Will your 7e stay powered on when plugged in?

More
06 Nov 2015 22:36 #39670 by robocog
I have noticed something recently and can't work out if my mind is playing tricks on me

I'm pretty sure I /used/ to be able to plug the Devo 7e into the power supply (12v 1a) AND use it whilst it was being charged
(mainly when playing flight sims)

Recently I was doing a setup on a flybar controller and I got the beeps from the TX to say it was time to plug it in and charge the cells, so I reached over and plugged it in turned the TX back on waited for it to rebind again , moved the collective to where I wanted it and carried on tweaking

I went to move the collective pitch the other way and noticed the TX had turned itself off (again)
I double checked and the PSU was putting out voltage and was plugged in snugly
I rebooted the TX (power switch to off and back on again) and it turned back on OK
I noticed it was showing it was being charged and not just running from the sagging cells (eg power was showing 5.8v) however when I glanced back at it a few seconds later it had turned off again

Please can someone with a Devo 7e with rechargeable nimh cells plug their TX in to the charger and leave it on and let me know if theirs also turns off after a few seconds to a min or if mine has gone on the blink or if I have made up the bit about using it with it plugged in!

Like I say I am /pretty/ sure I used to be able to use it with Phoenix sim when it was charging/plugged in
Either I have gone mad or the charging circuit has!
it now turns off after a few seconds to a minute, regardless of battery state - even when fully charged

when the TX is left plugged in and NOT turned on it DOES successfully charge the cells - so I know voltage is getting to the right places and nothing is "blown"

I have tried a different 10v 1a charger/psu as well ...just in case I was putting too much strain on the regulator circuit ...and it does the same
These are the only 2 chargers I have ever used with this TX so am stumped and now doubting myself!

Regards
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2015 00:13 #39672 by aMax
Yes, my 7e stays turned on ( tested 15 minutes)
I am using an "IC Universal Regulator" wall plug ( stabilized output from 1.5V, to 12V).
This was set to 9V ( max 1100mA; 9.9VA) and the devo shows 5.97 to 6.02V with DSMX and telemetry enabled.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02

More
07 Nov 2015 00:57 #39676 by Nuggetz
Replied by Nuggetz on topic Will your 7e stay powered on when plugged in?
Same here. I have the exact same setup. Also have rechargeable batteries installed and the walwart charges them up in the 7E.

More
07 Nov 2015 01:27 #39677 by robocog
Replied by robocog on topic Will your 7e stay powered on when plugged in?
Interesting development..
After I typed that I dug through my box of wall warts and popped a 6v 2.1a one in and left it flying/crashing a heli in Pheonix, it has been doing this for the past 25-30 mins and the TX has not turned off
The battery voltage seemed to stay at 5.7/5.8 ish volts and hasn't turned off (lots of annoying inactivity beeping whilst I went off and tinkered with something else)
I did notice the right hand side of the casing by the buttons has got /slightly/ warmer than the rest of the casing in that time

I wonder if I /was/ using a different wall wart before I noticed the issue :/
(still convinced it /used/ to be happy on the 12v one! and the 6v one was at the bottom of the box of PSU's and the ones on top were not very suitable at all....dunno odd)

Anyway it seems OK now and stable on the 6v one so thanks for getting back to me and confirming it SHOULD be fine on a charger and remain turned on

I have another flybarless controller coming in the next few days and suspect I will be needing the TX powered on for many many hours whilst tinkering/reading up/watching youtube vids/setting it up

*the Devo 10 seems much better on batteries than the 7e so far...only based on sim flying

Thanks once again
Regards
Rob

More
07 Nov 2015 02:59 #39679 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Will your 7e stay powered on when plugged in?
Yes mine stays on.

fwiw I consider my 7E to have horribe battery life and that's using the current best on the market eneloop XX's I ordered from Japan (2500mAh) I have to charge every night I fly during that day, usually get about 3 hours from a charge. I have an A7105 and the range mod plus an arduino for the add on channels.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds