How to set-up a Devo 7E

More
27 Mar 2016 11:01 #45256 by roineust
How to set-up a Devo 7E was created by roineust
Hello!
I got right out of the box a new Devention Devo 7E.
As well, i have an Orange RX DSM2 receiver and a servo and a battery.
I would like to learn how to bind them together - but i am having trouble understanding what i should do on the Devo side.
In most Devo video tutorials, the menu looks differently than the one i have, as well as they seem to have a 'model setup' inside the menu and i don't have that menu choice.
Am i supposed to install some kind of firmware on the Devo, when i take it out of the box? what kind of firmware?
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2016 11:05 - 27 Mar 2016 11:06 #45257 by Sero
Replied by Sero on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
Have a look at the links on the left side here, and check out the manual for your remote, everything you ask is in there.

A day without flying can't be called a day.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 11:06 by Sero.

More
27 Mar 2016 11:45 #45262 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
New, out of the box, you mean, like using the stock Walkera firmware? If that's the case the screens will be different, and you would need to install the Deviation firmware to use DSM2. Please review the manual links to the left as well as the FAQ to get started. You will also find some good material in the Tutorials section of the forum.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
27 Mar 2016 12:41 - 27 Mar 2016 12:42 #45264 by roineust
Replied by roineust on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
Hey Deal57 and Sero,
OK - now i discovered how to update the firmware to deviation, and done it.
But still - unable to bind...

I'v gone through all the steps in this tutorial:

But yet, the Orange RX receiver flashing light won't stop blinking and i can't make the servo move..

Any ideas what could go wrong?

Thanks!
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 12:42 by roineust.

More
27 Mar 2016 13:33 #45265 by Deal57
The servos won't move until the bind works. So step by step:

1. When you set up the Devo TX did you calibrate the sticks?

2. do you have the model set up with DSM2 protocol and six channels? If the protocol name has a star it is not loaded right. If everything else looks good, I suggest changing the FixedID to some unique number; sometimes you need to clear it altogether and set it again after bind.

3. Put the bind plug in place and apply power to the RX. Does the light blink slowly?

4. On the Devo, press the bind button. Does the RX light change? If not, try moving the RX antenna a foot or so away; if that doesn't make the light change pattern try closer.

5. If the light doesn't change at all, do you have another receiver to try? we need to see if it will bind to another RX. If it does, then the OrangeRX should be suspect (setup, power, antenna, etc). If the Devo won't bind to another RX, the Devo would be the suspect.

Let us know what you find.

More
27 Mar 2016 16:17 - 27 Mar 2016 16:27 #45273 by roineust
Hey Deal57,
Regarding bullet no.1: I don't remember if i have calibrated the sticks when taking the TX out of the box. Anyway, after changing the firmware to Deviation, i can't find any stick calibration option on the menu. How does all this stick calibration issue affect the binding process?
Besides that:
Bullet no.2: Yes, i have the model set up with DSM2 protocol and six channels. No star appears beside the protocol name. Have changed the fixed ID to another random number. To no avail.
Bullet no.3: None of the light on the Orange RX blink slowly, only fast.
Bullet no.4: None of the light on the Orange RX blink slowly, only fast, no matter what distance from TX.
Bullet no.5: I'v tried that with 2 Orange RX receivers and with 2 DT receivers (which do blink slowly for several seconds when bind plug is in - but then always return to fast blink, no matter what i do). Here is a link to the DT receivers page: deltang.co.uk/dt-rx-v26.pdf

Still, maybe all of the receivers i have, are out of order? I did play with connecting them to LiPo 3S long ago and maybe have pushed the limit to 12.6V by mistake or connected in reverse polarity (but still, from their reactions now, it doesn't make sense to me that all of them are fried..)

Thanks.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 16:27 by roineust.

More
27 Mar 2016 17:07 #45274 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
After Deal57's 4th step, move the ail/ele stick. Then unplug the bind plug, power off the receiver, then power off the tx. Moving the stick was the part I was missing until I read the manual, where it is mentioned in the DSM2 Protocol section. After doing that my DSM2 receiver works great!

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?

More
27 Mar 2016 17:08 - 27 Mar 2016 17:10 #45275 by Deal57
I think you should get those sticks calibrated. That can affect binding, I think, but in any case you do not want to fly with the defaults. On the menu to the left, User Manual for Devo 7e, chapter 8.

Good catch, Arnold!

Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 17:10 by Deal57.

More
27 Mar 2016 17:36 - 27 Mar 2016 17:40 #45278 by roineust
Nothing helps.
Tried all the advice mentioned. Read through the instructions. Could not find where stick calibration is mentioned.
Also found another RX, which has a light blinking for a second and then turns on constant, here it is - the 5th type of RX, which does not seem to work:
www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__1341...ellite_Receiver.html
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 17:40 by roineust.

More
27 Mar 2016 19:26 #45284 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
for stick calibration:
press ENT. click on "transmitter menu". Than click on "transmitter config".
On the bottom of that page click on "Calibrate"

Tom

More
27 Mar 2016 19:26 #45285 by Deal57
You have found a missing piece... Stick calibration is NOT in the manual in chapter 8. We'll fix that! Basically, hit ENT to get the menu, Transmitter menu, and under Generic settings use DN- to get to Calibrate. Press ENT and follow instructions on screen.

So did you put 12v onto the 5v rail of all of these receivers? Have you used them with any other transmitter since?

More
27 Mar 2016 19:34 - 27 Mar 2016 19:35 #45287 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
Directly from DEVO7e/10 user manual:

7. Main Menu

The main menu selections of the Deviation firmware are accessed by momentarily pressing the ENT button on the bottom right of the transmitter. The main menu consists of the following four options: Model menu, Transmitter menu, USB and About Deviation.

All settings which pertain to the usage of your Devention transmitter are accessed from the main menu. They include model options, language selection, display options, buzzer, vibration, stick mode, calibration , USB connectivity as well as version information.

Select calibration, and follow the on-screen prompts.

hint: set the throttle stick at the middle of its stroke before starting the calibration sequence, start calibration, then move sticks in only one axis at a time to both end points without pushing on them too hard, just enough pressure until you feel them hit the end of their travel.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 19:35 by RedSleds.

More
27 Mar 2016 19:42 #45288 by Sero
Replied by Sero on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
If you really plugged a 3s battery into your receiver, than it's highly possible, that it has kicked the bucket...

A day without flying can't be called a day.

More
27 Mar 2016 19:46 #45290 by Deal57
@RedSleds:, That's in the PDF version, but not in the online version. The online version breaks up chapter 7 so these details should go in chapter 8. That particular detail just seems to be missing, unless maybe the box for 8.1.2 is over it... Can't tell on my iPad.

Anyway, it has surfaced now.

More
27 Mar 2016 20:04 - 27 Mar 2016 20:22 #45292 by RedSleds

Deal57 wrote: @RedSleds:, That's in the PDF version, but not in the online version. The online version breaks up chapter 7 so these details should go in chapter 8. That particular detail just seems to be missing, unless maybe the box for 8.1.2 is over it... Can't tell on my iPad.

Anyway, it has surfaced now.

It was straight from the on-line version, ....and it is still there "Section 7. Main Menu"

.....and, yes, it should be described in Section 8 under generic settings, but at this time, it is not.

Perhaps it is not because, the heading on the LCD screen of "Sticks [Calibrate]" is kind of self explanatory, and once calibrate is pressed, there are on-screen prompts that tell the user what to do. But, I agree that some details about it in the manual would be nice.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 20:22 by RedSleds.

More
27 Mar 2016 20:19 - 27 Mar 2016 20:20 #45294 by roineust
Thanks people, but the main problem is yet to be solved - Can't bind to none of my 5 DSM2 RX's.
I find it hard to believe that i ever fried them, maybe at most only one of them. They are all blinking and alive - they just won't blink slower or stop blinking.
What could i be doing wrong?
Should i start looking at reset or re-upload firmware procedures?
This is so strange to me - although it is my first ever attempt to bind any kind o 2.4Ghz DSM2 RX and TX.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2016 20:20 by roineust.

More
27 Mar 2016 20:28 #45296 by RedSleds
So, have you calibrated the sticks, or not?

More
27 Mar 2016 21:26 #45298 by roineust
Sorry for not saying that clearly - yes i calibrated the sticks and then tried again to connect to the RX's, but they won't bind.

More
27 Mar 2016 22:04 #45300 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic How to set-up a Devo 7E
You guys talking about the manual sections - note that they are different between the two online versions of the manual! The 7E/10 manual has the main menu in section 7 and the transmitter menu in section 8.

However, it does appear to be missing. The text is in the source, but has been missing from the output for a while now. I'm looking into it now.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Mar 2016 22:44 #45303 by roineust
Should i try uploading an older firmware? The one i'v loaded is the latest...might that be the cause of the binding problem?

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds