issues with buttons randomly switching

More
29 Jun 2016 09:05 #51163 by NeX
hi there,

i have a Devo 10, and it is a great controller, but recently it has been randomly changing the trim and sometimes the menu buttons don't work or do a totally different function.

for example, the transmitter was sitting on the table and suddenly the rudder trim started beeping and shifted all the way to the right and i couldn't shift it back.

another time i was navigating the menu and the down button responded as if i was pressing the exit button.

these problems come and go, and sometimes (though i can't consistently reproduce) seem to be related to some of the toggle switches, like after changing a toggle switch the menu buttons lock up, but changing the toggle switch again frees them up.

has anyone had this problem and know of a fix?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jun 2016 10:51 #51164 by smfelton
Replied by smfelton on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
I don't know of a fix, but I've had this issue too. I initially thought it was bad soldering, but i've checked it all and it was fine.

Devo 7e
Blade Nano QX2 FPV
LS-124
CX-10A

More
29 Jun 2016 12:00 #51165 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
I've heard of this happening in 7e's with the switch mods when faulty or the wrong type of diode is used, but not in a 10 :/

what version of deviation are you using, does an earlier/later version show the same issues?

More
29 Jun 2016 13:07 #51169 by NeX
Replied by NeX on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
thanks for the replies guys, its good to know that its not just me,

i am using the latest version of Deviation (5.0.0)

can you tell me a bit more about this diode mod? maybe there is a design flaw in the button matrix in the 10 and maybe it has the wrong diodes or something?

its been annoying but not a big deal until a few days ago when the transmitter decided to change the trim while i was flying and i had to hold the sticks right over just to keep the quad still,

More
29 Jun 2016 13:49 - 29 Jun 2016 13:51 #51172 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
there should be no issues with the d10 regarding diodes, the issue with the 7e is we were adding switches and diodes that were not originally there, and the diodes were needed to prevent ghosting on the matrix so if they were faulty or didn't have a quick enough switching speed they showed these issues.

there was recently some big changes in the switch handling code so as to bring the at9 into the family but that code is only in the nightlies not 5.0.0, so is it 5.0.0 you are using?, or is it a nightly?, which are marked with a 6 digit hex code ie: 5.0.0-af66e9
Last edit: 29 Jun 2016 13:51 by HappyHarry.

More
29 Jun 2016 14:07 #51173 by NeX
thanks for the reply,

in searching for this problem i did see a lot of people mentioning the 7e and not the 10, but there must be something in common as it seems to be exactly what the 7e people are getting but its on my 10.

i am definitely using the 5.0.0 build and not a nightly.

does anyone know of any schematics for the Devo 10? just so i can get an idea of how the button matrix works. maybe something is shorting out.

just to update the problem a little, i booted up with the mix switch in the middle and i was having the button issues, then i switched the mix switch and the problem went away, and when i switched the mix switch back to the center the problem was still gone.

More
29 Jun 2016 16:49 #51177 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
The diode situation in the 7e is a totally different thing from the switches in the 10. While the circuits work the same, in the 7e we make our own circuits, in the 10 the circuits are factory installed, so the cause/solution won't be the same.

This sounds to me like a symptom caused by a number of different things. Pinched wire, a worn wire rubbing on the gimbal, or a partly disconnected connector could be intermittent like this. A low or high voltage (Vcc, not the battery) is less likely, but not out of the question. The passive components rarely fail with human help, but perhaps a burnt part or solder ball might be visible. IIRC the board is two sided so a visual inspection is pretty easy to do.

There are a lot of photos of the 10 here and on the net, but I don't recall seeing a schematic. Since you asked for one you probably have some electronics experience! You probably know what a good wire run looks like...that would be my first inspection. Good luck in the search and please let us know what steps you take on the way to the solution.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
29 Jun 2016 17:52 #51180 by NeX
i understand that the diodes were added in the 7e setup but i was wondering if i could understand what modification was done it would give me a place to start. if maybe i had damaged one of the original diodes while i was in there then that could be the cause.

but yea you are right i do have some electronic background but i feel like a noob now, because i found the problem. my the signal from the mix switch was shorting against the signal from the Aile D/R switch, which meant at the right switch combination the two inputs on the switch matrix were joined together. and it was my fault too, i changed one of the potentiometers to a slightly larger one which was causing the short.

so a simple fix and i am glad its working, but i do feel pretty stupid!

anyway thanks for your help guys!

More
29 Jun 2016 20:21 #51193 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
It could also be RF noise pick up on the IO lines ?
If you have your cellphone next to the tx, or possibly the power radiated by the tx itself?
Could try it at rangecheck see if you can rstill reproduce the problem.

RF can do strange things and on high impedance inputs RFI can generate several volts.

I find the devo and all cables pretty badly designed in terms of RF shielding.
Normally some bypass capacitors should be at the io pins certainly at the ones connected to longer wires.
Possibly some RF Choke or ferrites arround wires?

It is worth a check.

More
30 Jun 2016 18:18 #51224 by kahuna001
Replied by kahuna001 on topic issues with buttons randomly switching
The last time something like that happened to me, turned out to be the file subsystem on the flash got corrupted. Reformat the partition that has the model / icons ...etc and loaded it up again fresh. That seems to fix the problem.

Good luck

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds