Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2

More
14 Aug 2015 04:12 #36864 by ronzer
Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2 was created by ronzer
Will a Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2 with this software? If so how will does it work?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 10:53 - 14 Aug 2015 10:58 #36874 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2
Yes. Please see the start page of the deviationtx homepage.

Have you already flashed DeviationTX? What firmware?

You would just have to change the protocol from DEVO to DSMx in the model setup screen.
You can also enable Spektrum telemetry in the sub protocol screen.

DeviationTX firmware implements their own protocol so it can control the CYRF chip to send DSMx (FHSS) instead of DEVO (3 channel DSSS).

The big benefit of DSMx is the FHSS.

With genuine DSM2/DSMx the additional benefit is the Spektrum telemetry FlightLog (Fades, FrameLosses, Holds).
You just have to use compatible Spektrum receivers with DataPort and for most Spektrum receivers today either TM1000 or TM1100 (if the receiver does not yet send back telemetry).
Last edit: 14 Aug 2015 10:58 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
14 Aug 2015 21:11 #36888 by ronzer
Replied by ronzer on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2
What would be the best receivers to use?
Thanks for all the info.

More
15 Aug 2015 01:37 - 15 Aug 2015 12:14 #36897 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2
The OrangeRx Rx's are very popular, because they are smaller, lighter and cost less than the Spektrum versions. The newer ones provide the Flightlog data that Thomas mentions, and that's indeed a good thing - I wouldn't buy the older ones that don't have it.

Frankly, Spektrum has been falling behind the tech curve for a few years now. Their Rx's don't have diversity or built-in telemetry, and only the very high end ones have a combined signal option - and they use a protocol that few other products support, though that should change. To get the same hardware that FrSky or Graupner puts in one Rx, you have to have a Spektrum Rx, telemetry module and satellite Rx. This means a more complicated install, meaning there's more things I could screw up during the install or that might fail later. The lack of a combined signal option introduces the same set of issues. With their newest Rx's, OrangeRx has caught DSM Rx's up with the rest of the industry.

Personally, I've gone to FrSky for Rx's, though now that OrangeRx has released their new ones, I may pick one up for one model that needs more channels than deviation supports with FrSky. But those require an extra module, so don't really meet your requirements.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 12:14 by mwm. Reason: Fix typos

More
15 Aug 2015 02:12 #36902 by ronzer
Do you have a number for the new orange rx?

More
15 Aug 2015 05:37 #36906 by mwm
Numbers. 620X, 820X, 1020X, and 1220X. They all come in two variants, providing either CPPM or SBUS as a combined signal option. They are all 12 channel receivers, with the first number being the number of PWM servo outputs they have. To get 12 channels on all but the 1220X, you have to use the combined signal.

More
15 Aug 2015 11:38 - 15 Aug 2015 11:40 #36911 by Thomas.Heiss

ronzer wrote: What would be the best receivers to use?
Thanks for all the info.

For what use and what planes?

I used Spektrum AR6210 with the additional SAT. Works nice. You get two receivers at the FlightLog (Fades A + Fades B.).
Then there are diversity receivers like AR610.

You should not use the short antennas for carbon fuselages, carbon platters...
For gliders there are other receivers like AR6255, etc.

For helis with digital bus you may want to look for AR9020 (Spektrum SRXL protocol - supported already by two FBL systems).

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve...
Last edit: 15 Aug 2015 11:40 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
15 Aug 2015 19:44 #36921 by ronzer
For Quadcopter.

More
16 Aug 2015 01:14 #36931 by niteliter
Replied by niteliter on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2

Thomas.Heiss wrote:
DeviationTX firmware implements their own protocol so it can control the CYRF chip to send DSMx (FHSS) instead of DEVO .

am i reading this to say that I can use my Devo 10,with 4.01.,set the proto to DSMX and it will bind to the Trex 450 ,which as DSMX Sat RX,without my having to solder in a module?

More
16 Aug 2015 07:20 #36940 by mwm

niteliter wrote: am i reading this to say that I can use my Devo 10,with 4.01.,set the proto to DSMX and it will bind to the Trex 450 ,which as DSMX Sat RX,without my having to solder in a module?

Yes. I fly a number of Blade BNF herlis and quads with one, with only one problem. If you set the Tx to 8 or more channels, some of them won't work correctly. Not usually an issue since they are all at most 6 channel aircraft. Shouldn't be an issue with a Spectrum Rx.

More
17 Aug 2015 12:58 #36975 by Thomas.Heiss
Yes, built-in, no additional HF module soldering.
But the suggestion is to N O T bind it to FBL with DSMx Sats only.
You would loose the Spektrum FlightLog telemetry feature.

So I recommend using a real Spektrum receiver, connecting all servo cables individually.
Or you go the "Spektrum SRXL" digital cable way, if the FBL/FC supports it.

Using AR9020 with 2 sats may be overkill on 450er heli. I read with a trick you can use one SAT.
I am using the AR8000. AR6210 (including SAT) are smaller.
So just go the route to connect each servo cable from the main Spektrum receiver to the Trex FBL.

There is to be coming the updated Spektrum AR7210BX (re-engineered AR7200BX with Safe or BeastX Pro firmware).
There are already some threads...

More
17 Aug 2015 16:43 #36988 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2

mwm wrote: Numbers. 620X, 820X, 1020X, and 1220X... To get 12 channels on all but the 1220X, you have to use the combined signal.

Mike am I understanding that on these new 6Ch orange receivers you get all 12 channels out in PPM mode?

I have been using only satellites into my FC but this sounds like a good option for future builds. Ive only tried the 615X and it only had 6 channels in the PPM output (and also it was jittery, maybe I needed to switch to 11-bit) either way it only had the 6 channels.

Does this 620X do anything else? Telemetry (back to Devo display) or RSSI type info (either sent back to the Devo or out to the flight controller)? If so I'm sold.

Oh does it take a sat, my 615 doesn't?

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
18 Aug 2015 07:03 #37014 by mwm
The x20 line is listed as having 12 channels out in PPM mode. I don't have one, and haven't verified how well it works. You might check rcgroups.com for the thread on one and ask there. I'm also a little leery of 12 channels in PPM mode, as the early FrSky Rx's had problems with just 8 related to timing issues. I'd want to investigate that before trusting 12 channels.

They also have built-in telemetry that includes Spektrum FlightLog data (as verified by a member of this forum), but the Rx battery voltage telemetry does not work. They recommend using the flight pack voltage sensor. This is a minor PITA, unless you want to monitor two batteries, in which case it's a major PITA.

Yes, they have a satellite hookup. But they also have diversity, which solves the same problem as diversity. See my recent post for an explanation: deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussi...ead-of-my-self#37013

More
19 Aug 2015 11:55 #37027 by mwm
On that CPPM issue, in looking for an arduino CPPM library, I ran across this github.com/jmparatte/CPPM , in which the README says:

Commonly, the 22ms frame limits the maximum number of servos/channels to 9.

He's talking about the 920X, which apparently uses a 22ms frame. The problem is that 10 full value PWM signals are long enough that the sync pulse in a 22ms frame is lost, causing the signal to flake out.

The S-BUS versions of these Rx's won't have this problem. S-BUS is a serial protocol, not a bit-banging protocol, and sends 16 channels of data in either a 14ms or 7ms frame. This is the way to go if you can.

More
20 Aug 2015 23:44 #37084 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Devo 8s work with DMSX / DSM2
I just picked up a new orangerx in hobbyking's recent sale, strangely it doesn't have a number like the others, they just call it an " OrangeRx DSMX 3Ch S.BUS 2.4Ghz Rx ". 3 "standard" channels, or 14 channels on S-Bus. Now back up to $25, but I got it for ~$6 :P
No diversity though. Thought for the price it might be nice for swapping between my foamboard flying wing (elevons) and an arduino-based flight controller (multiwii probably)

More
21 Aug 2015 17:17 #37102 by Cereal_Killer

mwm wrote: The x20 line is listed as having 12 channels out in PPM mode. I don't have one, and haven't verified how well it works. You might check rcgroups.com for the thread on one and ask there. I'm also a little leery of 12 channels in PPM mode, as the early FrSky Rx's had problems with just 8 related to timing issues. I'd want to investigate that before trusting 12 channels.

They also have built-in telemetry that includes Spektrum FlightLog data (as verified by a member of this forum), but the Rx battery voltage telemetry does not work. They recommend using the flight pack voltage sensor. This is a minor PITA, unless you want to monitor two batteries, in which case it's a major PITA.

Yes, they have a satellite hookup. But they also have diversity, which solves the same problem as diversity. See my recent post for an explanation: deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussi...ead-of-my-self#37013

Ok so one more question for now, is RSSI data available out of these new x20's?

I have a 615 that's went bad and the seller is allowing me to pay only the difference to upgrade, just gotta wait for him to receive the old one first. Now I just have to go find what voltage sensor I need for the flight pack.

More
21 Aug 2015 17:21 #37104 by mwm
Well, there was a report on the forums that the X20 Rx's gave you Spektrum Flightlog data, which is what Spektrum uses for RSSI. However, I don't see it mentioned in the manual.

More
26 Aug 2015 22:33 #37225 by Cereal_Killer
Well you convinced me (plus th local guy I buy my oranges from was getting low and they're back order at HK) so I bought three 620's. I figure I can completely ditch the 3DR telemetry on my basic 250 and my mini Tri (builds without GPS) and get by with just batt voltage. On the big girl I'll leave 3DR telemetry but the radio upgrades it's self will be a welcome addition. Hopefully I can get the holds / losses figured out (what "holds" and "losses" mean).

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds