Variometer

More
17 May 2016 14:47 #48592 by TB34
Variometer was created by TB34
Hello every body
I would like to have flight informations such as vertical speed and/or vario sounds that indicate if my glider is climbing or sinking. I love soaring......
Does anyone have an idea of what kind of variometer i can use, and tell me how to link it to my TX. I allready have a telemetry module (WK-CTL01-D with GPS) and I use a Devo 12S with deviationtx firmware. A tuto could be very welcome :) .
Thank you for your kind answers.
TB34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 16:06 #48597 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Variometer
Some links on the first post : www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1175267

One that is interesting, I'm looking at it : openxsensor.github.io/

Or the Frsky one : www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__4231...cision_Version_.html

It seems that you have a Walkera hub don't know if these will work with it.

More
17 May 2016 16:13 #48598 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Variometer
Both FrSky and DSM telemetry offer vario's but I'm just not sure about devo...

As for audible feedback I'm not sure deviationTX can handle that eother regardless of the protocol you're running, your best option will be in the voice alerts test build thread:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/builds/5089-voice-alerts-test-build

Does anyone elae here even use devo based telemetry anymore? I literally can't recall one single discussion on it that's happened since I've been around [you're the first person I've seen using it in a current thread, ever]...
Most people wanting telemetry either use FrSky equipment (with a CC2500 RF module added to their devo) or DSM (with the stock rf module). Either option will be better developed than devo, whatever the state of its vario function. I'm surprised their GPS system doesn't give you altitude data.

Anyway i feel your prpblems man, I just added barometers to the last few of my builds that didn't have them so I can have altitude reporting on everything I fly, I prefer to have the actual altitude spoken out than to just hear a tone. Very useful in all flying situations, not just gliding.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
18 May 2016 03:03 #48622 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Variometer
I use the devo based telemetry - but only on my older walkera helicopters. Since Walker turned into a drone company, I'm not sure any current models have telemetry data available. Everything new I build is using FrSky telemetry.

I haven't dealt with a variometer, so I'm not sure what kind of data you get. Assuming you have one that delivers rate-of-climb values - as opposed to simply altitude - then you can get different alerts for different climb rates using the current telemetry system. Maybe. Not all telemetry values are exposed on the alerts page. If it is, you need to use it in two different alerts, and have one go off when the Roc < 0, and another when it's > 0 (or choose values slightly below/above 0). In the file media/sound.ini are a bunch of sections with names like [alarm3]. That lists a series of tones to play when telemetry alarm 3 (or whatever number is used for that section) goes off. Details on what the notes are are in the manuals.

The voice alerts test build uses the same system, but lets you play back an audio file instead of just a sequence of notes. it's not very configurable at this point, as it was mostly meant to demonstrate that it could be done.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
18 May 2016 08:41 #48631 by Alexandro
Replied by Alexandro on topic Variometer
Hello,
you can use a Frsky High Prez. Vario.

There is an Volt out for climb and sink Rate, 3.3 Volt is 0. > 3.3 ist climb and < 3.3 is sinking.
This you can use with most Volt Telemetry. Define a Tone for sinking and an other Tone for climb.
The Alarms set to maybe 3.5 and 3.0 then you can define the no Tone Spot, climb Spot and sink Spot.

Or you use the FrskyX Protocol , there is a Vario and Alt Function available .Here you need an FrskyX RX, X8R with the Vario on Sbus.
And the last Option is to wait for the Frsky D8 Protocol , this we are debug now. There will be a Vario and Alt Funktion added .

greetings Alex

More
18 May 2016 08:57 #48632 by TB34
Replied by TB34 on topic Variometer
Hello every body,
Thank U very much for your answers.
I shall try with FrSky High prez vario.
Thierry

More
18 May 2016 17:15 - 18 May 2016 17:15 #48644 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Variometer

TB34 wrote: I shall try with FrSky High prez vario.

I think you're making the best choice! The FrSky varios are very cool gadgets, not only do they provide an exact altitude reading (AGL) via their serial output (to serial enabled compatible telemetry RX's) they also provide an analog climb/sink voltage output to feed an ADC on non-serial capable RX's. I'm sure you can get in functioning exactly as you want with just a little setup, regardless of what FrSky receiver you choose to use it with.

I believe they actually do more than that, but no reason to add more unnecessary [for your use] info to this thread to confuse you. Like I said, in my opinion, you're definitely making the right choice to go with FrSky.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Last edit: 18 May 2016 17:15 by Cereal_Killer.

More
18 May 2016 21:04 #48654 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Variometer
Frsky telemetry also has full range bidirectional, f.i. the orange dsmx telemetry etc, telemetry is less range than the control range.

More
19 Aug 2016 19:42 #52910 by Schugy
Replied by Schugy on topic Variometer
I've got an Unilog2 from SM Modellbau mainly as a wattmeter but it would be great to be able to use it as a variometer in a sail plane with Devo 8S telemetry.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds