XL7105 doesn't bind after upgrading to Nightly

More
25 Aug 2015 14:58 #37202 by Fer
Short description: NRF and XL7105 modules, DEVO 10. I changed the wiring to meet the new demands of nightly builds. I upgraded to newest nightly build from the downloads section. But the XL7105 although is found to be there, can't bind to any of my models. Also the NRF works, but not as before.

Detailed Description: Starting from the NRF. Before the upgrade i was able to remote switch on/off the camera recording with the upper left trim button. After the upgrade that function doesn't work. Going back to 4.0.1. makes that function to work again. Is this normal? I use the ond .ini files from the 4.0.1 version because i want to avoid to reprogramme all models. Besides i think the 4.0.1 and nightly builds .ini files are compatible.

The XL7105. I disconnected TXEN from 3.3V and connected to GIO1. Also disconnected RXEN from GND and connected it to GIO2. So the wiring must be ok, it wasn't a lot of things to do to. The NRF is connected to TMS and the XL7105 is connected to TCK (that is NRF=A13 and A7105=A14 in hardware.ini).

The modules are both detected but XL can't bind to anything. The only thing that i have a suscpicion that might be wrong, is that i wired the XL's 3.3v not directly to TX's VDD but to the NRF's 3.3V. I don't knoww if the NRF could possiply stop the current from reaching the XL7105.

Going back to 4.0.1. without altering the connection again, makes the NRF work exactly as before (remote control ability of my V222 camera is restored), the XL is also detected, but still it doesn't bind to anything.

Anyone has any idea what could be wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2015 16:37 - 25 Aug 2015 17:43 #37204 by TomPeer
it sound like your wiring is ok. it should not matter that the 3.3v is conected at the nrf module, the wires are connected anyway, when you get both from the tx.
I know there are some changes made to some assignments regarding video and photo stuff in the nightly. it is possible you have to reassign your camera to another channel. see this thread:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...-extensions-channels

I do not know what is the matter with the xl7105 module. When you choose a protocol were the xl7105 module is needed, you do not see an * in front of the protocol name?

Edit:
Maybe you could post your hardware.ini and a picture of the wiring of the xl7105
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 17:43 by TomPeer.

More
25 Aug 2015 18:30 #37206 by Fer
Ok, so the channels may have changed, and need reprogramming. That i will do at some point, or i will download ini files that work (because i am not the best at programming the Tx).

Now for the XL7105. So it seems it does get power. It doesn't have a * before the assosiated protocols. It is recognised by the firmware. It just doesn't seem to work, and it doesn't bind.

Unfortunately i didn't take photos of it when we changed the wiring. But i looks like i will have to dissasemble the tx again and check all soldrings on the modules. That's where the problem could be. I only hope the module is not damaged.

More
25 Aug 2015 18:41 - 25 Aug 2015 18:42 #37207 by TomPeer
Also make sure the antenna is connected. It sounds like there could be a problem. If you have fixed id's you could try to rebind.
But indeed it does sound like there is some trouble with the module.

Edit: don't forget the pictures.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2015 18:42 by TomPeer.

More
26 Aug 2015 13:29 #37214 by mwm

Fer wrote: The modules are both detected but XL can't bind to anything. The only thing that i have a suscpicion that might be wrong, is that i wired the XL's 3.3v not directly to TX's VDD but to the NRF's 3.3V. I don't knoww if the NRF could possiply stop the current from reaching the XL7105.

As TomPeer said, this shouldn't make a difference. I just wanted to note that I do that with an NRF24L01 & Xeida A7105 module in my 6S, and that works fine on the nightly build. Which to me puts the firmware and power connection as low-probability culprits. You might try turning the power down on a model and see if that binds, on the off chance that the amount of power being used makes a difference. I don't expect it to, though.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 Aug 2015 18:31 #37221 by Fer
Unfortunately looks like my DEVO 10 is dead. I don't know what went wrong. We opened it today to check all the wiring and determind what could be wrong. We redid the soldering on the last connections we made (since everything else looked good, and it was working ok before the update). We couldn't find something that was obviously wrong. Then we reassembled anything and closed the tx.

When we tryed to power it, it wouldn't power on. We checked the battery, it was ok. Then checked the cords that provide power to the board and they were ok too. The power switch was too working ok. It just won't power up.

Then we unsoldered all the extra wiring for the NRF and XL7105 modules, and we only left the CYRF module inside the tx. Still no power. Sadly, we were not able to find a reason for this. No smoke, nothing smelling like burned, no visual of a damaged circuit or anything. But it just won't power on. No screen lights up, no sound beeps, no nothing.

Is there a fuse somewhere that could be burned? I hate to admit it, but i think i need to find a replacement board, if there is as a spare part at all that is. If not, maybe i need a new DEVO 10 then, and probably buy new NRF and XL7105 because i don't know if i can trust the ones i have now. Any help and ideas are welcome.

More
27 Aug 2015 10:14 #37237 by TomPeer
Aiii. I feel a bit guilty, sinds i am the one who set you up for this. For that i am sorry. But it realy should have been a real easy job.
I am sorry for your troubles now. I hope you can figure it out, and it is not as bad as it sounds.
Good luck.

Tom

More
27 Aug 2015 10:54 #37238 by Fer
LOL.... Don't feel guilty, it's me that i am a bit naive with all this. Its just my luck. The weird thing is that it seems so difficult to destroy the board. So many other people have made the wrong connections and haven't had any permenant damage to the board, and i have managed to damage it without even knowing how i did it. We only did work with the soldering of the modules, we touched nothing one the board. Unless it was already damaged. But last night it was working (not the XL7105, the rest of it), and then suddenly not working. We will give it another go maybe today and see if we can find something.

I feel like i am back to middle ages now :( . I recalled to duty the toy-grade wltoys txs for my quads, and even my DX6i that i use mainly for my planes is not anywhere close to what DEVO 10 is. I have to get another one if this one doesn't work afterall. It's only i must do all this work from the beggining...

More
27 Aug 2015 11:01 - 27 Aug 2015 11:33 #37239 by aMax

Fer wrote: .

Is there a fuse somewhere that could be burned? I hate to admit it, but i think i need to find a replacement board, if there is as a spare part at all that is. If not, maybe i need a new DEVO 10 then, and probably buy new NRF and XL7105 because i don't know if i can trust the ones i have now. Any help and ideas are welcome.

Have a look on this schematic and seach for these two transistors and the fet.
If there is power on the switch, you should examine where it stops.

Edit:
I think its from the 7e, but on the 10 it should work similar.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 11:33 by aMax. Reason: typo

More
27 Aug 2015 12:30 #37243 by mwm
I suspect you did this already, but if not, it's worth trying. Pull the battery for a minute or so, then plug it back in and see if it powers on in upload mode. If the firmware is scrambled, this will reset it and then let you install new firmware. At least once, my 10 was sufficiently scrambled that just powering it on after yanking the battery would re-brick it, and I had to re-install the firmware to fix it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
28 Aug 2015 18:58 - 28 Aug 2015 18:59 #37269 by Fer
We were hopping for a ressurection today, but in vain. The battery was unplugged for almost two days, but the tx didn't turn on. Also we did try again to enter the frimware upload mode, still nothing. The switch is working ok. We can't find exactly were the circuit is broken, it takes more knowledge and skills for doing that. We also tryed to turn it on with out the CYRF module plugged, but still nothing.

The only real option now is to purchase a new mainboard, if it is available from somewhere. I am not very optimistic though that Walkera is selling spare parts. Anyone know of a place where i can buy a new mainboard? Then i will buy new NRF and XL7105 modules and do the wiring for nightly builds from scratch.

Anyway, thank you all for the help. I will be back sooner orl later with more questions, even if that means purcasing another DEVO 10.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2015 18:59 by Fer.

More
03 Oct 2015 00:22 #38372 by Fer
Well, new DEVO 10 arrived some days ago, and new modules too. We finaly did the job yesterday, and everything seems to be working ok until now. Maybe it was just bad luck last time.

So thank you all for all the information and help. I hope this project continues to advance.

More
03 Oct 2015 17:04 #38394 by beardyman
Replied by beardyman on topic XL7105 doesn't bind after upgrading to Nightly
When I modded my Devo 10 it wouldn't turn on either. I found a small solder bridge across two pins where the CYRF module plugs in. I flicked it away with my fingernail and my Devo operated perfectly!

So if nothing burned, there's a good chance your transmitter is OK...

More
15 Oct 2015 17:28 #38872 by Fer
Unfortunately it wasn't anything that easy to fix. Actually there were several parts burned. Maybe we shorted something accidentaly, but it doesn't matter anymore, the new tx works excellent. Even better than before i must say, because now i have way way way much more range on the XL7105 module than before.

Here is a diagram made by my friend Ilias that show the connections we made. It is based on a diagram posted by Orion55 on another thread, only that Orion55's one is about a DEVO 7e, and this one has the pins layout of the DEVO 10 module.

Thank you all again for you interest and help.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds