Devo10, 3-position FMOD switch

More
09 Nov 2015 16:22 #39779 by nudeymagazineday
Devo10, 3-position FMOD switch was created by nudeymagazineday
I'm using a: DSM2 6-CH Lemon RX . I have a Devo 10 TX, that is flashed with Deviation 4.0.1.

The problem I'm having is with the FMOD switch. It's a 3 position switch, but is only being recognized as a 2 position. This is an issue at the TX level, because I can go to the Channel Monitor on the TX, and it only shows the switch changing when at maximum or minimum, it doesn't move when I move it to the middle position.

This is my first time using Deviation, so I apologize in advance if this question has been answered before. I searched the forum before posting but couldn't find anybody with this particular problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2015 00:17 #39790 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Devo10, 3-position FMOD switch
Did you try searching the forum to see if this question has been answered before? Just collecting data, mind you - the forum search is problematical, and you may have looked but not found, which I'd like to know about.

But yeah, this needs a FAQ. Deviation doesn't use the usual -100/0/100 model for three-way switches. Instead, N-way switches are represented by N channels, each of which is on if that channel is on, and off otherwise. This does mean extra channels for 2-way switches, but makes 3-way switches a lot more flexible, giving you the ability to have, say, a switch that's ON if the FMODE switch is NOT in position 2.

To get the classic three-channel output, you have two choices.

Choice one is the most flexible and obvious. Set up a complex mix (meaning you're in the advanced gui; you can't do what you want in the standard gui) with three mixers. You can use the page selector to move between the three mixers. You're going to set up three nearly identical ones. Set the switch in each to one of the three switches - FMODE0, FMODE1 and FMODE2. Leave mux at replace, ignore src, set Curve to Fixed, Scale to the value you want for that switch, leave offset of 0, and set Trim to No Trim if it's available.

Now Save it. You're done. You can see the flexibility here in that you can use different switches, and set the output values to arbitrary values if you want to use them.

The "clever" method uses two mixers instead of one. Set the first one to not have a switch, and set the Src to FMODE2. Set the second one to use FMODE1 as a switch, fixed curve, Scale of 0. This will now go from -100 on FMODE0, 0 on FMODE1, and 100 on FMODE2. Not quite as flexible, but you need this kind of thing if you want to combine switches and have five or more output values based on two switches.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Nov 2015 03:32 #39796 by nudeymagazineday
Replied by nudeymagazineday on topic Devo10, 3-position FMOD switch
First of all, thank you for the very detailed reply. I did search the forums first, but after seeing your reply, I don't think I was asking the right question.

I'm not following the part about how 2 way switches have extra channels, but make 3 way switches more flexible.

Sorry for the obtuseness, but this is my first time using Deviation (or any TX for that matter), so your help is very much appreciated

More
10 Nov 2015 05:00 - 10 Nov 2015 05:22 #39802 by mwm
Ok, let's try again.

Proprietary software (and possibly the ER9X family - haven't looked in a while) treat switches as a single input whose value varies between -100 and 100 (in deviation terms) at the two ends, and the middle position - if it exists - as 0. So you have the FMODE input, and it will take on values of -100, 0 and 100.

Deviation treats an N-way switch as N inputs, all of whose values vary between -100 and 100. So you have the FMODE0, FMODE1 and FMODE2 inputs. Each of them is 100 when the switch is in the position of that name, and -100 otherwise.

This means I can configure two pitch and throttle curves for a CP heli, use FMODE2 to turn on the inverted pitch curve, and !FMODE0 (meaning on when FMODE0 is off) for a fixed 100% throttle curve. That way FMODE0 is the canonical Idle up mode with no inverted pitch and variable throttle curve, FMODE2 is the canonical stunt mode with a fixed throttle and lots of pitch, and FMODE1 is what I call "Scale" mode with the fixed throttle but no inverted flight capability. This is more responsive than Idle up mode since it's not changing the engine RPM, but without the power and touchiness of Stunt mode, which makes it perfect for flying my scale warbirds like scale helicopters.

But that also means that to get the standard behavior, you have to use the advanced gui and a complex mixer a I described.

Last edit: 10 Nov 2015 05:22 by mwm.

More
10 Nov 2015 23:03 #39879 by nudeymagazineday
Replied by nudeymagazineday on topic Devo10, 3-position FMOD switch
Thanks for the additional explanation, the Mixers are starting to make sense now, I was able to make 3 mixes for FMOD, using the instructions from your first post, and was finally able to get my FMOD switch to output the traditional 3 positions (100,0,-100).

So just to make sure I understand what I did (I happen to be using Channel 6 as my FMOD output):

I created 3 mixes, one for each position of the FMOD switch (FMOD0, FMOD1, FMOD2) that basically say when the FMOD switch is set to a particular position, "replace" the output of Channel 6, with the value that I specified in each mix for that switch position.

I think the issue is there are so many different settings, and I don't understand what any of them do, so it's a little overwhelming.

More
11 Nov 2015 03:34 #39904 by mwm
You got it. And yeah, there's a lot of settings. The manual doesn't help all the time, as it sometimes just gives the names and not descriptions. The tutorial tries to cover all of them, though.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds