"value" keyword

More
05 Jun 2016 09:15 #49938 by vmsda
"value" keyword was created by vmsda
What is this keyword used for and where (presumably in the Mixer section)? I do not see it documented in the manual.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2016 12:42 #49943 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic "value" keyword
Where do you see this? I assume you are looking at an .ini file. Can you share a snippit of it showing how it is used (I need context so I need to see up to the previous header (enclosed with []) at least

More
05 Jun 2016 16:45 #49960 by vmsda
Replied by vmsda on topic "value" keyword

PhracturedBlue wrote: Where do you see this? I assume you are looking at an .ini file. Can you share a snippit of it showing how it is used (I need context so I need to see up to the previous header (enclosed with []) at least

Saw it a couple of times in "Mired in RC" tutorial, always in TRIM sections, actually:

[trim5]
src=Virt5
pos=Exit
step=193
value=-100,0,0

More
05 Jun 2016 17:21 #49962 by PhracturedBlue
I'm not sure what manual you are looking at. The 'value' field has different meanings depending on what section it is in. In this case it is the current state of the trim (since it is persistent). There are 3 values because the trim can have different values based on switch position. This isn't normally something you would want to hack directly in the ini file.

More
05 Jun 2016 18:29 #49969 by vmsda

PhracturedBlue wrote: I'm not sure what manual you are looking at. The 'value' field has different meanings depending on what section it is in. In this case it is the current state of the trim (since it is persistent). There are 3 values because the trim can have different values based on switch position. This isn't normally something you would want to hack directly in the ini file.

I was looking at thr Devo 7E/10 User Manual.

One of the ways of becoming familiar with DeviationTx programming is to peruse ini files; coming across an undocumented parameter naturally raises perplexity.

The User Manual is a cross between a reference manual and a user guide. I am unable to judge its completeness as regards the former objective (hence the initial query), but it seems lacking in breadth and depth as regards the latter.

"Mired in RC" is an excellent example because it affords a practical glimpse into a type of programming so unlike the Assembler, Java or Pythons of this world, with which so many of us are imbued. It is not easy to make the mental transition from one mindset to another.

More
05 Jun 2016 18:35 #49970 by PhracturedBlue
Mired in RC is mwm's personal blog. I can't speak for what is there. The User manual is not meant to be a reference manual, it is only meant as a description of the user interface. We probably should fully document the ini APIs but it is a time-consuming task. Perhaps mwm's work should be migrated int the wiki. I can answer specific questions if you lhave them, but fully documenting the internals of Deviation is beyond the scope of what I can do.

More
05 Jun 2016 18:50 #49974 by vmsda

PhracturedBlue wrote: Mired in RC is mwm's personal blog. I can't speak for what is there. The User manual is not meant to be a reference manual, it is only meant as a description of the user interface. We probably should fully document the ini APIs but it is a time-consuming task. Perhaps mwm's work should be migrated int the wiki. I can answer specific questions if you lhave them, but fully documenting the internals of Deviation is beyond the scope of what I can do.

If the User Manual objective is the description of the User Interface, then a good description of each parameter in each applicable section is more than adequate for a beginner. Too much 'internal' documentation will not help him.
By all means, invest in the wiki because it will save a lot of questions.

More
09 Jun 2016 20:55 #50271 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic "value" keyword
I think you're confused about what "the interface" is. It's not the contents of the in file, but the set of things that you can reach via the transmitter interface, along with the recent addition of a few things in the .ini file that can't be gotten to that way. If we ever add those to the interface, those parts of the manual should change to show that.

I have no objection to those tutorials being moved to the blog, but don't have time to do it myself. If someone wants to do that, PM me and I'll proof the results afterwards.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds