Channel assignments for each supported protocol?

More
20 Nov 2015 15:49 - 20 Nov 2015 15:51 #40241 by bmw111
Greetings, is there a list somewhere here that details the "standard" channel assignments for each protocol? For example, I'm trying to figure out what the channel assignments are for use with my JJRC X6, which uses V2x2.

So far I have this:
1 - A
2 - E
3 - T
4 - R
5 - LEDs
6 - "Flip"
7 - ?
8 - ?
9 - Headless Mode

Would sure be helpful if there was a single source for this information for every Deviation-supported protocol. I understand that each model may have different channel assignments, but use the same protocol -- a list of channel assignments per model would be just as useful. But reading through hundreds of threads/posts, I can't consistently find this information. If someone would point me to this info (channels per protocol; channels per model), I'd compile that info and write up a sticky for it. As it is, finding this info for each new protocol I want to use is like detective work. Sure, someone will say, "Just open up a model.ini and review the channels." But people don't name their channels consistently, and seem to rarely name virtual channels. So for someone relatively new to Deviation, just looking at a model.ini may not be helpful. For example, every model.ini I've looked at for the JJRC X6 doesn't name any channel "LED," "flip," "RTH," "Flight Mode," etc.

This is the biggest stumbling block I see for newbs to learn Deviation.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2015 15:51 by bmw111.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2015 16:58 - 20 Nov 2015 17:00 #40242 by hexfet
The user's manual is fairly up-to-date B) For V202 it lists:
Channel 5 controls the blink speed
Channel 6 enables ‘flip’ mode
Channel 7 takes still pictures
Channel 8 turns video on/off
Channel 9 turns headless mode on/off
Channel 10 causes the x axis to calibrate
Channel 11 causes the y axis to calibrate
However not all aircraft using V202 have the same features, so you may find some differences depending on the aircraft.

Recently added protocols try be consistent with this discussion of standardisation . But again features vary so it's not always possible to make every model conform. The supported model spreadsheet has some links to specific model threads where more details can be found.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2015 17:00 by hexfet.

More
20 Nov 2015 18:56 #40244 by bmw111
Doh! I get so wrapped up into combing through the threads looking for info I tend to ignore the User Manual. I just checked and you're correct, it's "fairly" up-to-date. Seems like about half the protocols spell out the channel assignments. Thanks.

More
20 Nov 2015 20:26 #40248 by mwm
Which half don't? And what do they not get? In particular, is it something that should be listed.

I ask because - other than the four channels common to most aircraft - there's no real standard even for the same aircraft on a protocol. For instance, DSM aircraft use Channel 5 for any of gear, flight mode and IIRC gyro gain.

The protocols that Deviation can set things for are the toy-grade aircraft, which don't use real channels for a lot of things. Instead do "half-channel" hacks - just on or off - by setting high order bits in some channel used for other things, and then filtering them on the aircraft. Since deviation doesn't really have support for those, the protocols check unused high-channels and set the appropriate bits in them. In that case, the manual can say things like "Channel x takes a still", but what it really means is that "Channel x on will turn on bit X in channel Y that the model I have uses to take a picture." If they change it later or someone else uses the protocol, it may do something else. For instance, The WLToys V9x9 quads use bits in the throttle channel for various things, but if you turn that on on their V91X helis - which otherwise uses the same protocol - all that happens is WOT.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
21 Nov 2015 02:03 - 21 Nov 2015 02:04 #40262 by bmw111
Protocols in User Manual (web version) not listing specific channel assignments:

WK2801
J6Pro
Flysky (It lists all channels after 1-4, but what are 1-4? I guess I would know that if I had a FlySky Rx.)
Frsky-V8
Frsky (Same as FlySky, if I have a Rx it should be "known.")
Skyartec
SLT (Same as FrSky, if I have a Rx it should be "known.")
HiSky
CFlie
H377
HM830
KN
ESky150
Esky
BlueFly

Unless I'm somehow totally not seeing them, they're not listed. Maybe these protocols are rarely used, or there is some other valid reason to not list the "standard" channel assignments. But for consistency, it would be nice if every protocol supported and called out in the User Manual would list the channel assignments.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2015 02:04 by bmw111.

More
21 Nov 2015 06:51 #40265 by mwm
What manual were you reading? None of the Walkera WK protocols, or Devo, list specific channel assignments. FlySky, no the other hand, does - even in the 4.0.1 version of the manual, which is pretty badly out of date.

For the record, the default uses for the first four channels are used as channel labels in the mixer. That ought to be in the manual, I'm just not sure where. Some protocols list them anyway, but that's not the right place for them. Of course, model manufacturers are only required to follow that order if they claim to be compatible with a transmitter that uses it. The channel 5 label is always gear, because that's the default use for it in all aircraft with gear. Those without - well, they may do something else with it.

As for a lot of the rest - please reread the last paragraph of my previous post. That explains why we can only document specific channel assignments for protocols used by toy-grade models. At this time, the only such protocol that does that that doesn't use the NRF24L01 is the Hubsan protocol. The extra channels are documented. The FlySky protocol is used on a lot of toy-grade models that have different toy-grade extensions, which have to be enabled via the protocol options as the protocol also supports real channels for the channels that deviation uses to enable those. As noted, those are documented.

None of the protocols you list but HM830 have such extensions. That has a toy-grade extension for one channel that gets set by a Tx button that has no documented function on the one model it's been tested on. At least, the protocol developer didn't bother saying what it does beyond "right or ABC button".

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
21 Nov 2015 07:00 #40266 by bmw111
This manual:
deviationtx.com/user-manual/user-manual-7e-10

I realize the Walkera/Devo don't list channel assignments, that info is easily obtained from a Rx or Walkera user materials.

I did read the "technical" reasons channel assignments aren't called out for some, but was hoping someone that had those models could provide them—and we could include them for consistency.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds