Oh dear, how do I fix this...

More
13 Aug 2013 11:14 #12943 by Damo
Oh dear, how do I fix this... was created by Damo
Another hardware mishap. :(

I think I must have not aligned the USB connector with its hole in the back case when I assembled my Devo 10 the other day, and not I have a completely separated usb connector. How i did this, not sure? I have had plenty of experience assembling anything from electronics to engines.

The four solder mount pads have separated (two from the solder, and two pads& solder from the sub-board).
Plus the five connectors have all come away from the sub board, some at the solder join but I think one has broken the trace/pad away from the sub-board.

Ouch.

Does anyone know if it is easier to replace the whole connector sub-board (with what? ??) or try and solder all the connectors back on.

If not, at least I am pretty happy with the version of deviation on there (although I had downloaded but not flashed the latest nightly.)

I will have to work out DSC/ppm input into my simulator, as HID is currently not an option. :ohmy:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2013 15:23 #12972 by Damo
Replied by Damo on topic Not too hard...
Right, on the Devo 10 the USB sub-board protrudes through the main board, and has 6 solder connections.
The two rear have no corresponding PCB traces, and look like bracing joins.
There are two on the front at the top (the outside) and two underneath in the middle all have mainboard PCB traces leading away.

I don't have a multimeter here, is anyone that has played with these boards able to identify the USB pin numbers for the four solder connections to the main board?

I ask this as I will solder some cable to these joins and take some wire to a new usb connector I will mount somewhere on the case (much easier than trying to fix the USB sub board pads and solder the SMT usb connector).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

I'm hoping that it is as simple as 1-4 left to right, but without a continutity tester I can test it.

More
15 Aug 2013 13:40 #12991 by Damo
Replied by Damo on topic Fixed.
What a saga.

There are three USB pins, GND, +ve data, -ve data.
I wired these up from the sub-board solder joins (data pair underneat main board) to a usb cable, which I have exiting into the battery compartment, just fits with the lipo that is in there.
Tested ok, HID is working, USB file transfer working.
Managed to break off the antenna from its connector on the devo module (fixed), but decided to hide the Wltoys modules under the main board, so it looks a bit neater in there now.

My phone has died, so I cant take any photos, but when I get it replaced if anyone wants or needs some photos, let me know.

More
21 May 2016 02:56 #48918 by Bhinman
Replied by Bhinman on topic Fixed.
I would like to see a photo of the solder points

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds