Is my Devo 10 Dead?

More
26 Nov 2015 10:52 #40401 by QC102
Is my Devo 10 Dead? was created by QC102
This Devo 10 came from a chinese online store - I found later - is renowned for sending out defective stuff.
part through a 450 frame build - CC3D = rx1002 - in OpenPilot at the point of setting min max - the motor jerk a bit - but none spin. That I assume is is an ESC problem.
But when I check out the configuration - TX - at the bottom of page a box shows the TX and RX leds . RX 4 green 1 yellow - which as quad and TX are a foot apart seems low! Worse.. the TX shows only 1 green bar! Which going back to my CB days - seems to show virtually no transmission signal.
Looking for ideas and suggestion apart from buy another radio! Does anybody in Australia repair these??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2015 05:29 #40456 by QC102
Replied by QC102 on topic Is my Devo 10 Dead?
Some recent developments.
A while back I searched for templates - I wanted one for a X quad 450 frame. I found T Rex 450. Now, being new to everything except the planet.... I knew then less than I found today...its an helicopter! BUT , the strange ( to me) thing is that it would auto bind with my RX1002 - I thought I had faulty ESCs when running it through OpenPilot.
The motors were jerking back and fore! I did a search and found it was an Heli - no servos.. which is why the motors were jerking.
I cleared the Devo 10 of its files and installed the latest night build. Started from scratch. The manual I downloaded is for the original Devo software. the fixed ID bits are not ( that I have found) in the set up menu's.
I followed a few How To's vids on YT - still othing I cannot get it to bind with a RX1002 or RX601. Each attempt that filed a few times.. I moved to a new model and started again!
The only reason its not at the bottom of the garden - is that did bind with an Heli model !!
based on the fact that there is nothing new on the planet - except the contents of a maternity ward - somebody must have gone through teh same issues and sorted it.... if YOU are out there... can you help with some hints, tips and advice.
Other than that - any offers towards getting me a new Taranis and it can be yours.... because I cannot get it to do anything except stare back at me mockingly..

More
28 Nov 2015 14:11 #40464 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Is my Devo 10 Dead?
I'm sure you've gone through this but please take each step below and let me know the outcome. Please note any steps that fail.

1. In the Devo10 make sure you've calibrated your sticks using the Transmitter setup, Transmitter Config, Calibrate sticks screen
2. Prior to working the RX1002, set up the Devo for a basic 4-channel model. I suggest using the 4-channel template, which you can get in the Model Setup, Load screen, and use the arrows to choose the template "Simple 4-Channel". If this isn't working for you, it's not really important, but basically we're looking for a model with an ini file that uses four channels without any modifications. The CC3D will do all the work while you're flying, you just need a model that sends Elevator (Pitch), Aileron (Roll), Throttle and Rudder (Yaw). You can do the fancy stuff like setting flight modes and such once the TX, RX and CC3D are talking.
3. In the Devo Model Setup, select the Devo protocol, 8 channels (the defaults) and 10mW output power. We can change these once things are working.
4. Clear out the FixedID numbers (they default to 123456). You can change this to your own number AFTER the bind is working.
5. Power off the Devo 10 TX. This is necessary for the bind to work.
6. Place the bind plug in the Batt terminal of the Rx1002
7. Apply power to the RX1002 and wait until it blinks red slowly. This clears the FixedID in the RX.
8. Remove the bind plug but leave the RX1002 powered on.

9. Power on the Devo10. Navigate to the model setup screen.
10. Press the BIND button on the Devo10 screen. The devo will take about 10-12 seconds to communicate with the RX. At the end of the cycle the RX should show a red solid light indicating the bind was successful.
11. If you wish to add a fixed ID, you can make that change NOW. If you change it before you bind the bind will fail. Once the TX and RX have been bound you can make this change any time they are connected.
12. Power off the RX
13. Power off the TX.

14. You should now be able to power on the TX, then power on the RX. After a few seconds the RX should show a solid red bind light.

If the R1002 and the CC3D are properly connected, you should now be able to setup and calibrate your receiver hardware and inputs.

Let us know how this goes.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
03 Dec 2015 21:00 - 03 Dec 2015 21:04 #40579 by QC102
Thanks for your very helpful reply. I have done as you advised above ...the Tx seems to bind with thevrx1002 now...in that the red light is not "blinking" and steady red. But...running through OpenPilot online...when it comes to setting the start point for the motors....even taking the slider to full....the motors dont start. in the Tx setup ....the Devo does not work with the stick movements on screen...on screen stick do their movements..I move the Devo stick.....nothing happens.
At one point ... I forget which test....the motors don't spin but jerk a 1/4 turn. I may be on the wrong track...but I am using model 2 in Heli mode. I just wondered if it's not seeing a X quad and the motors jerks are in fact typical of a single servo move. I did wonder if the ESCs I used...from Bangood and I found on rcgroups that they are not 30a but copies of a Hobbyking 12 or 18a esc....and they are somehow not working g as they should. I have just received some ZTW 30a Opto small ESCs and will be fitting the. Over the weekend. Other than that, I am clueless.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2015 21:04 by QC102. Reason: Typos

More
03 Dec 2015 22:07 #40582 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Is my Devo 10 Dead?
I don't have a specific ini file so I hope someone else can chime in. But these quads just need four clean channels, throttle, pitch, roll and yaw. These are simple channels without expo or curves. Yu may need one channel for the flight controller mode setting, with the right values to match the mode desired (stable, acro, maybe RTH, etc). But for calibration the basic 4-channel template will give you what you need.

It really sounds to me like you've got a calibration problem now. Is there a setup wizard in the GCS for the CC3D that might let you calibrate the sticks and ESC?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
04 Dec 2015 03:02 #40583 by QC102
I think my "issues" are down to the ESCs from BangGood. Been busy this past week or so... but hope to re-assemble the frame with DJI 2213 920KV motors, ZTW 30a Opto small ESCs and the CC3D if that has issues... I also have a KK2.1.5 board just arrived - which apart from anything else... seems to allow a TX /RX check.
I have spent a few hours re-installing the original Walkera software - just to go through it. And also check if I could get the TX -RX bind - which I did. So I am going to put Deviation 4.1 back on for the rebuild and also try a RX601. Its Friday PM here and we will have family up from Sydney for the weekend...so it looks like Monday before i can start again...
Will get back and keep you advised. Thanks again for all help and advice - much appreciated.

More
04 Dec 2015 08:56 #40587 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Is my Devo 10 Dead?

QC102 wrote: I am using model 2 in Heli mode

You shouldn't be using Heli mode. Unless you've reset it, it's trying to do swash mixing, which you don't need for most quads, and I wouldn't be surprised if OpenPilot didn't support those that did. You can set the swash type correctly for things to work, but you can also set it so thing will be completely broken, so best avoid it.

If you're running the nightly build, you can use multirotor mode. If you're running 4.0.1, use the airplane mode. I'm not sure if the template Deal57 recommended will take care of this for you or not.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Dec 2015 21:25 #40596 by QC102
I have re-installed Deviation 4.0.1 and recalled reading somewhere about not using heli because of the swash stuff... but I could not find it again for more info.
I will update to the latest night build later and check it out. Apart from not knowing if teh Devo 10 is OK - got it off EverBuying.net - from a refund for a Syma X8W that was dangerously defective and no matter what mode or stick movement - would shoot off in any direction. It appears to bind with a RX1002 and RX601.
As you will have read - in OpenPilot setups... it does not respond.

Thanks for the info on model to use. I am replacing the cheapo ESCs with ZTW 30a OneShot 125 SimonK - which I blamed for the issues.
Hope to have the kit back together next week and will get back to advise the results.

More
06 Dec 2015 06:28 #40618 by QC102
Lazarus - my newly named Devod. 10 - is, I can confirm...NOT dead I 95% finished the quadopter 450 DJi cloned frame.
I had issues with some ESCs from BangGood which probably need re-flashing again or going out with the rubbish. New ZTW SPider ESCs, a uBec and with fingers crossed set up the KK2.1.5 flight Control and hoped the Devo would kick in. And it did. Why I struggled to get to bind with a RX1002 I dont know - other than I have turned off the fixed ID for now and it auto bind like a dream ( to me!)
Just need to tune in the KK2.1.5 and trim the Devo and hopefully all will be OK.
Thanks to all who helped in the and my other posts - collectively you saved me around au$350 - because I was on the point of slinging the Devo into the trash and buying a Taranis. :unsure:

Time to create page: 0.077 seconds