XK X6 Transmitter Module

More
10 Apr 2016 20:42 #46292 by Zynix
XK X6 Transmitter Module was created by Zynix
Hey all,

Would like to fly XK (s-fhss) models with my Devo10 and have an extra rtf X6 transmitter with bad gimbals. Not sure if it's a CC2500 or not, but attached is a pic of the module. Connected via 6-pin header, the hot-glued gray wire runs up to the antenna from the module. Before I start taking it apart, is there an easy way to find out which pins are which using a multi-meter or something? I have no EE/RF knowledge, so reaching out for help to those smarter than me, haha.

Thanks,
Z

p.s. First post but have been lurking for a few months now. Huge props to the devs and community here, what you've accomplished is nothing short of amazing and greatly appreciated!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2016 22:38 #46298 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic XK X6 Transmitter Module
having seen pictures of another xk cc2500 moduke removed i think you will find the pin labels on the rear side of the module's pcb (iirc the pictures are on this forum somewhere)

More
11 Apr 2016 16:49 #46320 by Zynix
Replied by Zynix on topic XK X6 Transmitter Module
Thanks HappyHarry, your post encouraged me to press on.

Decided to pull it apart as much as I could without desoldering anything, and you were right! Found the pins labeled on the back of the main pcb haha. I'm assuming bottom pin is ground and that SI and SO are MOSI and MISO respectively, or would they be reversed on the main board?

Thanks again for the tip!
Attachments:

More
11 Apr 2016 20:30 #46325 by HappyHarry
to me it looks like from top to bottom will be vcc, mosi, clk, csn, miso, gnd. obviously from the other side will be the inverse of that. the thing that I notice though is no pins for pa enable or lna enable? it either doesn't have a pa + lna or they are permenantly enabled?

More
11 Apr 2016 21:09 - 11 Apr 2016 21:30 #46327 by Zynix
Awesome, thanks again man!

Not sure on the PA/LNA, I did notice the antenna is soldered to just 1 point, not sure if that info means anything though. Considering it's a cheap (but otherwise fairly nice) rtf tx I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have the amps on the module. I do have a real/recommended CC2500 coming with PA/LNA but it's on the slow boat, thought of this possibility after I ordered it and enjoy tinkering just as much as flying.

Pic attached of the back side of the module, looks to have some testing pads (I assume) labeled. The label right up against the header is illegible in the pic, but it's SCLK.

Making progress!

Edit: Oh and a word of advise to any other noobs that try this, there was a huge glob of glue holding the pin header to the board. Made it more difficult to get the module off with the header. I probably would have just desoldered the module and threw on another header if I'd known.
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Apr 2016 21:30 by Zynix.

More
14 Apr 2016 20:46 #46527 by Zynix
Final Conclusion on this project: couldn't get the xk module to work

Wired everything up and the tx wouldn't even power on. The CC2500 I ordered showed up, weeks before expected, wired it to the same connections and it's working perfect. Maybe I damaged the module during removal, anyway no real need to troubleshoot it.

Thanks again though Harry, your help was greatly appreciated.

-Z

More
14 Apr 2016 22:07 - 14 Apr 2016 22:08 #46528 by HappyHarry
that's not so good news as it may have been a nice cheap indoor module for people to pull from the stock transmitter to use with the k100/k120, x250, and the new x100 etc (if they use the correct protocol as iirc some of those models use the v2x2/nrf24l01 and not the cc2500/s-fhss, though as you say it may have been damage rather than non compatibility.

but at least your new cc2500 module is working well :D
Last edit: 14 Apr 2016 22:08 by HappyHarry.

More
14 Apr 2016 22:56 #46531 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic XK X6 Transmitter Module
XK X6 is $40-45. Not so cheap - buy BNF and use MUCH cheaper CC2500 module practically from anywhere. I bought X6 for you all :-)

More
15 Apr 2016 15:08 #46571 by Zynix

victzh wrote: XK X6 is $40-45. Not so cheap - buy BNF and use MUCH cheaper CC2500 module practically from anywhere. I bought X6 for you all :-)

Exactly right, thank you sir!

I picked up 2 k100 RTFs for us$50/ea. Pretty inexpensive if it had worked, but your solution is far better and less $.

-Z

More
09 May 2020 18:30 #76285 by Xavier43
Replied by Xavier43 on topic XK X6 Transmitter Module
Hi !
I have the same concern as you. I've been looking for an answer for a long time. How did you wire your CC2500 to your Devo?
Thank you in advance.

Time to create page: 0.041 seconds