Got ahead of my self....

More
16 Aug 2015 00:09 - 16 Aug 2015 00:26 #36928 by niteliter
Got ahead of my self.... was created by niteliter
I recently bough a NICE but used Trex 450 Sport V2,it has an Align 3FX Governor,and a DSMX Satelite reciever,while I have a Devo 10 with 4.01,I dont hav the module yet,I was thinking,maybe i can swap out the DSMX Sat.Recx. for a DSM2 Sat. Recr?Sounds real EZ..........any thoughts........
that option beats buying a $200.00 DX8,I ordered the module,but maybe I can still use what I have now.
EDIT-what I forgot to mention was that I tried to bind with my DX6I,and I can get a solid red light in the RX,but NO lights on the 3FX,turn off the 450,pull the bind plug,repower up,and back to the flashing light and still no lights on the 3FX,and no servo motion.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2015 00:26 by niteliter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2015 02:35 #36933 by niteliter
Replied by niteliter on topic Got ahead of my self....
OK<trial and error,GOT IT.

More
16 Aug 2015 07:11 #36939 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Got ahead of my self....
What module? Deviation supports both DSM2 and DSMX without any additional hardware.

More
17 Aug 2015 13:01 #36976 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Got ahead of my self....
Neither would I personally go the "DSMx SAT only connected to the FBL" or DSM2 route with not any Spektrum main receiver which supports Spektrum FlightLog (telemetry).

You can find my answer in the previous thread you posted.

More
17 Aug 2015 16:30 #36987 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Got ahead of my self....
I fly all my flight controller equipped multi's with ONLY DSMX satellite receivers. Currently I'm using all orangeRx R110X's (and on one tiny indoor only 135 quad I have a lemon sat), the full receiver doesn't improve range or signal reialibility any over only the sat.*

* I've had MAJOR problems with lemon (every one I've ever used- full and sat) so I now only buy orange's, again the R110X. I use them with Arduino (multiwii running on a 32U4 and a mega 2560) and also on my naze32 and I couldn't be happier; I have only one tiny receiver I have to mount, cheap, only 3 wires, no arbitrary channel limit..

Anyway, like Arakon mentions the factory Devo module works with both DSM2 and DSMX, there is no module you need to buy (hopefully you can cancel your order).

Just set the protocol to DSMX, put the sat into bind mode** and hit bind.

**Note, a satellite has no bind port, it can not bind on it's own. You must plug it into a full receiver and then bind to that, after you unplug the sat then works on it's own. You may be able to use your flight controller to bind too, for example with Naze you put it into bind mode and it binds the satellite, but either way the sat must somehow be put into bind mode, it doesn't have autobind.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
18 Aug 2015 07:00 #37013 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Got ahead of my self....
While I don't doubt that Cereal_Killer doesn't see a change in signal reliability when comparing an R110 sat on a multirotor when compared to an Rx or Rx/sat combo, that's not a general truism. Rather than see someone assume that, I'll cover things briefly here, and explain why his choices are appropriate for what he's doing.

The issue that satellite's (and the diversity offered by the R110 and most companies but Spektrum) is trying to solve is signal loss as the orientation of the aircraft changes. There can be two reasons for this. First, the quarter-wave dipole antenna universally used in 2.4GHz Rx's changes sensitivity depending on the direction of the source, so simply changing the orientation can cause a drop in signal strength. Second, some bit of hardware in the model may absorb or reflect the radio waves, again causing a drop in signal strength if they get in line with the Tx and Rx as the aircraft changes orientation.

There are three solutions to these problems, and a lot of noise and FUD about them all. The most important point is that none of them will, under any conditions, increase your maximum range. What they all do is keep you from losing signal as the aircraft orientation changes.
  1. Long vs. short antennas. Sorry, but a quarter-wave 2.4GHz antenna is always:
    frink> .25 * c / (2.4GHz ) -> mm
    just a bit under 31 and quarter mm long. The "long" antenna receivers have shielded cable that lets you position the actual antenna at the end somewhere away from problematic components, or even outside of a carbon fiber body.
  2. Diversity. Done right, this is two antennas, connected to two Rx's, along with hardware to pick the strongest signal. You put the two antenna's at 90° to each other so the two antennas complement each other. Long antenna cables here will let you position the two antennas on different sides of your problematic hardware, whereas two short antennas probably won't do that.
  3. Satellites. This is only used by Spektrum. As far as I can tell (they don't talk about the tech much, and I haven't seen a teardown on one, pointers to details appreciated), this is just diversity with the two Rx's in different boxes. Different boxes is even more flexible than long antenna cables.

The downside of all these things is they add weight and size, and in the case of satellite Rx's complicate the install and setup by having more boxes that need to be connected.

For your typical multirotor, a pair of antenna pointed away from the flight controller is probably more than adequate. Long antenna may not even fit on the thing reasonably, and a satellite would be serious overkill. Using a satellite Rx instead of a full one won't make any difference.

For a 450 CP heli? I can't say - there are way to many variables. I don't think I'd trust an R110 on it, though. I'd want at least diversity and the longer cable antennas so I can position them properly.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
18 Aug 2015 15:40 #37018 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Got ahead of my self....
To clarify what I was talking about (and what mike touched on):

The OrangeRx R110X is a diversity receiver. It has two di-poles and the switcher (and the switch controller). Now the LemonRx's satellite IS NOT diversity, it has a single active element and a reflector straight across from it, the orange on the other hand has it's two active antennas orientated at 90* to eachother and again does actively monitors them.

The only real difference between the R110X and a full orange diversity receiver is what it does with the signal- the sat just sends it out in serial form (so your FC or the full RX must decode it) where as the full receiver decodes it (either into CPPM data or into individual PWM channels).

If you use a full orangeRx and an orangeRx R110X together you actually have a four point diversity system! I use just the sat (for ONLY two points of diversity) and I have the antennas extended out on coax, one in the left arm orientated vertically, the other on the right arm orientated horizontally.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds