Is it Possible to swap a switch for a potentiometer?

More
09 Sep 2015 22:58 #37605 by jacklscott3
I have a devo 8s and I need to be able to adjust a camera gimbal.
Would it be possible to take out one of the switches and replace it with a potentiometer? And if not does anyone have an alternative method for controlling a gimbal smoothly?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2015 00:07 #37612 by mwm
No, you can't plug in a pot, because the switches feed a button matrix, not an input pin.

There's a long thread about adding extra inputs to a Devo7E at deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/4442...inputs-for-devo-tx-s . Basically, you connect a small arduino to the PPM input of your Tx, and can add pretty much any input that an arduino can read to it. Pots, slider, a variety of switches, etc. While the title says it's for the 7E, and that's what most people are doing this with, the techniques used here will work on any Tx.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Sep 2015 00:56 #37614 by mwm
Nuts, I forgot a simple solution.

You can set up a pair of trim switches (or buttons) to control a virtual channel. Control the step size to 1, and then the virtual channel will go from -100 to 100. Scale that on the output channel for your gimbal.

More
10 Sep 2015 13:34 #37629 by jacklscott3
I tried setting up a virtual switch before to no avail, but that was w/ my 7e and atleast a year or so has past since then. So when I get home this afternoon I will give it another go. Do you have any words of advice, pointers, tips, or warnings to heed?

More
10 Sep 2015 17:09 #37635 by mwm
The last section of the model config tutorial linked to in deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/3948-tutori...-a-model-config-file has examples of setting up virtual switches for various things. You might give it a look. Use the link to the google doc version, as the download is out of date.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:10 - 10 Sep 2015 17:11 #37636 by jacklscott3
I am reading through the manual and I don't see much information about setting the trim to be a src, only setting it as a switch.
Here is my best guess of how to go this:
-go to the trim menu and change the input from "throttle" to "Virt1" (assuming I will using the throttle trim button for the pitch of the camera)
-on the same trim menu change the step from "0.1" to "1.0"
-go into my channels and disable the trim setting for throttle
- set up a complex mixer on the channel I will be using for gimbal control (in this case ch8 for gimbal pitch) and set the src to "virt1" and the curve as "1-to-1"

am I missing anything?
would it make more sense to just set the input to ch8 in the trim menu (instead of virt1)

sorry I was typing that and posted it before I realized you had responded
Last edit: 10 Sep 2015 17:11 by jacklscott3.

More
10 Sep 2015 17:29 #37641 by mwm
This is all covered in the model config tutorial. The manual is a reference about what you can set, and doesn't talk much about how to use those capabilities.

The short answer is you're missing setting up Virt1: curve is 1-1, scale is 0, trim is enabled. If you're using a nightly build, it'll show up in the channel monitor so you can verify that it's working. If you're running 4.0.1, then you'll need to display it on the main page to test it.

You can set the input to ch8 and set it up that way, but these feature is intended for use with virtual channels, so that may quit working at some point in the future. I'd just use the virtual channel.

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds