Major Problem ? ! ?

More
24 Mar 2013 05:25 #8028 by JFS737
Major Problem ? ! ? was created by JFS737
Hi guys,
Just had a big issue with my Devo 10 and 2.1.0

First, a couple weeks ago I was running the engine on one of my 2 models and had shut down the motor and the RX on the plane. The radio was still on... and after about 10 minutes it beeped and seemed to "reboot" or just switch to a different model. Now the model I had loaded was just on the bench and being tested and the receiver was off but this was worrying.
Now, today I totalled my Bridi Kaos. I had been flying my Skylark, and then afterwards I got out my Kaos and loaded the Kaos into my radio. The model binded and all the controls worked fine. Then I started the motor and warmed it up for 5 minutes or more. Then took off and flew for about 3-5 minutes. At close range on the down side of a loop, I heard the transmitter beep.... the model was non responsive and plowed in. When I looked down at the transmitter, it had swapped back to the Skylark model.

So, to be clear... this thing beeped and swapped to another model on its own. This resulted in a crash. Something similar had happened earlier on the test bench. Any ideas ? I am obviously not able to fly my remaining plane (Skylark) until I figure out what the problem is.... The voltage was good at 9.75 (3s LIFE Battery that I normally run down to about 9.45V)

Love to hear any thoughts!!

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Mar 2013 06:30 #8030 by N4JC
Replied by N4JC on topic Major Problem ? ! ?
Hi John, sorry for the trouble you ran into.

I had experienced something close to your description resulting in a crash and the model changed. I was running version 2.1.0 then, but shortly after 2.1.1 was released and I upgraded to it. I don't think the change note mentioned anything related to what I had experienced, but I have had good luck so far with 2.1.1.

More
24 Mar 2013 06:47 - 24 Mar 2013 06:47 #8031 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Major Problem ? ! ?
Possible better will be try last Nightly build. Version 2.1.1 has problem with switch selection at the second page of complex mixer.

www.deviationtx.com/repository/Deviation...ases/Nightly-Builds/
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 06:47 by vlad_vy.

More
24 Mar 2013 15:29 #8045 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Major Problem ? ! ?
Hi guys and thanks,
I see that I'm not the only one then. This is good info as it might have been a bad Transmitter but that is likley not the case now. I had a Walkera RX802 installed and had flown it many, many times. My other bird (Skylark) has a RX1002 in it. Both flew that day.

In the end, I am not sure that I can use deviation until I know where the issue is in a more concrete way. I had good luck with 2.1.0 too... until I didn't. Not sure I can move to 2.1.1 and just Hope it is going to be OK and then after a few weeks find out it's not so OK still.

I am hoping someone can tell me there was an issue inn 2.1.0 for sure and that it is fixed in 2.1.1... With that I can rest easy. I know this is much to ask, but it would sure help?

Any other experiences out there that seem off?

Thanks again for you help guys.

John

More
24 Mar 2013 16:59 #8049 by JFS737
More info.
I got the battery from the KAOS and it's good, plenty of volts. The TX battery was also fine.

To recap, the crashed bird is the KAOS and the other is SKYLARK. My transmitter switched in flight from KAOS to SKYLARK and then no control and crash.

So... today I get the KAOS (Crashed) RX from the wreckage. Turn on the TX and it says SKYLARK as it did at the time of the crash. I turn on the crashed KAOS Rx and it binds to the SKYLARK model. !? I turn the KAOS rx off and turn on the Skylark RX and it binds to SKYLARK model on the TX.

I turn Skylark rx off... I change to KAOS on the TX and it binds to KAOS RX. Will it bind to SKYLARK Rx? Yes... so they both bind to both and I can control both models at the same time with either TX model loaded!?

But, this does not explain the issue... that is the TX CHANGED models while I was flying and I had no control (vs able to control both with the same model loaded on the TX while on the ground today and the TX did not CHANGE models on its own).

So... why does the TX change models and why no control if both RX will bind to any of the 2 TX Models? That I was able to bind to 2 different models at once today seems odd but it is not the same problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
John

More
24 Mar 2013 17:35 #8050 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Major Problem ? ! ?
May be you use the same fixedId on both RX (802 & 1002)?

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
24 Mar 2013 19:32 - 24 Mar 2013 19:32 #8053 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Major Problem ? ! ?

JFS737 wrote: But, this does not explain the issue... that is the TX CHANGED models while I was flying and I had no control (vs able to control both with the same model loaded on the TX while on the ground today and the TX did not CHANGE models on its own).

So... why does the TX change models and why no control if both RX will bind to any of the 2 TX Models? That I was able to bind to 2 different models at once today seems odd but it is not the same problem. Any ideas?

The v2.1.0 saves all the configs and settings on a proper powering down.
So, if you started with the first config, and after that switched to a second one, and if the tx rebooted while you were flying that second model, then it would started with the saved first model config, since it can't save the settings on an unexpected reboot.
Furthermore if there is a safety tag in the model config like this:
[safety]
Auto=min
...which is there by default, then if you turn your tx with the throttle on (which is the case if the tx reboots while flying), it will deny to send out control signals until you lower the throttle or click on the button of the warning dialog.

Now the current version saves the changes on a model switch, but the power on safety still can cause a crash on a reboot even when it could rebind, if you won't act immediately...
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 19:32 by FDR.

More
24 Mar 2013 19:49 - 24 Mar 2013 19:58 #8054 by JFS737
I checked and no fixed ID in the TX... says "None" on both models. I thought this may be a problem, still not sure if "none" is OK either. Thanks.
Last edit: 24 Mar 2013 19:58 by JFS737. Reason: Add info

More
24 Mar 2013 19:54 #8055 by FDR
Without fixed id you can bind any config to any model (at least which use the same protocol), but you have no chance to rebind after a tx reboot, I think...

More
24 Mar 2013 19:58 #8056 by JFS737
Wow, some good info here, thanks guys.
FDR appears to describe what may have happened to me and so it leaves me this question or 2. ..
1. Why did it reboot?
2. Will it do it again if I have 2.1.1
3. If I get 2.1.1 and remove the "Auto=Min" and it reboots, will that FIX the problem?

Seems like no way to know why it rebooted which worries me greatly... anyone with 2.1.1 seeing a reboot?

If it does reboot and I have that "Auto=min" in my config it will select the right model but I'd have to lower the throttle to clear it? Is this right? I didn't see a dialogue but I didn't look at the TX until 10 or 20 seconds after impact.

If I remove the "Auto=min" what will happen in 2.1.1?

Regards,

John

QUOTED FDR
The v2.1.0 saves all the configs and settings on a proper powering down.
So, if you started with the first config, and after that switched to a second one, and if the tx rebooted while you were flying that second model, then it would started with the saved first model config, since it can't save the settings on an unexpected reboot.
Furthermore if there is a safety tag in the model config like this:

[safety]
Auto=min

...which is there by default, then if you turn your tx with the throttle on (which is the case if the tx reboots while flying), it will deny to send out control signals until you lower the throttle or click on the button of the warning dialog.

Now the current version saves the changes on a model switch, but the power on safety still can cause a crash on a reboot even when it could rebind, if you won't act immediately...

More
25 Mar 2013 05:24 #8057 by FDR
Well, it's hard to fight against the unecpected reboots, however PB did everything he could, so the current version seems more stable then the published ones in this regard.

First: I would recommend to use fixed id for the DEVO protocol.
It will help to prevent flying with the wrong config too.
(It is very important to configure the fail-safe values too...)

Second: don't leave your tx turned on for long time.
I always turn it off between flights, and I never had a reboot.
If you do this after switching models, even the v2.1.0 won't switch to an other model on a reboot.

The "Auto=min" prevents accidents caused by turning the tx on with some throttle, in which case the rotors would spin up immediately and coud cause demage and/or injury, so you should consider first if you really want to remove that.
However it's true, that it would make nearly impossible to recover a heli in flight with idle up mode...

More
25 Mar 2013 06:37 #8058 by JFS737
Are you saying the nightlies are more stable than 2.1.1?

I am going to try to use fixed ID's, I have fail safe values and they worked to the extent they could. Wish I had a bit more up elevator programmed in.

Did not know about turning it off each time for a new model, I'll try that.

Auto=Min will be there for all Heli ini's but I think I'll remove it for all my planks. From what you say, this may prevent it switching models after a reboot and may give me control immediatlely and without closing the throttle, this would have saved me.
How would I delete this .... here is the partial file...
Do I remove [safety] and Auto = min or just Auto=min?

Thanks a bunch for all your help. John

source=Volt1
above=1
value=52
[safety]
Auto=min
[gui-qvga]
trim=4in
barsize=half
box1=Ch3
box2=Timer1
box3=Timer2
box

More
25 Mar 2013 07:25 #8059 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Major Problem ? ! ?

JFS737 wrote: Are you saying the nightlies are more stable than 2.1.1?

I'm sure.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:

More
25 Mar 2013 09:13 - 25 Mar 2013 09:22 #8062 by FDR

JFS737 wrote: Are you saying the nightlies are more stable than 2.1.1?

In the question of the reboots definitely.

EDIT: You know, the v2.1.1 is rather old already, a lot of things happened since that...

JFS737 wrote: I am going to try to use fixed ID's, I have fail safe values and they worked to the extent they could. Wish I had a bit more up elevator programmed in.

I use it only on the throttle channel, since you can't be sure in what position will the model be...

JFS737 wrote: Did not know about turning it off each time for a new model, I'll try that.

It is not neccesary, I'm just used to do that way, mostly because I'm too lazy to reset the timers manually. ;)
However if you use v2.1.x, and switched models, you better should do...

JFS737 wrote: Auto=Min will be there for all Heli ini's but I think I'll remove it for all my planks. From what you say, this may prevent it switching models after a reboot and may give me control immediatlely and without closing the throttle, this would have saved me.
How would I delete this .... here is the partial file...
Do I remove [safety] and Auto = min or just Auto=min?

Actually it is more in the way for helis, because in idle up mode you can't simply lower the throttle, just by switching the throttle hold on/off...

You can remove the whole section:
[safety]
Auto=min
Last edit: 25 Mar 2013 09:22 by FDR.

More
25 Mar 2013 18:53 #8074 by JFS737
Thanks again guys,
I'll download the latest nightly.

and remove the stuff Auot/min stuf from my models. I am in throttle hold on the ground so if it reboots no issues for Heli or Plane... and in the air, I want it to send signals as soon as it reboots... so don't want to have to go to idle first. Removing Auto=Min will do this for me as I understand it. Let me know if I got it wrong... Thanks so much for all your help.

John

Time to create page: 0.054 seconds