area and I set my low voltage TX alarm at 9.45V. Usually gives me about 1500mah back into the battery.

I really love mine and deviation... I'm on hold at the moement due to some technical issues. Enjoy.

John
Last edit: 26 Mar 2013 16:21 by JFS737.

More
27 Mar 2013 18:11 - 28 Mar 2013 06:04 #8156 by wussie
Replied by wussie on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?
I've been reading the manuals, thanks for pointing me in their direction. How is the simplified mode? Is the nightly stable enough for a daily driver? I may have to go that route. I understand DL and Expos, thanks to my grasp of mechanics, and a wonderful episode of FliteTest on youtube explaining them. That being said it looks a little daunting at first trying to program a model into deviation so a simplified mode sounds awesome. The entire reason I ordered a computerized radio was to be able to use programmable dual rates and expos.

Edit: Any chance you can link me to those batteries? I bought some NiMH for my radio, but some LiFe might be nice too. I'm sure I can pick up the correct connectors at my LHS. Thanks!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2013 06:04 by wussie.

More
31 Mar 2013 05:39 #8324 by JFS737
I don't use the simplified mixer but it looks great and easier to use. I recommend you download a model and install it to the radio and that will help you learn. I started as a 450 FB CP newbie... I had a V120D02s and setup the 450 by comparing it. It was not too hard, I did it.
Here is the battery... www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_vie....asp?idProduct=14076

Any LIFEPO4 with similar measurements and 3S would work. You may have to solder some. Good luck and have fun.

More
31 Mar 2013 06:04 #8327 by stevecox
Replied by stevecox on topic Just ordered my Devo 10, hints and tips?
Out of interest, what is the lowest safe voltage on a Devo10 whilst at it also the Devo8s. It would be convenient of I could safely run the Devo10 off a 2s and Devo8s off a 1s (LiPo).

Adelaide

More
31 Mar 2013 17:52 #8342 by JFS737
Not sure what the safe low is, good question for PB or FDR maybe? But I have had it down to 9.2 volts or so and it seemed to be working fine. I put 2250 mah back into my 2200mah battery after that though. I use 9.42 volts on the TX (This is usually about 9.6 V no load on a meter) and it's usually 80% or so. Last many hours of use.

Regards,
John

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds