Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?

More
26 Aug 2015 13:55 #37215 by Cereal_Killer
Spek sat bind SPI sniff please? was created by Cereal_Killer
Does anyone here have, or can anyone get for me (I know I know, I ordered my own logic about 10 days ago from BG, expect it by 2027 or so) a capture of the data line between a Spektrum (or orange / lemon) DSMX sat and main receiver during the bind sequence?

I may also need them from the GND and 3V3 lines too (unless nothing happens, in which case I don't need to see captures if they're just held low/high, looking at multiwii code tho I think they may be pulsed in sequence with the data line).

This would help me out a ton right now, working on something cool!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2015 22:05 - 27 Aug 2015 22:06 #37251 by robca
Replied by robca on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?
I could do it, but I'll have to dig the right components out of storage... have you looked at this thread? www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284843 and this one www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=922566 ? one more here www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6270

You would also need to know if it's using 10 or 11 bit frames... maybe analyzing someone else's code could give you the info you need? github.com/jbudworth/SpektrumSatRx (this clearly explains how to bind) , or diydrones.com/profiles/blog/show?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A64228 or even in the Arduino forums
Last edit: 27 Aug 2015 22:06 by robca.

More
28 Aug 2015 13:01 - 28 Aug 2015 17:32 #37264 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?
Thank you, those links answered my questions perfect. So 3v3 and GND arnt modulated at all and the bind signal is just a series of pulses.

I don't need the captures with that info so don't waste your time digging stuff out for me. Thanks again! I'm gonna go look around on arduino forums, see if anyone's making the little 328P bitbang SPI on digital pins so serial TTL still works for hooking it to the GUI (edit: or I guess they could bitbang SPI out of it so the SAT could still use RX0...)

Edit2: screw the 328P, this is exactly what the 32u4 is for!

Last edit: 28 Aug 2015 17:32 by Cereal_Killer.

More
29 Aug 2015 21:43 #37292 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?

Cereal_Killer wrote: Edit2: screw the 328P, this is exactly what the 32u4 is for!

How about this instead ...

www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32...?hash=item48725e00bc

Wondering if it's not time to change our focus on MCUs for small projects. Reduce the number of development environments necessary ...

More
29 Aug 2015 22:02 #37293 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?

Richard96816 wrote: [Wondering if it's not time to change our focus on MCUs for small projects. Reduce the number of development environments necessary ...

Been wondering that myself. There are a bunch of 32-bit arduino wannabe's around. Most of them are aimed at the internet of everything, so include Wifi of some sort. Which I think might be a win for the things I'm doing.

But which of them do you want to invest in for the long term? Personally, I think what I'd like is a RPI or similar in a pro mini form factor.

That board says "for arduino". Does that mean it's got an arduino-compatible bootloader, and you one of the Arduino board settings will work? Or something else entirely?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
30 Aug 2015 03:06 - 30 Aug 2015 04:57 #37297 by Richard96816

mwm wrote:
That board says "for arduino". Does that mean it's got an arduino-compatible bootloader, and you one of the Arduino board settings will work? Or something else entirely?

I'm pretty sure it needs an st-link for programming. I think arduino-compatible suggests you can use arduino shields and stuff ...

Edit: Apparently the STM32F series all have built-in USB bootloaders in ROM. St-link will work, but is more for debugging.

Last edit: 30 Aug 2015 04:57 by Richard96816.

More
30 Aug 2015 14:05 - 30 Aug 2015 14:06 #37309 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?
Wow, or never seen one of those before, looks great for some stuff but IMO, some of the ways I use arduinos (I'm a home school Science / technology teacher) the cost alone takes it out of the realm of possibilities. I instruct between 6 and 10 kids regularly, each student needs a couple of arduinos mini's to build proto circuits with, to supply them with arduinos I'm looking at $40, to supply them with these I'd be looking at $120.

Having said that I did just buy two, they look fun to play with, but I doubt they work with the arduinos IDE and, at least large scale, they're not cost compatible with the <$2 pro mini.

Richard96816 wrote:

Cereal_Killer wrote: Edit2: screw the 328P, this is exactly what the 32u4 is for!

How about this instead ...

www.ebay.com/itm/STM32F103C8T6-ARM-STM32...?hash=item48725e00bc

Wondering if it's not time to change our focus on MCUs for small projects. Reduce the number of development environments necessary ...

Last edit: 30 Aug 2015 14:06 by Cereal_Killer.

More
30 Aug 2015 23:32 #37317 by Richard96816

Cereal_Killer wrote:
Having said that I did just buy two, they look fun to play with, but I doubt they work with the arduinos IDE and, at least large scale, they're not cost compatible with the <$2 pro mini.

:-) I see your point. A couple dollars can make a difference at times. Especially when you want to buy a few. Otherwise, 32-bitness for $5 seems like a winner. Oh, the things you could do! And I have seen them for less occasionally. Next year they will be cheaper ... Getting ahead of the curve might be nice. :-)

Oh, and there is some support for the Arduino IDE. But folks here might appreciate the incentive to embrace the Deviation world a little more fully instead. :-)

(I've not really worked with STM code or hardware yet. All my recent experience is with Arduino.)

Haven't tried the onboard ROM bootloader yet either. That's sounds like a winner! Wondering if that's accessible on Devo radios.

More
01 Sep 2015 05:52 #37350 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Spek sat bind SPI sniff please?
I ordered one as well. Except from Amazon, as it winds up costing a buck less - and I could use points, meaning it cost nothing out of pocket. If you search for the part # and "board" on ebay, you can get them for about $4 including shipping.

Seems to be a lot of interest in this thing on Arduino. There's a forum for using the Arduino IDE on STM32. The most interesting thread for this board seems to be this one: www.stm32duino.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=69 .

In looking through that forum, they suggest the Maple Mini clones ( www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat...rksid=p2045573.m1684 or www.aliexpress.com/item/leaflabs-Leaf-ma..._3,201444_5,201409_4 ) at about the same price are better buys. While they are very simlar, the maple clones work better with the Arduino software, and they have a slightly better CPU (128K vs. 64K) flash.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds