NiMH charging

More
10 Feb 2016 15:51 #42951 by Toownky
NiMH charging was created by Toownky
This might be a stupid question, but I have read lots of stuff about "in transmitter" battery charging and still do not understand.
I use a 8 cells pack of eneloop NiMh batteries to power my Devo10. Right now I charge them using my Imax B6A (not the best choice, but it all I've got).
Two problems :
- the JST connector of the Devo is quite weak and I would rather charge "in place" than plug/unplug the pack every time.
- I cannot charge Lipos during this time (this loooooog time, as I charge at C/10)

Question is : should I use a power supply or a wall charger to connect to the Devo ?
In other word, does the Devo have an internal charge circuitry ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2016 16:26 - 10 Feb 2016 16:26 #42953 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic NiMH charging
Yes, use 12V power supply to Devo 10 "CHG" socket.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 16:26 by vlad_vy.

More
11 Feb 2016 03:01 #42976 by Artus
Replied by Artus on topic NiMH charging
It's only my opinion, but I never charge any battery inside. I do this one time and the battery was to hot and ruined my model car.

I use also eneloops in my DEVO and I know about the week connection but I don't unplug the pack. I take out every battery and charge in a spearete charger.

For charing I use a UCT 100 6.

My eneloos are around 5 years old and I don't trust them for charching in an TX

DEVO10 4in1 V5.0 DEVO F12E 4in1 V5
Align TREX 100 (3) Hubsan Q4
Walkera QRW100S Walkera QRX 350 Pro (FPV)
Walkera QRX 350 PREMIUM
DIY 100 mm Micro QUAD - HGLRCF4F5PRO with INAV

More
11 Feb 2016 06:05 - 11 Feb 2016 06:07 #42983 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic NiMH charging
I use internal charging NiMh battery (Devo 8s, 12V power supply) from 2012. My eneloops are as new.

Do not use a charger for internal charging, but 12V power supply.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2016 06:07 by vlad_vy.

More
11 Feb 2016 07:07 #42990 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic NiMH charging
I also internally charge my 10 and 6s - and my 7E before I sold it. Just use a wall wart.

The internal charger was designed for this kind of charging, and should be safe so long as the wall wart provides an appropriate voltage and enough amperage. It's also a lot safer than recharging LiPo's, as NiMh batteries are a lot less obnoxious in their behavior when abused. If I were using a Tx pack of some kind, I'd recharge on my 4-button charger and always take it out. But charging without having to open the transmitter is to convenient. I also use an "auto wart" (plugs into cig lighter in the car, provides appropriate voltage/amperage) for recharging them at the pond, as I tend to run down the Tx's more often than Rx packs.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
12 Feb 2016 11:40 #43031 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic NiMH charging
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...devo-10-wall-charger

How fast is the internal Devo 10 charger charging the internal Nimh pack? 50mA?
Looks like it is not going for 200mA (Spektrum DX8) or 400mA (newer Spektrum transmitters)?

There is a label on the outside which says 50mA (0,05A) when you plug in a power supply.

I also use a 3s 1300mah lipo pack mounted to the back. Like described on walkera-fans.de.

Probably it is best to have a 2nd plug soldered on the internal nimh 8 cell pack so you can open the battery door and plug your charger into?!? Well, there is not that much space...

Thomas

More
12 Feb 2016 13:46 #43034 by mario123
Replied by mario123 on topic NiMH charging
Hello,
so do you need to limit the current external or do you just take a power supply which supplies 12 V and 5A. Plug it in and the charging circuit will only take 50 mA?
I'm asking this because I'm using my Devo 10 often for simulation and I'd like to recharge while flying in the simulator. Or would it be possible to put another connector at the back and supply the power directly to the transmitter without a battery? Anyone tried this?

Mario

More
13 Feb 2016 00:04 #43068 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic NiMH charging
Yes, the 10 draws 50mA, so any wall wart that supplies at least that will work, and it will only draw the 50mA. That's why charging batteries in place with the internal charger is safe while using an external charger with some higher current draw might not be.

You can use the Tx while it's plugged in. Never tried it without the battery in place, as not having to deal with the battery door is my main reason for using the internal charger. Other than weight, it's not clear why you would want to do that.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Feb 2016 08:17 #43081 by mario123
Replied by mario123 on topic NiMH charging
Thank you for your answer!
I've tried it already and measured the current. If it's turned off it draws about 20 mA, but my rechargeable batteries were pretty full. If it's turned on it draws about 130-210 mA. But this is changing. If your tx starts to vibrate it goes to the high value.
Another test I did is, will the tx work without batteries it did. Then it drew about 20 mA less than with batteries.

More
13 Feb 2016 13:32 - 27 Oct 2016 21:10 #43091 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic NiMH charging
The good thing with 2+ external 3s 1300mah lipos is that you can look for 2-3C charge rates.
At least you can load your lipos >50/200/400mA.

You can turn the Devo10 on - use it (SIM) / fly with it - and plug the lipo parallel into the charger port so it does not drain the nimh too much.

This is my 50mA internal charger workaround which would take endlessly compared to ~12 hours Spektrum DX8 (200mah).
Last edit: 27 Oct 2016 21:10 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
15 Feb 2016 16:27 #43160 by Toownky
Replied by Toownky on topic NiMH charging
Thanks for the answers !
I found a 12V 1.5A power supply with the proper polarity in my scrap box. It does the job :)
Just wanted to be sure because I already killed a radio a few years ago using a power supply instead of a charger.

More
18 Feb 2016 02:31 #43224 by aperseghin
Replied by aperseghin on topic NiMH charging
Just an FYI, I charge mine with a 9v wall wart and it charges just fine.

More
27 Sep 2016 08:06 #54321 by DivenParker
Replied by DivenParker on topic NiMH charging
You can change a Charger.

More
27 Oct 2016 14:46 #55444 by sansjunk
Replied by sansjunk on topic NiMH charging
I recently bought a Devo 7E and I am loving it except one thing!
I use it with Eneloops but it's a real pain to remove the batteries to charge them. I plan to use a wall wart to charge in-place but there seems to be no charge indicator even when the TX is on. I guess deviation has no control or sensor on the charge circuit to know when the charging is complete. Is there a HW mod that can introduce a simple LED to indicate the charging status? I looked and couldn't find one.

More
06 May 2017 22:55 #62075 by teoplays
Replied by teoplays on topic NiMH charging
Hello. I have 4 Ni MH 1900 mAh batteries for my devo 7e deviated.
I charge with power supply 9v 1A max.

How long does it take to charge the battery?
Is it better to keep Devo off?

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds