A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?

More
03 Nov 2015 02:59 - 03 Nov 2015 03:00 #39482 by Nuggetz
A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences? was created by Nuggetz
I installed both modules in my 7E and have tested with a couple protocols and everything worked on my first soldering try. So far, no complaints about the range for my Hubsan models. I can pretty much fly to to point of not being able to discern orientation but the range on the NRF modules is weak sauce. The module I ordered was the one I found on Amazon cuz I didn't want to wait a month for one to arrive by tugboat from China. Anyway, its the PA version and came with one of those external antennas that you commonly find on wifi routers. Anyway, with the limited space in the Devo I decided to desolder the gold connector and soldered an antenna from another 2.4Ghz controller (JJRC H6C) directly to the board.. Tried to work with the antenna it came with but it was too bulky. Anyway, the lengths of the antennas were the same so I assume I'm good there.

Can anyone think of why I'm not getting great range? All 3 antenna as sticking up out of the top of the controller as all couldn't fit in the antenna housing or whatever you call it. They are both shielded with shrink wrap. I don't know enought about RF so have no idea what the problem is. The range is fine for indoors but I almost lost my H6C when the controller signal dropped right when I was hovering over a tree. Luckily I was able to regain control and bring her down. I would very much appreciate some feedback.

This is the module - well it looks like this but this wasn't the seller : www.amazon.com/Buyin-now-NRF24L01-Wirele...29&keywords=nRF24L01
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 03:00 by Nuggetz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2015 04:39 #39484 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?
Did you enable the PA in tx.ini or hardware.ini?

Did you add the NRF24L01 module specified in the module installation guide?

Either one of those could cause range issues.

Otherwise, post the contents of hardware.ini (if you've running a nightly) or the modules section of tx.ini (if you're running 4.0.1) and pictures of the connections.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Nov 2015 05:33 - 03 Nov 2015 05:39 #39486 by Nuggetz
Replied by Nuggetz on topic A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?

mwm wrote: Did you enable the PA in tx.ini or hardware.ini?

Did you add the NRF24L01 module specified in the module installation guide?

Either one of those could cause range issues.

Otherwise, post the contents of hardware.ini (if you've running a nightly) or the modules section of tx.ini (if you're running 4.0.1) and pictures of the connections.

I'm running nightlies and enabled PA in hardware.ini for both modules. Exact version is devo7e-v4.0.1-6b6e0f4. Had issues when I flashed a newer nightly. Perhaps it was my firmware upgrade process but I just happened to try a different version and it worked that time.

The module I added is the one linked. Seems to work fine other than the range difference when compared to the other module.

Antenna soldered to center point where old antenna connector used to be,

drive.google.com/file/d/0B4k5M6XaMBGXU2p...WUk/view?usp=sharing

This is my HW ini
;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
;extra-switches=
;
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
has_pa-cyrf6936 = 0
enable-a7105 = A13
has_pa-a7105 = 1
; enable-cc2500 = A14
; has_pa-cc2500 = 1
enable-nrf24l01 = A14
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 05:39 by Nuggetz.

More
03 Nov 2015 06:36 #39489 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?
I don't know if it would make any difference for the problem you are facing, but i think there should be a ; in front of "has_pa-cyrf6936 = 0" also.

Also i believe the antenna you removed has a two poles clip. I am not sure you can just solder another antenna using just the center pole.

More
03 Nov 2015 07:54 #39490 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?
Is the antenna you soldered in a single wire or is it co-ax? If co-ax the shield (outer braid) needs to be soldered to ground, otherwise the entire length turns into an antenna, and it won't be tuned. With a grounded co-ax, only the exposed bit at the end is the tuned antenna.

More
03 Nov 2015 13:57 - 03 Nov 2015 16:59 #39498 by Nuggetz
Replied by Nuggetz on topic A7105 vs NRF24L01 range differences?
The antenna I soldered in is a single wire and came from a transmitter for my JJRC quad. I took another peek at the soldering job for the antenna connection and I had soldered it to the center pin AND one of the outside pins which I assume are for ground. I corrected that so only the center point is used but I just crashed my quad into a bush in my back yard and I think it was due to poor range. Need to test some more. I went ahead and ordered a few of the "tuned" modules from bangood so I have some on hand when then Devo 10 arrives.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2015 16:59 by Nuggetz.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds