first timer using hobby grade tx

More
13 Mar 2016 14:55 #44506 by Jj30
first timer using hobby grade tx was created by Jj30
Hey - so I finally upgraded and got a modded devo7e - instead of always using the stock
Tx's - so with that said I'm pretty clueless how to program stuff - I'm even confused how to turn the LEDs on/off on hubsan - I have researched everywhere online for some kind of step by step tutorial - starting with the first steps and can't find anything like that
I don't know how I'm suppose to learn - so if anyone has any links or any suggestions please send me- I know that you go to mixers - that's about it
And another thing I'm confused is do I have to go in the files in the USB drive and switch anything around or is all on the TX - I have the latest version of nightly builds FYI
So yea I'm just really confused because I never used a "real" tx before so if anyone can send me in the right direction - I would be forever grateful. Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2016 15:17 #44507 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic first timer using hobby grade tx
You started in the right place. There are a number of great tutorials to read, and start with mwm's excellent tutorial at deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/3948-tutori...-a-model-config-file .

You also need to read the manual... Use the links on the left-side menu.

There is a learning curve to a programmable TX, and it is worth the time you must spend reading and studying.

You can download a model.ini file for the Hubsan... Use the search function on the top menu. Look at the forum message which should mention if the lights or other features are programmed into that file. My Hubsan file uses the modified switches on my Devo7e; if you don't have the switches (yet!) you should look for a model.ini that doesn't need them. Ask questions!

So welcome aboard, and happy flying!

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
13 Mar 2016 16:37 #44508 by Jj30
Replied by Jj30 on topic first timer using hobby grade tx
Awesome. Thank you so much for ur help - I truly appreciate it
Ya got me in the right direction Thank again for taking the time to respond
This forum seems like a great community - happy to be aboard !

My bad - I just noticed it said dont ask questions in the tutorial forum - sorry all

More
13 Mar 2016 17:19 #44511 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic first timer using hobby grade tx
You can do most of the programming on the Tx directly. Some people prefer mounting the USB drive and editing them directly, since having a keyboard and real editor is a lot quicker than trying to use 6 buttons and a small LCD screen. On the other hand, if you use the Tx you don't have to know the file format and legal values and how the value on the Tx is different from the value in the model.ini file. You do need to be able to read .ini files, though - that's generally how we talk about programming in a textual environment.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Mar 2016 21:31 #44522 by Jj30
I read it all twice and still feeling very confused - I guess because I really have no experince
Programming tx I use the easy stock ones lol
So I guess where I'm stuck is I know ch 5 is the LEDs but I don't understand how to let the tx know that's what I want - it's not like u just click on LEDs on -off ch 5. So I know I go to ch 5 on the tx I just don't understand what it is I actually switch it to - follow me ? Lol i know prob not I'm confusing myself
Like I said I'm king of the noobs here - 3 hours and still can't turn on the LEDs :S :silly: :blink: :side: I do Appreciate ur help and I did learn some stuff by reading all that

More
13 Mar 2016 22:02 #44524 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic first timer using hobby grade tx
Well, if you're using the standard GUI, you're pretty much out of luck. it's really meant for pre-FC CP helicopters, and doesn't have features that you need for dealing with modern flight controllers.

In the advanced gui, you go to the mixer, pick the channel you want to control, and the set that channel up. For a simple switch like this, I'd use a simple mixer, set the curve to Min/Max, and the source to a switch of your choosing. That should do it - the switch you picked should toggle the LED. Use the channel monitor to check that it's showing the output changing on channel five as the first step if you're having problems.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
14 Mar 2016 00:09 #44531 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic first timer using hobby grade tx
In Deviation the standard output range for all channels is from -100 to +100; if you were to set up say the rudder with a 1-to-1 output to the channel, a servo connected to the receiver would theoretically be centred when the stick is released (spring), and go to it's "extreme" rotation either way dwhen you move the stick all the way. It's a bit more complicated as you can actually sometimes go past this point, but we won't go there.
Anyway. So the range is -100 to +100. "Typically", anything receiving that has a "switch" functionality (LEDs, landing gear, flaps...) wants to just see the extremes of this range; -100 for "off", +100 for "on". Usually there's wiggle room as not all tx/rx are created equal. Also note that the receiver doesn't actually spit out -100 to +100, it uses it's own standard, typically varying the duty cycle of a PWM pulse... but forget about that for the moment. So, you set up a switch in a mixer on channel 5, so in it's "off" position it spits out -100, in it's "on" position it spits out +100; or, Min/Max, the minimum and maximum values set for the channel. The same as what our above Rudder scenario would give if you gave full stick left/right.

Everything gets complicated nowadays in many craft as a lot of the work/settings are actually done on the receiver end rather than the transmitter end. Problem is you have to know what your craft wants in order to feed it.

Here ya go, try this article out; haven't had time to review it, but flitetest should probably have some good explanations of the basics hidden away somewhere
flitetest - beginner series - transmitters

More
16 Mar 2016 18:39 #44658 by Jj30
Hey guys , and yes using the advanced gui - now it's starting to make sense
Finally!! ok I'm starting to get it - I really appreciate your help MWM and Rogue_Streak -u helped me tremendously , can't thank you enough - ur good people :)

More
16 Mar 2016 18:57 #44661 by Jj30
I got the LEDS to toggle on/off ! i know it's not much -but for me it's big lol
Thanks again buds

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds