Suggestions for my first plane?

More
08 Jul 2015 02:15 - 08 Jul 2015 04:47 #35236 by Tryptych
Suggestions for my first plane? was created by Tryptych
Hey guys, after a dozen quads and a heli I want to try a plane...

Where should I begin? I was watching a video:

...I think I want something similar to that - something that can 3d in a small space. Any suggestions for something similar that is cheap, light, good for beginners, and most importantly: Deviation compatible (Devo 7e +a7105 + nrf24l01)?
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 04:47 by Tryptych.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2015 03:40 #35240 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
An airplane doesn't fly like 'copter, so you really ought to get a fixed wing trainer. At least, that's the advice I was given when I went for my first fixed wing after seven years of flying 'copters. Glad I followed it, and I was just looking for a nice multi-engine plane, not a 3d stunt job. Sure, you've developed orientation skills, but the aircraft responds to the controls differently, and landing and takeoff are radically different actions than they are on a 'copter.

I bought the HobbyZone Sport Cub S, and you can read my review of it . The summary is that HH's SAFE system makes it reasonable to try and learn to fly without anyone helping you, something I wouldn't recommend trying otherwise. I don't know if any of the cheap asian toy companies have anything comparable.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 Jul 2015 04:43 - 08 Jul 2015 04:43 #35242 by Tryptych
Replied by Tryptych on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
Thanks mwm, I'm aware that I'm entering a new arena, and I'm ready. I have some time spent in the simulators, and I plan to start off light/cheap.

With that said, please point me in the right direction: Does anyone recognize the planes in that video? What is that class of plane called (Indoor, light and able to hover like a helicopter)? What protocol is most common? What is the best bang for my buck? Can I do it with my Devo 7e? (a7105+nrf)
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 04:43 by Tryptych.

More
08 Jul 2015 04:56 - 08 Jul 2015 05:11 #35243 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
You could make your own; I haven't tried this particular one yet, but theoretically FliteTest's FT Tiny Trainer would be a good intro, letting you advance through from a simple glider through to full 4 channel acrobatics (and back again if you want to do some sloping etc). Fit it with an Orange or Lemon DSM2/DSMX RX and it'll be compatible.
Then when you are up to scratch you can make yourself an "FT 3D"

I can't talk as I kinda jumped right in without much knowledge with a Formosa-style pattern plane. Took quite a few rebuilds; many due to equipment faults (brownouts, weak motors...) but just as many from dumb-thumbs and panics. So I suggest you get something slow and docile first, or at least something that can be dialed down and still be stable. Maybe something like the FT Mini Speedster if you're tight for space; thing with most planes is they typically need space and speed to fly nicely, some do seem to be quite happy to float around in confined spaces but they are in the minority I think.

I think for an intro plane it's probably best to get something that has self-leveling, which is usually a factor of the wing; polyhedral in the first few steps of the FT Tiny Trainer. Once you get used to flying around you can switch to a dihedral setup where you are in control of the banking. Or you could start there and add a stabilising system that you can switch modes on, eg. an arduino nano and MPU6050 (about $6 total) running multiwii 2.4, again theoretical as I haven't tried that one in the air yet.

[EDIT] Or after a very quick search, maybe something like this is what you are after, no idea if it's usable as a beginner plane though. What you are describing are just called "3D" planes from what I can gather
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 05:11 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
08 Jul 2015 11:07 - 08 Jul 2015 11:10 #35247 by flyguy
Replied by flyguy on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
I would suggest to start with something like an Multiplex Easystar 2 or Hobbyking Bix3. Both are easy to setup and easy to repair and there are a lot of people, who have one and can help. A lot of people recommend to start without ailerons, but I can't understand why, especially if you have some copter experience, flying without ailerons feels like walking without legs, at least for me. Don't buy a very small and lightweight plane at the beginning, smaller planes tend to be more unstable. Also do some simulator training to get the basics and don't be afraid, it's not that hard.
Last edit: 08 Jul 2015 11:10 by flyguy.

More
08 Jul 2015 23:15 #35259 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
It flys quite a bit different from a more typical RET plane but a FlightTest VersaWing is what I learned planes on (elevon only). Costs about $3 to build (yes that's right THREE bucks)!
Doesnt do 3D but very maneuverable and can be scaled very easily, I've built them from 38" (the size the OE plans are for) all the way down to ~18" (and I've seen people at my local field build them as large as 1.5m, tho that requires heavy airframe mods)

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
09 Jul 2015 00:50 #35261 by RoGuE_StreaK

Cereal_Killer wrote: Costs about $3 to build (yes that's right THREE bucks)!

Unless you are in practically any country other than the US; about $15 - $20 here for "three sheets" worth of foamboard. I'm currently making my own tweaked version of Red20RC's KFm4 Microwing , about one sheet's worth or half a $15 "Riot" board. Our boards're also a lot heavier and denser, which can be both a curse and a blessing.

More
09 Jul 2015 04:44 - 09 Jul 2015 04:46 #35266 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
Not sure where (or what special kind of foam board) you're buying but it literally costs $0.89/sheet everywhere I've ever looked for it. Walmart, Walgreens, kmart, Dollar Tree.

I've made quite a few Versa's and I can do it with almost no waste, a standard size (38") versawing again costs me <three bucks in foam, maybe $2 in glue and a $5 roll of "xtreme" packing tape does ~15-20 planes.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 04:46 by Cereal_Killer.

More
09 Jul 2015 05:02 - 09 Jul 2015 05:03 #35268 by RoGuE_StreaK
[sorry for getting OT]; Australia here. Kmart stocks some that I believe are slightly smaller than the DT boards, cost $6 each. OfficeWorks about the same size but more expensive again. Best value without buying 25+ sheets is the biggest one Riot Art stocks, a little bigger than 2x DT boards for $15.
Here are a few articles dealing with it:
flitetest.com/articles/ft-spitfire-australian-foam-board
flitetest.com/articles/foamboard-in-australia
Last edit: 09 Jul 2015 05:03 by RoGuE_StreaK.

More
09 Jul 2015 18:46 #35285 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Suggestions for my first plane?
MS Composit Swift II, lots of fun with that plane almost unbreakable.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds