Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e

More
12 Aug 2015 20:50 #36829 by Urby
Hello everyone,
I am new to the subject, I have a Devo 7e I've already upgraded to the A7105 and will NRF24L01 modules.
I like because it has more experience, if you could help me with a list of compatible receivers.
I searched the forum but I do not quite clarify.

Thank you very much and sorry for my english

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2015 05:00 #36834 by mwm
Click the link on the left that says "Supported Models", then switch to the "Protocols" tab. That's the closest thing to what you're looking for that I know of. You then need to buy receivers that use the protocols listed there. New Rx's are announced regularly, so I don't think anyone keeps a definitive list around. Also, many of the protocols only exist on RTF models, and you won't find receivers that use those protocols.

The built-in CYRF module means you can use Spektrum DSMX receivers. Those are popular, as are the clones from OrangeRx. The LemonRx clones work, but haven't been around very long. That module also lets you use the Walkera receivers, and those are starting to see a bit of use, I think mostly because people got them with their transmitters or aircraft. Nine Eagles made at least one Rx for their J6Pro protocol, but it was hard to find, and may no longer be in production since their recent acquisition.

The A7105 gets you a FlySky protocol. That was popular with Hobby King, and is used in some of their Hobby King and Turnigy receivers. I know people are happy using those. However, HK doesn't label them all as FlySky, and there is more than one FlySky protocol, so even when they do provide that label, it doesn't mean it's compatible. Check the comments, as people regularly ask if they will work with the TH9X or T9X, and if they do they use the FlySky protocol that deviation has. The A7105 also has the Joysway protocol, and they make Rx's that use is (I've got a couple for sale - PM me if you are interested). They tend to be nice and small and light and meant for park flyers or boats, so are mostly 4 channels Rx's.

As far as I know, the only protocol the NRF24L01 modules supports that you can get Rx's for is SLT, used by the Tactic receivers. That hasn't been well tested, and doesn't work well with the Proto X SLT, so I would be leery of recommending it unless someone here tells you they are using it successfully.

Best bet is to describe what you want to use it for, and let someone doing that or similar things tell you what they are using.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Aug 2015 08:48 #37236 by Newman

More
27 Aug 2015 12:26 #37242 by mwm

Newman wrote: Urby - there is also a list here docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nBHzT3VW...M84/edit?pli=1#gid=0

That's just the "Supported Models" list in the menu on the left.

More
27 Aug 2015 20:11 #37247 by Newman
Replied by Newman on topic Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e
Sorry my mistake :(

More
28 Aug 2015 07:50 #37257 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e
"DETENTION Tx" Lol :)

More
28 Aug 2015 08:13 #37259 by Newman
Replied by Newman on topic Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e

Fernandez wrote: "DETENTION Tx" Lol :)

I did not notice : :) It must be the Beta prison version

More
28 Aug 2015 09:54 #37261 by Urby
i look naw Detention.....

Im sorry my english is so bad,

Thank you, before i don’t look Protocols switch, i look for rx because i need buy 1, 7ch

More
29 Aug 2015 11:50 #37278 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e
You if you look for a real 7CH RX you can either choose the Devo RX line or Spektrum.
E.g Spektrum AR8000.
This receiver has a DataPort which also supports Spektrum FlightLog with a TM1100/TM1000.
Spektrum can make use of DSMx which is FHSS.

Walkera DEVO protocol is 3 channel DSSS.
Walkera also has external telemetry modules.

DEVO and DSM2/DSMx make use of the CYRF chipset.
You do not need the A7105 or NRF modules.

You you go for the CC2500 HF module you can make use of Frsky receivers X8R.

More
29 Aug 2015 15:33 #37281 by mwm
A word of warning about the FrSky hardware. FrSky, like Spektrum, has through a number of variations on the protocol. And, also like Spektrum, they aren't always backwards compatible. You'll run into 3 different protocols, and they aren't necessarily compatible.

The oldest is the V8 protocol, used by the Rx's that start with V. No telemetry available. This is supported by deviation as "Frsky-V8".

The newer protocol is "D", which deviation just calls "Frsky". This has telemetry, and is generally used by the D series receivers. I believe some V series Rx's can do D without telemetry, and some D series Rx's can do V also without telemetry support. There are now clone D8 Rx's available as well.

The newest protocol is called "D16", and is generally done by the X series receivers. Deviation does not support D16. Some of the X series receivers can be set to D8 mode. However, the X series Rx's have a different telemetry connector, which doesn't work if they are in D8 mode.

It's now illegal to sell or buy V or D8 Rx's in the EU, though the Chinese warehouses that people tend to buy through probably don't enforce this.

FrSky also makes clones of various other protocols, like FASST. I don't know if any of those are supported, but you want to make sure the Rx you buy is supported by FrSky.

Since I'm on a roll...

DSM2 is not quite real FHSS, and probably also illegal in the EU. Except for very special circumstances, you shouldn't be buying DSM2 only Rx's. DSM2 vs. DSMX will only be an issue in very high noise environments. Unless you're flying spektrum-licensed gear on both ends, differences in the implementation can make one work better than the other, and there's some weird discontinuity at 6 channels, such that some 6 channel gear doesn't work well with 7+ channel gear.

Unlike the FrSky Rx's, most of the DSM Rx's require an external module to get telemetry. The Spektrum Rx's generally require another module to get some form of diversity and for the most part don't offer any form of combined signal output. These things can be an issue for smaller models and those who (like me) prefer simpler builds. The latest OrangeRx clones are the only DSM Rx's that offer diversity and telemetry in one module, though I haven't tried one yet.

More
29 Aug 2015 16:50 #37282 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Receivers compatibility Detention Devo 7e

mwm wrote: A word of warning about the FrSky hardware. FrSky, like Spektrum, has through a number of variations on the protocol. And, also like Spektrum, they aren't always backwards compatible. You'll run into 3 different protocols, and they aren't necessarily compatible.

The newest protocol is called "D16", and is generally done by the X series receivers. Deviation does not support D16. Some of the X series receivers can be set to D8 mode. However, the X series Rx's have a different telemetry connector, which doesn't work if they are in D8 mode.

Hi Mike,

wow, thanks for all this in-depth details.

Have there been any threads / postings about the D16 protocol and S.Bus telemetry issue on this forum, rcgroups or helifreak?

I was not aware about the fact, that DeviationTX firmware code can not support the newer D16 mode (with the new telemetry S.Port connector), like the new X series receivers from the Taranis.

You are right. This is what I read:
EU importeurs like Engel Modellbau stopped importing the Taranis until Frsky released their new D16 only HF module firmware because of new ETSI compliance.
So for a CE/KE compatible Taranis transmitter you get the D16 HF module which supports the newer D16 RX.

Is it quite complicated to decode / implement the newer ETSI D16 protocol for DeviationTX?
Lots of changes? Probably completely different protocol?
Are you guys working on it?

To my understanding it makes not that much sense to support discontinued D8 protocol with a lack support of newer S.Port sensors or X4RSB (S.Bus), X4R, X6R, X8R receivers for a long run???
At least not for the EU...

Hasn't been the D16 protocol and X series receivers around for a while?

The interesting thing about the smaller X4RSB receiver is the newer S.Port telemetry and support for S.Bus and therefore modern quad flight controllers or heli FBLs.

Greetings

Thomas

More
29 Aug 2015 17:41 #37283 by mwm
I know a lot of people are interested in getting D16 in deviation - more than 8 channels, SBUS and the older sensors getting hard to find are all issues. However, I don't know of anyone who's taken apart a FrSky Rx and soldered stuff to it to get a capture so the protocol can be reverse engineered. Possibly someone with a TH9 & a D8 Rx module could do this, but it hasn't been done. I'd do it if someone sent me a Taranis :)

The D8 Rx's are well-reviewed, and generally considered more reliable and with better range than the DSMx Rx's. They are still easy to find, and there are open source clones available as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see the clones grow SBUS in the near future. They work very well with modern flight controllers, as they already have battery voltage for both an Rx and flight batteries and RSSI data without adding any sensors. And since they only support 8 channels, CPPM works just fine in lieu of SBUS, though if you're going to use all 8 you need to update the firmware to use a longer frame. The old Data telemetry sensors are hard to find, but the data sensor protocols have been cloned, and modern flight controllers are using that to report their sensor data directly to the Rx, The Vario sensor supposedly translates from S.PORT to data protocols, so you might be able to use some S.PORT sensors with it if you want to, but I haven't tried it. I'm building DIY sensors for RC Yachts, as they aren't available commercially. It would seem obvious that any RC boat with telemetry would report water in the hull, but I've not aware of any sensor doing that. Parts for mine are on order.

Personally I think it makes more sense to support D8 than a lot of protocols deviation supports, like the nanoquad protocols that are essentially one-of and change when they rev the boards. But it's a community effort, and whatever protocols someone is willing to support are the ones that will be supported.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds