Looking for some advice.

More
30 Jun 2016 22:52 #51228 by CottonBacon
Looking for some advice. was created by CottonBacon
Hey guys,

I have a deviated Devo 7E and have started to build a 225mm acro trainer quadcopter. I have everything picked out except for a receiver. Do I just pick any 7 channel DSM2 receiver?

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2016 01:53 #51232 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Looking for some advice.
If you don't have any additional modules added, and you don't need telemetry, then a 6ch DSM2 should "do the job". 4ch for control, 1ch for modes probably, and a spare for whatever. I say 6ch just 'cause it's usually cheaper.

In some countries (EU?) supposedly DSM2 is banned now, have to go to DSMX, but if it isn't banned in your country then DSM2 "should" do fine.

Just make sure the RX will work with your frame, if it's full carbon it may easily block the signal so you may need to go for something with extended antennae for clearer reception, possibly satellites, and preferably diversity. But that all costs money. At some stage it may work out cheaper and better to install a CC2500 module and go for a frsky protocol? (from what I've heard, I have no experience)

More
01 Jul 2016 02:06 #51234 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Looking for some advice.
Well, yeah, you could. But some of them are best avoided for quality reasons, some might be a bit large for that size, some are "park flyers" or have "park flyer" telemetry range while being full range Rx's. Whether or not you want telemetry and how you're planning on flying will determine if those things matter.

Most importantly, there are at least three different options for single-wire communications between the Rx and the FC: S.BUS, (C)PPM and SRXL. Using those is recommended instead of seven PWM lines (one per channel), as that's six wires that can't cause problems by failing. Not all Rx's support all three, some don't do any, and the advertised channel count will reflect PWM connectors even if the Rx supports more than that via the single-wire protocol. So a "4 channel" Rx may handle 12 channels.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
02 Jul 2016 10:33 #51254 by ThomasC
Replied by ThomasC on topic Looking for some advice.

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: In some countries (EU?) supposedly DSM2 is banned now

Not banned in general. Existing DSM2 devices are still allowed to be sold and operated. Only newly produced DSM2 devices aren't allowed since 01/2016

Greets

ThomasC

---

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds