Looking for SBUS/Serial output to OpenLRSng

More
29 Aug 2015 19:29 #37290 by ohhorob
Can this be done?

(I've searched here for "serial output", and for "sbus", but cant find anyone describing outputting SBUS/serial)

Ideally, I could use the trainer port to connect the Devo with the Deluxe TX, however I'm fine with cracking open the Devo and wiring up whatever I need (Already have a Hubsan radio module in there)

My overall set up is:

Devo12S -- Serial/SBUS -- { DTH-UHF Delux TX } -- openlrsng -- { Brotronics 4ch remix } -- Serial/SBUS -- { SPRacingF3 } -- Cleanflight

I know my TX can take serial input .. github.com/openLRSng/openLRSngWiki/wiki/...-and-how-is-it-used-

What is the use of the "Serial" port on the bottom of the Deluxe Tx ? and how is it used ?

The serial port can be used for telemetry or for inputting serial RC protocol such as SBUS/SpektrumSAT/SUMD.

My RX is fine too .. www.multirotorsuperstore.com/brotronics-4ch-remix.html

"Small and light OpenLRSng reciever with native SBUS output, support for PPM or 4 phsyical PWM outputs."

Any the flight controller has built-in inverter for SBUS

Broad RC receiver Support
Supports SBus, SumH, SumD, Spektrum1024/2048, XBus, PPM, PWM receivers. No external inverters required (built-in).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2015 22:20 #37294 by mwm
SBUS and serial are normally things used to connect an Rx to a flight controller or servos. I've known it's suitable for connecting the Tx's to each other, but this is the first time I've seen that done.

Of course it can be done. You'll need to add an "SBUS" protocol to deviation that outputs on the trainer port. Then you can connect that to your Deluxe Tx and set it to use SBUS.

it might be easier to create a cable for the PPM input on the Deluxe TX, and then connect that to the trainer port, since deviation already has a PPM protocol that outputs to the trainer port.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
31 Aug 2015 03:21 #37323 by ohhorob
Replied by ohhorob on topic Looking for SBUS/Serial output to OpenLRSng
Is there any example code where serial is written to the trainer port?

I'm happy to code something up, but something similar driving the trainer port would be a huge head start!

More
23 Jun 2016 15:51 #50993 by Elmtree
Replied by Elmtree on topic Looking for SBUS/Serial output to OpenLRSng
I'm guessing nothing ever came of this, but I'm very interested in this as well. How hard is it to set up another protocol on the serial port? I'd be looking to set up sumd which is relatively easier to implement

More
23 Jun 2016 16:27 - 23 Jun 2016 17:17 #50995 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Looking for SBUS/Serial output to OpenLRSng
I think the best option is for someone to "deviate" one of these LRS system then just install just the HopeRF module in Devo (via SPI) as if it were any other RF module.

Maybe that'll happen some day but till then it's always possible to use a sbus capable 2.4 receiver as a repeater.

Devo binds to 2.4 rx, that receivers sbus output gets wired to yhe input of your LRS ground side as if it were directly connected to the tx.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 23 Jun 2016 17:17 by Cereal_Killer.

More
23 Jun 2016 16:37 #50996 by Elmtree
Now that would be super cool! Not even having an LRS box hanging off the back. I wonder if it would cause massive interference though, as that seems to be a problem with some transmitters.

I'm wondering how much latency would be added by having a 2.4ghz repeater though...

The main reason I want to move to deviation from opentx (9x) is the form factor of the 7e/6s while keeping full featured. Having built in 2.4 modules is just icing on the cake. The only issue is that there is a shared ppm in/out. I would like to use both my lrs and my headtracker. The lrs can have one ppm input and one serial input so if I can get serial out of the transmitter then I can do ppm into the lrs box from the headtracker. This would give me a nice compact setup. A hope rf module inside the TX would be even more compact of course, but I'm guessing a bit harder to implement than a serial protocol out.

More
23 Jun 2016 17:21 #50999 by Cereal_Killer

Elmtree wrote: I'm wondering how much latency would be added by having a 2.4ghz repeater though...

An unnoticeable amount.

Now I'm sure you could measure it with some sort of test equipment but I fly with a repeater setup (but note, I use ppm from the 2G4 rx to LRS input) and I literally can not notice any latency at all. If I don't notice any on PPM you're definitely not gonna notice any on sbus.

At first I just used this system on planes and larger non-racing multis but as of last weekend I installed a LRS rx on my mini tri racer and even still I can't notice any latency, it's not like a video system...

More
23 Jun 2016 17:29 #51000 by Elmtree
Awesome! That puts my mind to rest. I guess I'll definitely be upgrading the radio module in the radio so I can use frsky and an sbus capable receiver. Or I could do a spektrum satellite I guess? Though that would be harder to power.

What do you use?

More
24 Jun 2016 12:55 - 24 Jun 2016 13:00 #51031 by Cereal_Killer

Elmtree wrote: What do you use?

Well I use a taranis (X9E) so I use a X4R as my repeater but I can bind my devo 10 to it if I wanted a non-tray radio.

Rc control
Taranis --[2g4]--> X4R --[ppm]--> LRS ground D side

MAV Telemetey
APM --> LRS air side --[OTA]--> LRS ground side serial port output --> teensy3.2 MAV converter --> X4R S.Port

Cleanflight telemetry
Naze32 serial port (NOT SOFTSERIAL) --> air side ULRS serial port --[OTA]--> ground side ULRS serial port --[serial inverter and pins bridged]--> X4R s.port. Note you need a s.port sensor in there somewhere to request the comms, can be on either side.

Note as far as telemerty I've got some BIG things in the works! RSSI displayed on taranis to begin with. Track my progress here

Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 13:00 by Cereal_Killer.

More
24 Jun 2016 15:17 #51037 by Elmtree
Awesome! I've replied and subscribed! I think might try a spektrum satellite to start with so I can use it once I get a transmitter. I think I've sourced a 6s so I'm excited. Then I guess I'll have to find a 3 or 4 in one module and maybe I'll update to a frsky receiver at that point. From what I understand those modules allow for the use of 1 antenna for all the 2.4. is that correct?

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds