simple questions i cant find answers for, help.

More
02 Mar 2016 21:47 - 02 Mar 2016 21:49 #43996 by Blower
hi all i am new to rc quad and devo and deviation, i have managed to upgrade my 7e with the nrf module, flash it and can fly the various quads i have purchased but i am struggling to find answers to the following questions:
1) what buttons on my 7e are the virtual buttons, i know that they are trim buttons and ext button ect but which number is what channel? ie whats virtual channel number 6?
2) how do i find out which channels control what on my quads? lights flips rates
3) what setting do i use for switches ie 1 to 1 , expo 0, absval just for turning things like lights on or off
4) different rates, are these part of the protocol or do i have to assign them myself to switches
these are all probably simple things and are answered clearly somewhere but i cant find it, i dont want to spend all my flying time stumbling around looking for answers.
by the way i am extremely impressed with the improved flying abilities of all my quad using this software :)
Last edit: 02 Mar 2016 21:49 by Blower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2016 22:52 #43998 by Deal57
Deviation is pretty easy to get started, and you obviously have enough experience and skills to understand the basics. The learning curve can begin to get steep, but take things one step at a time and you'll find this makes sense. I have literally hundreds of model.ini files that I've tested, disassembled, used in the emulator and even flown to get my head wrapped around the function I wanted.
1. Virtual channels are not just buttons. Like any channel in deviation you can assign it to a variety of functions, either as a button, a switch, a timer, whatever. The tutorials section of the forum lists a couple of really good tutorials on how to use virtual channels. Nearly every one of my models uses virtual channels.
2. The online User Manuals in the column to the left of your browser screen contain generally up to date information regarding channel assignments and options for each protocol.
3. I think the manual explains this pretty well, too. Further, in the model configs section of the forum are examples of model.ini files for many different builds, so you can compare how different settings are used in different models.
4. Rates are independent of switches, protocols or whatever. In most of my little quads I have a slow rate (for when the kids want to "try it"), a medium rate for when I haven't flown in a while or want a relaxing circuit, and fast for when I want to show off. My model.ini files use the same switches and conventions as much as possible. But again, you can start with a model.ini for your device and work through the options.

As someone coming in with little RC experience a few years ago, Deviation was surprisingly easy for me to pick up and fly. Getting my head around sticky throttle hold, flight controller modes and lights, well, that took some time. It was and is worth it. From what I hear, any programmable transmitter will demand the same or more.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
03 Mar 2016 18:51 #44035 by Blower
Thanks deal57, thats a bit clearer but getting back to the virtual channels i know they can ba assigned a multitude of functions but when i am allocation a function to that channel how do i know what controls it for example if i allocate flip mode to virtual channel 7 what do i push to activate / use flip mode, which button is it? i know the buttons are rudder trims,aileron trims ect but which one is what channel number? or am i not understanding it?
cheers
Barry

More
03 Mar 2016 23:52 #44047 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic simple questions i cant find answers for, help.
Virtual Channels are like a "working space", they behave just like a "real" channel but they don't get transmitted! You have to incorporate the result of the virtual channel into a real channel (via mixing) to get it out to your quad.
Just like a real channel, you determine what switches/buttons/sticks/etc are associated with what in the channel. If you decide that FMOD1 should give flip mode, then set it up that way. There is no preset link between any of the physical inputs and any of the channels, it's you that decides what should go where and how everything interacts. So if possible, find a pre-made model config to get you going, then eventually look at it's guts and figure out what does what.

More
04 Mar 2016 00:59 #44050 by mwm
A fine point on rates: Used to be, those were always set in your transmitter. You get that effect with a D/R mix type, keep the second and third mixers linked, and just change the scale to the rate you want. On at least some of the newer low-end RTF quads, the rates are controlled by the flight controller. I believe this is so they use can a cheap gimbal with low resolution, and still get reasonable resolution at low rates. However, I won't swear to that, or that some high-end flight controllers don't also do that.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Mar 2016 08:42 #44083 by Blower
mwm, yes i think on the cx10 the rates seem to be built in because i can control those with my hold switch.

what i am trying to get to the bottom of is this, I have a quad i have set the 2 switches to perform certain functions but i need another switch or button to perform another one, i have used both my switches so i want to allocate the function to something like the exit button or rudder left, when i go into the channel for that function lets say channel number 8 for light on or off, i get to the box where i select source you scroll through the first 4 then you get to the switches hold 0 1 and fmode 0 1, what do i select in this box to tell the controller that its the exit or rudder left trim that i want to control that channel, maybe when i was asking about virtual channels that was the incorrect term.

More
04 Mar 2016 11:49 #44092 by mwm
Well, the hold switch can also change the transmitter rates. That's the power of deviation - pretty much anything can control anything. You can usually tell which rate you have by what the switch does in the mixer. If the mix type is DR/EXPO and it enables a lower rate, then it's in the Tx (or doing similar in a complex mix), then it's in the Tx. If the switch just toggles an output channel from -100 to 100 or similar, then it's in the quad.

To use a button - whether trim or one of the UI buttons like ENT - you have to set up a virtual switch. Details are in the last chapter of the manual.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds