Using PPM External modules

More
04 Apr 2013 01:29 #8481 by Hexperience
Using PPM External modules was created by Hexperience
I'm trying to get my frsky external module to work. All I should need is power and PPM, but I can't seem to get PPM out of my devo12... even though PPM is working very nicely for phoenix. I just can't seem to get a plug working.

Anyway I was thinking we could discuss external modules in one thread and that we could let others know how/what we got working. And where you got the ppm signal from, trainer port or internal pin...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2013 01:58 #8482 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Using PPM External modules
Ok, so I take it that the PPM signal has to be grounded back to the same power source? I'm not really sure about this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

If I only connect PPM wire to the DHT from a 9x and power the DHT with a battery I get no PPM control, but if I power the DHT from the 9x it works fine. So if I need to power the module from an external battery, (becuase the 12s is only 3.3v) how to I ground it so that PPM will work?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
04 Apr 2013 05:15 #8483 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Using PPM External modules
If you want to send digital data from tx to module over wires you do this with a voltage difference which is nearly 0V (what means a logical 0 or 1 depending on the definition) or quite different from 0V so it can be recognized (and what represents the other logical state). Also PPM is a kind of analog signal, the values on the line are digital.
To measure / read them you need a reference point. In almost any cases ground is used for this.
So you will have to make a connection between the tx-ground and the module-ground. If you have this, they have their common reference point and a voltage on either side can be measured against ground on the other.
Short: yes, you need a connection between the grounds and one for the data.

More
04 Apr 2013 06:53 - 04 Apr 2013 08:11 #8489 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Using PPM External modules
Hi Hex

To add what to what RBE said about references - you can use the external battery as you described, but then you have to connect both PPM and the battery negative line (the DHT module reference) to the negative of the TX (the TX reference).

(This is normally safe to do with battery equipment, be careful however when one or both are mains supplied.)
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 08:11 by RandMental.

More
04 Apr 2013 20:36 - 04 Apr 2013 21:14 #8538 by Hexperience
WooHoo! It works, I'll post some pictures when I have it looking a little better.

Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 21:14 by Hexperience.

More
04 Apr 2013 20:58 #8539 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Using PPM External modules
Hi Hex, I don't have a 12s.

Do you perhaps have a multimeter, a volt or ohm meter would do to determine which is which. The metal can of the Rx module would be negative or ground - using the voltmeter and 5V range on the meter, you should see no voltage difference between the rx can and ground, while you would see some voltage between the PPM signal line and the rx can. (Obviously only when the tx is on)

More
04 Apr 2013 21:25 - 04 Apr 2013 22:41 #8540 by Hexperience
Thanks... Yep, the tip is signal as I thought. So I'm going to wire up the any link, and an frsky homemade anylink style module.

.... My anylink / frsky cable.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Apr 2013 22:41 by Hexperience.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds