NEWBIE: Advice please Devo 7 or FlySky FS i6

More
24 Oct 2015 05:48 #39163 by QC102
Its a long really boring story - but I may have some refund due from "an online Chinese store". Its not a lot but by adding a bit to the refund - rather than buy a cheapo quad which will last a few weeks, because its not worth getting all the support bits to keep it going - I could get a Devo 7 - nothing about Devo7e in sight so I don't know its history sequence, there is no receiver but its only $63.
The Flysky FS i6 @$65 does have a receiver. From what I read the Devo 7 is not able to update the firmware of use Deviation - at least I have not found anything in the downloads yet.
The FlySky may not be brilliant - but with one quad using it - is it the better option??
The other question would be - which is the best to sell on!
If you did not see my thread from earlier this week - I had a Devo 10 delivered from the same store, Thanks to Arnold and others who gave sound help and advice - I got it upgraded to 4.01.
So if the Devo 10 is sound I don't really need another TX, - as as yet the quad kit bits are coming in slowly. Which give me some thoughts that - I don't really know if the Devo 10 transmitter is fully working ie sending out signals. I don't have any sort of RF detector and if its got issues - then another TX coming in would help the situation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2015 06:23 #39164 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic NEWBIE: Advice please Devo 7 or FlySky FS i6
Devo 7 is definitely not supported.

Hadn't heard of the FS i6 (I don't get out much :P ) but after a quick search it actually looks kinda interesting. Supposedly the same as the Turnigy TGY-i6. If it's anything at all like the 9X, maybe it might get a deviation-style firmware hack at some stage?
Looks like it's a "compact", kinda similar to the Devo 7E and 6S; I really like this form factor, so if it was me making the decision, I'd be leaning heavily towards the i6.

More
24 Oct 2015 07:57 #39166 by mwm
The i6 with an Rx will have better resale value. Someone doing a first build can use it as is, but will need to find a walkera Rx for the 7.

I'd try and talk then into either aa 7e as it's about the same price, or store credit and think about it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Oct 2015 03:54 #39175 by QC102
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your opinions.
I think if/when the refund is sanctioned I will go for the FlySky i6 - it comes with a receiver and if only ever used on one quad - in my case - its served its purpose and as mentioned - likely to have a better resale value.

I hold an opinion that the cheapo online stores in China and HK trawl teh makers of everything and buy up returns! I can imagine Walkera getting a return on a new tx - would strip out the stuff like the receiver - which could go out again without issues. Maybe they would not repair and repack as new any Tx they get.... too much time and effort when they are making new batched radios. Which - to me - explains why the Devo 10 I have did not have a receiver with it.

Thanks again....

More
28 Oct 2015 10:15 #39292 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic NEWBIE: Advice please Devo 7 or FlySky FS i6
Does the Flysky i6 have receivers with built in telemetry?
That would be a big plus!

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2327406

More
29 Oct 2015 01:06 #39333 by QC102
Not sure the sale blurb just says, " ..includes receiver".
At this stage I have a $45 store credit so would need to add $20 in "real money". The store seems to do this credit - knowing that the buyer will add a few more $$ to but something - which is what I did- Item $121 - no stock - cancel order... picked item cost - $140..added the difference 10 weeks later got full credit - picked item $143.06 and yes - they took £3.06 from PP. That item was faulty also! More too'ing a frow.ing for refunds to PP... they just dragged on until I said OK.. give me store credit and gave up at $45 because I know it will drag on with days without replies.... and upping the anti by a few more dollars hoping - as I did - get worn down by it all and accepted.
So at this stage I am just letting it go by me!
Will check the link out. Thanks

More
29 Oct 2015 12:37 #39347 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic NEWBIE: Advice please Devo 7 or FlySky FS i6
First I have no dog in this race, I've never shopped for any other brand / protocol of radio however I am an RCMODELREVIEW subscriber and he's always claimed FlySky's low end stuff (maybe that's all of it lol) doesn't do frequency hopping. Don't know if that's true and I hate spreading false info so please please do your research. Bruce knows his stuff but doesn't mean he's even talking about the same thing.

Does this store not carry a 7E? If they don't sell ANYTHING else you're interested in personally I'd spend the $20 and go ahead and get the 7.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
10 Nov 2015 21:43 #39863 by djdazzy
Replied by djdazzy on topic NEWBIE: Advice please Devo 7 or FlySky FS i6

Cereal_Killer wrote: First I have no dog in this race, I've never shopped for any other brand / protocol of radio however I am an RCMODELREVIEW subscriber and he's always claimed FlySky's low end stuff (maybe that's all of it lol) doesn't do frequency hopping. Don't know if that's true and I hate spreading false info so please please do your research. Bruce knows his stuff but doesn't mean he's even talking about the same thing.

Does this store not carry a 7E? If they don't sell ANYTHING else you're interested in personally I'd spend the $20 and go ahead and get the 7.

The Flysky protocol is frequency hopping and spread spectrum, the AFHDS 2A also has telemetry including receiver voltage RSSI etc. The included receiver is a parkfly one with approx 500m range, the full range receivers have been tested over 1.5km line of sight.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds