Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch

More
09 Aug 2015 13:46 #36707 by bugman72
Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch was created by bugman72
I'm having a difficult time getting this accomplished and am beginning to think that it's the setup in my Devo 7E. I have a quadcopter that I would like to put a lost finder alarm on. I am running an CC3D Atom flight controller and using CPPM to connect to my OrangeRx R410X receiver. I have gone through two different tutorials (one on YouTube, one on the OpenPilot GCS WIKI) and have everything set up properly in the CC3D. But, no matter what I do, I can not get the FMODE switch to toggle the alarm. I can see the switch move in GCS, so I know the flight controller sees the input. I just can't get the switch to actually do what I want.

I've read through MWM's PDF and can't seem to figure out exactly how I need to set this up. Basically, I want the FMODE switch to, when in position 1, to activate the alarm. The alarm is installed on the output pins of Channel 5 on the CC3D. Can anyone give me some insight on how to do this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2015 15:42 #36709 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch
That's all you can do. If the switch shows in the GCS, everything is working between transmitter und FC. Are you sure the buzzer is the right type and working?

More
09 Aug 2015 17:51 #36711 by bugman72
Replied by bugman72 on topic Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch
The alarm is working. When I plug the battery into the quad, it will sound. It's a ( Hobbyking Discover Buzzer . Even though I can see that GCS recognizes the switch, I'm not so sure that I have the switch configured properly in the 7E. Here is the segment from my craft's INI. I've tried several different configs, based on looking at other model configs.
[channel5]
max=100
min=0
template=simple
[mixer]
src=FMODE1
dest=Ch5
curvetype=min/max
points=0

I've also tried a modified version of what robocog posted a while back. He used a 3-position switch (SW A0) instead of a 2-position.
[channel5]
failsafe=125
template=complex
[mixer]
src=SW A0
dest=Ch5
switch=SW A0
scalar=-125
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=SW A0
dest=Ch5
switch=SW A1
scalar=0
curvetype=fixed
[mixer]
src=SW A0
dest=Ch5
switch=SW A2
scalar=125
curvetype=fixed

More
09 Aug 2015 19:38 - 09 Aug 2015 19:40 #36712 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch
Did you try this:

[channel5]
template=simple
[mixer]
src=FMODE1
dest=Ch5
curvetype=min/max
points=0
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 19:40 by TomPeer.

More
09 Aug 2015 19:54 - 09 Aug 2015 19:59 #36714 by robocog
Replied by robocog on topic Setting up FMODE as Lost Alarm switch
CC3D also requires a mix in the GCS to do anything with it as far as outputting

You have it working in the input of GCS - so that's the first stage (and all that is needed to ensure the TX is doing what it should

what channel is the buzzer plugged into on the CC3D?

You need to 'route' that RX input to the channel above's output on the CC3D - which IIRC involves going into the mixer in GCS and going to advanced and enabling the right input is routed to the right output

It was a while ago I did this myself and it took a bit of googling till I found the 'how to' for it that was comprehensive enough to make it work

Will see if I can find it....

Found something similar enough for you to go on
forums.openpilot.org/topic/8475-lost-mod...covery-buzzer-on-cc/

You /could/ always plug the lost model alarm direct into the RX as well

Regards
Rob
Last edit: 09 Aug 2015 19:59 by robocog.

More
09 Aug 2015 21:50 #36715 by bugman72
Just tried your suggestion TomPeer and get the same results. :(

Robocog, I am 99% sure I have the CC3D set up properly. I have the alarm plugged into the output pins for Channel 5 on the FC. Inside GCS, I have mapped Channel 5 as Accessory0 under the Custom Tab of the Vehicle section with Curve 1 set to 127.

Input Section has Accessory0 as PPM and Channel 5 with a min/neutral/max setting of 1000/1500/2000.

Output Section has Channel 5 as Accessory0, min/neutral/max values of 1000/1500/2000 and bank settings of 50Hz and PWM.

I can't honestly see any reason why the alarm isn't coming on when I flip the switch.

Am I just missing something glaringly obvious? I've looked at two tutorials on this and have used all of the same settings. The ONLY thing I haven't done is change the RcvrPort setting from Pin 8 PPM + OneShot to Outputs + OneShot. I am connected to my receiver through PPM and am using wires 1,2 and 8 from the ReceiverPort output of the CC3D.

More
10 Aug 2015 18:14 #36730 by robocog
Did you go into mixer settings and click advanced?

I'm sure I recall something in there needed doing

I will fire up the quad and hook it up to GCS and see if I can screenshot it

Regards
Rob

More
10 Aug 2015 18:17 #36731 by bugman72
I did all of the configuration on the Devo via INI editing.

More
10 Aug 2015 18:25 - 10 Aug 2015 18:32 #36732 by robocog
OK have got the screenshot that will speak a thousand words

This is what mine is set to and it does work...
(plugged into ch6 on CC3D)
Have highlighted a red box round the relevant setting

I threw you a curve ball there so apologies
It's 'custom' not 'advanced' you need...rusty memory :D

[img]http://www.robocog.co.uk/rc/quadcopters/Image2 (Medium).jpg

Hopefully it will show OK

Let me know

Regards
Rob
Last edit: 10 Aug 2015 18:32 by robocog.

More
10 Aug 2015 18:27 #36733 by bugman72
Yup. Exactly what I have. :) I still say there's something with the radio configuration that's keeping this from happening.

More
10 Aug 2015 18:51 #36734 by robocog
But if you can see the sliders moving in GCS it kind of rules the TX out to my mind

I don't use PPM and am using bog std PWM

I can try and attach my ini and GCS files

Regards
Rob

More
10 Aug 2015 18:55 #36735 by bugman72
That was my initial thought as well. If GCS sees movement of Channel 5 when I flick the FMODE switch, then it should be good. But it isn't. :( I have every single setting in GCS exactly like what all of the tutorials outline. I initially followed Painless360's tutorial on YouTube, but he's using an older version of GCS, so some of his options are different. And I'm not familiar enough with GCS to know what exactly the difference is between PPM Pin 8 + OneShot and Outputs + OneShot.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:18 #36736 by robocog
Can you test it using PWM?
(or even direct to an RX channel temporarily - just to test the buzzer is doing as expected)

The ini section you have attached is pretty much carbon copy of what I have - and it works this end - so I'm still not convinced its the TX or RX

My RX apparently will do PPM, but not got round to trying it
If your still stuck I can give it a go and see if mine behaves the same way

I am not a CC3D expert either, as my quad flew more than adequately after doing the setup wizzard and just seemed to work without having to read up I never really delved that deep into it

Regards
Rob

More
10 Aug 2015 19:27 #36737 by bugman72
Does anyone know whether I can still use the PWM outputs from the Rx if I'm using PPM to the CC3D? This is my first time using PPM, so there's a LOT of the unknown out there. I'm using PPM out of necessity, as this is on a 150 quad. Space is at a premium, to say the least.

I've asked all of these questions on various other places (CC3D Facebook group, comments section of Painles360's video, OpenPilot forum), but this the ONLY place I've been able to get any sort or response.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:30 - 10 Aug 2015 19:37 #36738 by robocog
PWM

PWM+NoOneShot should be used with a normal PWM type receiver. The 6 rightmost wires of the receiver port carry the signal for each channel individually.

PPM - Pin 3

PPM+NoOneShot is used with modern PPM type receivers, that combine the control signal to one wire. The PPM stream should be sent to the first input through the white wire connected to CC ReceiverPort wire/pin 3. For a PPM receiver, only one pin is used for signal - the remaining wires connected to CC ReceiverPort wires 4-8 are left unused.
PPM+PWM+NoOneShot combines the two modes above, wire/pin 3 is used for PPM and the rest, wires/pins 4-8 are used as PWM inputs.
PPM+Outputs+NoOneShot enables PPM input in ReceiverPort wire/pin 3, and PWM output in wires/pins 5-8. These work as output channels 7-10.

PPM - Pin 8

PPM_PIN8+OneShot is a new mode, where PPM input wire is moved from previous ReceiverPort pin 3 to pin 8 to allow PWM Sync and OneShot125 to be used as ESC output modes.

RECEIVER PORT AS OUTPUTS

Outputs+OneShot makes ReceiverPort pins 5-8 work as output channels 7-10. ReceiverPort pins 3 and 4 are unused. This and the Disabled option can be used if the control communication is via a spektrum satellite receiver or directly through telemetry.

DISABLING

Disabled+OneShot basically disables the ReceiverPort.

So in conclusion I /think/ you need to be using PPM+NoOneShot ...maybe
Is it actually saving much weight or space by doing PPM?
Are you cutting the unusued connectors off?
(It's one of the reasons I haven't yet tried PPM - as I don't see any advantage over PWM... unless I cut the unused wires back - and then its a point of no return should I change my mind and for very little weight or clutter savings)

Regards
Rob
Last edit: 10 Aug 2015 19:37 by robocog.

More
10 Aug 2015 19:52 #36740 by bugman72
I need OneShot for my ESCs. It helps with tuning.

It isn't as much of weight savings as much as space constraints. 3 wires on one plug into the Rx is much better than up to 8 wires. And yes, I have removed all of the wires but Pins 1,2 and 8 from the RcvrPort plug. And you don't actually cut the wires. You remove the connector from the plug itself, making it totally reversible.

I may try connecting the alarm to Channel 5 of my Rx just to see what happens.

More
10 Aug 2015 21:40 #36747 by robocog
Does it work with PPM+NoOneShot though?

I feel your frustration , but I would work with a less complex setup first (and then try adding oneshot)
It does sound like its a CC3D 'feature' to me and worth reporting if it does indeed work without oneshot enabled and it breaks again when it's enabled

I guess you will be quite good at completing the wizzard by the time you are done :D

Just don't forget to tell it the orientation of the board if starting again and its not mounted as std!...I got new motors and decided to start from fresh using the wizzard (rushing to get airbourne again) and it was the one thing I forgot to check and change....gemfans snap easy luckily so no bent spindles or any damage - but it did freak me out a little on first launch after a simple motor swap!
It certainly didn't just pop back into the air as expected!

Good luck and report back

Regards
Rob

More
16 Aug 2015 00:42 #36929 by robocog
Any joy with this?

Regards
Rob

More
16 Aug 2015 03:23 #36934 by bugman72
No joy at this point. :angry: I've all but given up at this point. May try and reconvene later on. I posted the same question on the Open Pilot forum and have tried all odd their suggestions to no avail.

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds