Help with upgrade for Devo 8S

More
17 Nov 2015 01:47 - 17 Nov 2015 01:48 #40129 by nascar1929
Replied by nascar1929 on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
I'll give that a shot and see what happens. Won't be until tomorrow evening when I do, but I'll let you know what happens. When you convert yours to transparent, do they show up that way on the computer or do you only see the transparency in the TX?
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 01:48 by nascar1929.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2015 02:09 #40130 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
Transparent parts appear black on my 8-year-old Windows 10 machine. On the TX I'm using the stock skin, so the blue background shows through nicely. I have the black/red skin on the emulator and they have a black background. I think they work better with a lighter background.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
17 Nov 2015 09:29 #40148 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
Or to make the skin background not matter, I came up with an icon background that I use on all my models. Google "aqua icon" for an idea of how I've got it set up. I use square "aquafied" background with very slightly rounded corners, can use transparancy on the corners or cheat and make them about the colour of what the background would be.
All of my models are stacked in one xcf for easy editing/recovery.

More
17 Nov 2015 19:11 #40157 by mellowvision
Replied by mellowvision on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
the 16 bit bmp format doesn't do true transparency. it basically is just binary, transparent or opaque. And in general, it does not pay attention to whether you have grey checkerboard behind your graphic or not. You need to explicitly create an alpha channel in your file before saving.

When you create a file from photoshop or gimp, that has soft transparent edges, on a transparent background, you can save as a gif or a png, and get a decent edge. With bmp, this is not he case. The software uses your alpha channel to determine the binary opacity of each pixel, and then it mattes the edges on whatever your set background color is. In most cases, the best practice is to set your background color to the color of the background the graphic will sit on. if you can't predict what that background color is, you may get a halo around the text in the color of your set background, if it is in high contrast to your actual background color. Another way to avoid a halo is to make the background color the same color as the graphic. The alpha channel will again decide the opacity. In this case, the graphic will appear blockier and not have as smooth an edge, but it will be able to have transparent edges without a halo. works for some types of shapes and text.

so if you're outputting as described and not getting transparent graphics, this is probably because you have a solid white alpha channel. This means that there are no transparent pixels defined by the alpha channel itself.

I attached two files below to help show the difference.

splashx.bmp fails, because it did not have an explicit alpha channel created in photoshop. even though my layered psd contained no white in the background, my background color was set to white when I exported and it painted the background pixels and edges white.

splash.bmp succeeded, it created a transparent edged graphic, because I added an alpha channel to describe what I wanted transparent. If you view this graphic on a black background, however, you will notice it has a halo of white around the text, because my background color was set to white, so it mattes the edges of the black text on the white background color.

I hope this helps. I can't wait for the day when we can make pngs for graphics like these. BMP is a real pia.
Attachments:

More
17 Nov 2015 19:21 - 17 Nov 2015 19:23 #40158 by nascar1929
Thanks for all the input on the transparency gentleman!
Deal57, doing steps 3,4, and 5 using GIMP did the trick! I now have transparent backgrounds and the aircraft look great!

mwm, Would you happen to have an .ini model file for a Blade Nano CP S or know someone who does? I did a search on the forum and found one, but it wasn't actually a downloadable file. If you clicked on it, it opened to show the settings in the file itself. I tried to copy and paste them into one of my model files, but it wouldn't work for some reason. Looking for stock settings like in the Nano manual.
Last edit: 17 Nov 2015 19:23 by nascar1929.

More
17 Nov 2015 19:27 #40160 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S

mellowvision wrote: I can't wait for the day when we can make pngs for graphics like these. BMP is a real pia.

AFAIK the 16bit R5G6B5 and A1R5G5B5 BMP formats are what the display driver directly support. All other image type would require much more resources...

More
17 Nov 2015 19:34 #40161 by mellowvision
Replied by mellowvision on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
yeah, I figured that was the case, more day dreaming about the next generation I guess!

More
18 Nov 2015 04:38 #40176 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
Sorry, can't help with the Nano CP S.

However, you ought to be able to right click on the file, and use "Save Link As" (or similar wording) to save the file on your local disk.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Nov 2015 21:44 - 19 Nov 2015 22:21 #40227 by nascar1929
I was able to successfully bind my AXN Floater Jet with RX802 today using the tips mentioned earlier. Thanks for the help with that. Got all the settings done and recalibrated throttle on the ESC. All controls test good on the ground. Now just need to get it back in the air!

Problem with my V120D02S though (older 3 axis version with RX2622V-D)...........I'm using the Standard GUI and was able to get it to bind to my Devo 8S with Deviation. I did a test hover and the heli continuously spins (nose) left as it lifts off and hovers.

I have a second Devo 8S with the standard Walkera Firmware and rebound the V120D02S to it and did a test hover. The heli lifted and hovered perfectly with no tail spin.

I also noticed when I bound the heli to my Walkera Firmware TX, the red LED on the receiver remained ON and solid after binding was complete. After binding it to the TX with Deviation Firmware, the red LED went OFF and remained off after binding was complete.

Want to point out that when the heli is bound to either TX, the tail blades remain in the same position. Meaning that there is no difference in center position when it initializes which I thought might be the initial issue. Also all Pitch Curve, Throttle Curve, Gyro Gain, DR/Expo settings are identical between both TX's.

Any ideas as to why the red LED doesn't stay on and why the heli spins left using the TX with Deviation? I'm assuming the tail spin issue has something to do with the LED being off on the RX, just not sure how to fix it.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 22:21 by nascar1929.

More
19 Nov 2015 23:31 - 19 Nov 2015 23:38 #40231 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
Tough to find info on that receiver! My guess is that you can turn on and off heading lock with a channel, and the LED indicates whether it's on or off. On my 3GX the heading control is on channel 5 - positive values adjust sensitivity with heading lock on, and negative values for heading lock off.

Not sure if you have sensitivity control, or if channel 5 is the control channel. You might try searching the 'net, or just play with it. In the standard GUI it's the Gyro sense setting. The only clue I was able to find was here :
" According to the manual, the Devo transmitter setting for the gyro has to be set on manual. I found the tail to be very loose and sensitive on the manual setting. I changed the gyro setting on my Devo 8 to automatic, and the tail is solid through out the whole flight. "
Last edit: 19 Nov 2015 23:38 by hexfet.

More
20 Nov 2015 03:07 - 20 Nov 2015 03:11 #40233 by nascar1929
Think I got it figured out! I went to the Gyro settings and saw that it was set for Gear. This is what I though it was supposed to be since that's how it was with the Walkera Firmware. I was messing around with that selection and noticed I could switch it to either GEAR or AUX/CH7. When I changed it to AUX/CH7, all the sudden the red LED came on! I left Pos 0 at 65 and lowered Pos 1 to 40 (below 50) and flipped my GEAR SW on my TX. The light went out in Pos 1 indicating Rate Mode and came back on in Pos 0 indicating HH Mode. Still has a bit of nose left drift, so I'll put it in Rate Mode and mechanically trim it adjusting the control rod until the drift is gone, then should be good to go.

Once I get this one done, I'll have my Sport Cub S, AXN Floater Jet and V120D02S set up and ready, then I've got 2 more 450's to bind and make sure they are good. Getting them knocked out a little at a time and learning a bunch along the way.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2015 03:11 by nascar1929.

More
20 Nov 2015 08:53 #40238 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Help with upgrade for Devo 8S
Glad you figured out out so quickly. I went through the same thing with my 4F200LM - except I use the advanced GUI. I started with my Mini-CP config, which only used 5 channels. The lama gave me rate mode with five channels, and like you I needed to use channel 7 to get HH mode. Oddly enough, when I turned on channel 7 on the Mini CP, I got the ability to put it in rate mode as well. Not that I ever used it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Nov 2015 18:09 - 20 Nov 2015 18:09 #40243 by nascar1929
Yeah, I only use Rate Mode to get the tail set up properly. Mechanically adjusted so the tail stays straight with no drift left or right, then switch it to HH Mode for flying and adjust the gain as high as possible without tail wag. I learned that some of these Walkera heli's didn't have to be set up that way perfectly from the factory because the TX with Walkera Firmware did all the work automatically. Using Deviation, it doesn't do that, so the heli must be set up in Rate Mode properly. Now I know why I would get a tail blowout from time to time when using the Walkera Firmware. The TX doing it automatically covered up the fact the tail wasn't set up quite right. Learn something new everyday!
Last edit: 20 Nov 2015 18:09 by nascar1929.

More
20 Nov 2015 23:45 #40259 by nascar1929
Another question.........I noticed as I was going through some settings that a "beep" would emit every now and again. Otherwise there is no sound when going through pages and settings. Is there supposed to be a beep tone every time something is pressed? Weird how it just does one beep every now and again.

More
26 Nov 2015 06:51 - 27 Nov 2015 03:59 #40397 by nascar1929
Would someone make me an Advanced GUI file using the stock settings on page 6 of the Blade Nano CP S (DSMX) Heli Manual? I have been reading the Deviation manual and searching the forum, but still unclear how to do it.
I have the Devo 8S with Nightly Build from 10/25/2015 and would like:
Throttle Hold = RUDD D/R Pos 0 Off / Pos 1 On
Panic = ELEV D/R Pos 0 Off / Pos 1 On
FMOD 0, 1, 2 for Stability, Agility, 3D modes respectively.
D/R and Expo settings on AILE Switch POS 0 = 100/100 +25 / POS 1 = 75/75 +25

www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/BLH2400-Manual-EN.pdf
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 03:59 by nascar1929.

Time to create page: 0.070 seconds