F12E/F7 video support

More
07 Apr 2016 20:55 #46067 by mwm
F12E/F7 video support was created by mwm
Can those of you using deviation on the F-series transmitters let us know what video transmitters you are using with them? Do any of the cheap "video drones" work with them? I'm thinking about one, but the price seems a bit steep if I can only use it with the Walkera transmitters.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2016 23:21 #46079 by Artus
Replied by Artus on topic F12E/F7 video support
No my Hubsan X107D also is able to transmit the video signal to the F12E.

DEVO10 4in1 V5.0 DEVO F12E 4in1 V5
Align TREX 100 (3) Hubsan Q4
Walkera QRW100S Walkera QRX 350 Pro (FPV)
Walkera QRX 350 PREMIUM
DIY 100 mm Micro QUAD - HGLRCF4F5PRO with INAV

More
08 Apr 2016 01:28 - 08 Apr 2016 01:29 #46086 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic F12E/F7 video support
I know it isn't what you asked, but I really recommend the F12e. The F4/F7 has a pretty lousy Video driver, fewer selectable video channels (less compatibility), and the same CPU as the 7e (very limited). the F12e is really only limited by its tiny SPI memory which would be easy to replace. It is obviously a lot more expensive, and it is a lot bigger and heavier, but I think it is ALMOST a perfect all around transmitter. My main gripes are that they could have used a better LCD driver for the screen, and the bigger SPI flash. Also be aware that while as of now all 3 are supported by Deviation, the ports are still very crude, and there remains quite a bit of GUI work to do.

If I had to choose, I would keep only my F12e and my 7e-ultimate and would get rid of all the others (and I own nearly all of Walkera's Devo series (I think I'm only missing an F4, 6S and F12)). If I could only have one, it would probably be the F12E.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2016 01:29 by PhracturedBlue.

More
08 Apr 2016 05:24 #46095 by Artus
Replied by Artus on topic F12E/F7 video support
Yes PhractureBlue - with a graphic output on the screen it will be perfect. And inside very clear and a lot of space.

DEVO10 4in1 V5.0 DEVO F12E 4in1 V5
Align TREX 100 (3) Hubsan Q4
Walkera QRW100S Walkera QRX 350 Pro (FPV)
Walkera QRX 350 PREMIUM
DIY 100 mm Micro QUAD - HGLRCF4F5PRO with INAV

More
08 Apr 2016 20:24 #46126 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic F12E/F7 video support
So if the video weren't a factor, what makes the F12E better than a 12S? I really want shoulder sliders instead of the AUX knobs on the 10, and those are the two front runners.

My second tx is the 6S instead of an upgraded 7E. Out of the box, the 6S about the same transmitter as the upgraded 7E, except with better gimbals and a color touch screen. And it's easier to upgrade beyond that point, since the PCB has through hole connections for TRIM_L, TRIM_R and either 2x2 or a 1x3 switch.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 Apr 2016 21:16 #46130 by PhracturedBlue
Having spent lots of time with the touch screen and the B&W screen, I prefer the high-contrast of the b&w screens. I find the touch screen to be really gimicky, and very rarely see a need for it. The F12E screen is easier to read than the 12S. The 12S is a bit better built (it has a very nice chassis), but I think the video outweighs the benefts of the 12S. I also like the button layout on the F12E, they are much more intuitive to use in my experience. The F12E is also a bit cheaper. Honestly, the 12S is also a really good transmitter, but I think the F12E is better overall. That said the 12S has a lot more SPIFlash which could be important to some. If you want a big transmitter they are both good choices, but you started by discussing video enabled options.

More
08 Apr 2016 22:11 #46135 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic F12E/F7 video support
SST25V of larger sizes recently became unavailable on DigiKey and Mouser. Do you think we can modify the driver to accommodate another similar but not exactly same flash ROM? Command set is slightly different for different providers, but the core commands are the same.

More
08 Apr 2016 23:12 #46141 by PhracturedBlue
probably. Do you have some candidates in mind? I think we need a minimum SPI frequency of ~20MHz and 4kB blocks (minimum erase size).

More
10 Apr 2016 06:50 #46247 by victzh
ISSI's IS25CQ032, datasheet www.issi.com/WW/pdf/25CQ032.pdf . It's 40mbit/s, 4KB blocks erase size, command set is very close to SST25V, well stocked at DigiKey and Arrow. Minimal changes or may be no changes to the driver (page erase does not require EWSR instruction and this can be harmless for this memory).

More
10 Apr 2016 06:51 #46248 by victzh
40MByte/s, 104MHz SPI.

More
10 Apr 2016 12:33 #46255 by PhracturedBlue
I don't see much problem. The big difference is the removal of AAI-Word-Programming, which is replaced by extending the AGE_PROG command. We cuold either fall back to single-byte write (like on the F7/F12e) or add some additional code to handle this.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds